Stupid hardware.....some opinions needed...specifics

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I bought e Venom VA recently and already own the SH-32 and was noticing the hardware VA's get used a lot more than my software now. This has led me to start exploring some used options in another hardware VA because I just have to have some twiddly knobs, sliders, blinky lights going on while twisting out new sounds.

My budget is $600 or less. The more knobs the better. The Venom already has too little. The SH-32 is just right, so my choices were going to be:

Used Roland JP 8080
Used Access Virus - probably has to be classic because of budget
Novation Nova tabletop or Super Nova
Nord Rack 2

Or one of the new ones....

Mininova
gaiia
Minibrute

Just some opinions and why or direct experience pros cons etc.

Already have some other hardware too:
RM1x
MC307
Zoom ST224 Sampletrak
DJXII B Groovebox

Mostly want many controls for hand building sounds. Thanks in advance.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

From the list I'd probably go for the MiniBrute (if anyone has one for sale? ) because it's analogue. Maybe check out the Doepfer Dark Energy II. I have the original, and it's very good ... also has many controls and flashing lights :hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote:From the list I'd probably go for the MiniBrute (if anyone has one for sale? ) because it's analogue. Maybe check out the Doepfer Dark Energy II. I have the original, and it's very good ... also has many controls and flashing lights :hihi:
Flashing lights is a prerequisite for a synth...in my book anyways.

Wormhelmet - I have a Novation KS4 (4 octaves)that has plenty of knobs and a few sliders too. This acts a midi controller. It has aftertouch, 4 part multitimbral and affects. Oh ...and a few flashing lights.

Have fun in the hunt.

Laters Mark

get a classic virus b and you will soon forget about your other synths. :P its a beast. :)

vaisnava wrote:get a classic virus b and you will soon forget about your other synths. :P its a beast. :)
I would like to, but haven't seen the b one up for that cheap. Just the original. I'll keep looking and scouring eBay.

Some others I would love but hard to find for lower prices:

Waldorf Q
Virus C
Quasimidi Polymorph (why oh why did I ever sell mine)

Thanks for the other selections everyone. Hadn't seen the Doepfer Dark Energy before. That looks really cool. Mostly don't have room for another full keyboard, so looking for tabletop or rack units.

Blinky lights make it sound better all the time...

:D
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

blue leds make your studio 20 - 40 % cooler!

best off listening to demos and deciding which sound you like the most...they are all a bit different...
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

thecontrolcentre wrote:From the list I'd probably go for the MiniBrute (if anyone has one for sale? ) because it's analogue. Maybe check out the Doepfer Dark Energy II. I have the original, and it's very good ... also has many controls and flashing lights :hihi:
I'd chime in and agree. As a former SH-32 owner I can tell you that while it's a fun little synth, it's nothing special sonically that you won't get in software. On the other hand a Dark Energy or Minibrute will really give you some extra "oomph." You might be able to find a used Minitaur or Slim Phatty for about $600 too. If you can find an ATC-1 for $500 or so, snap it up. Not a lot of knobs, but an easy to use synth that sounds fantastic.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

my 1 cent:
spend a bit more and go for a new analogue synth with presets. cause a preset-less synth might not fit well in your rig.
dave smith prophet 08, elektron analog-4, moog slim phatty come to mind. or MFB dominon which is quite near to 600$

if you just want something cheap & queer, I recommend http://mutable-instruments.net/ way underpriced.

amongst ur choices, I'd pick the JP8080.

amiga909 wrote:my 1 cent:
spend a bit more and go for a new analogue synth with presets. cause a preset-less synth might not fit well in your rig.
dave smith prophet 08, elektron analog-4, moog slim phatty come to mind. or MFB dominon which is quite near to 600$

if you just want something cheap & queer, I recommend http://mutable-instruments.net/ way underpriced.

amongst ur choices, I'd pick the JP8080.
I see you are correct. It as no presets, but uses preset sheets to make your marks on. Integrates with other analog cv controlled modules...hmmmm. I suppose if you got a patch just right and had nothing to write down your settings with, it would become a little frustrating. Again at $500 I'm seeing these for, it's hard to believe they sell for so little. Pretty cool.

In the case of what I am looking for, I actually think this is incredible. I watched some videos. I do see the point on having more options with a digital unit with memory, but the rawness plus unbelievable price tag has me looking at the minibrute more.

The Virus And JP 8080 are both synths though that I dreamed about owning.

Despite the meh reviews on the SH-32, it is really one that I like. It has decent sound and lots of control. The only other analog I ever owned was an EX800 Korg.

I'll keep weighing options, but this feedback is good, so thanks again.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote: So....
Your taste for synths is pretty close to mine :D
From your list
I had: Roland JP 8000, Novation Supernova, Quasimidi Raven
I now have: Access Virus B, Novation Nova, Nord Rack, Waldorf mQ

I'd recommend getting the Virus B. The price/performance ratio is highest of the bunch. Novation is very different sounding, Waldorf can be had as a plugin (really does sound as good as the hw) and Nord is too expensive for it's features (though built like a TANK).
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Personally I'd get rid of the SH-32, maybe get a JP-8080 if you feel there's a Roland-shaped hole there and get a small analogue in there: why go VA all the time when you can go RA? Mix it up a bit.

How about the Korg MS2000(b)?

It sure looks the part, and I've seen them come in at around that price-range.

I don't own it, but I've been very close to pulling the trigger on it myself.

Well, after much consideration into the purpose I want this new hardware for, I have decided on the Minibrute. Patches be damned. It just has too many cool controls coupled with outstanding sound and really overcomes the single oscillator limitations in a unique way. The video demos, sound clip demos, lack of menu, one to one control ability without having to run a matrix for switching purpose has drove me to really wanting this. I'm not playing a specific song set yet anyway and I imagine if I get to know the synth really well, I'll be able to pull up the same sounds on the fly or use the preset templates and make my marks on where settings are or snap pics on my iPhone to refer to. A kaoss pad will be used with it for some added fun.

Thanks everyone for the input!

8)
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

MiniBrute should be in my hands in two days.

Going to run it through my Venom for some added fun

8)
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”