Recommend USB Audio Interface

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ew wrote:The USB 3 issues are fixed in an upcoming firmware update. Watch this space...

ew
Where do you get this information? I dont find such a thing from anywhere :)

Also looking for new audio interface running under Win8

From features (2in 4out balanced, MIDI I/O, 96kHz) the shortlist is;
AVID (former M-Audio) FastTrack C400
NI Komplete Audio 6

But both lack Win 8 drivers, and are reported to be slow on developping.
Alternatives?

Albert.VST wrote: But both lack Win 8 drivers, and are reported to be slow on developping.
Alternatives?
Don't they both run fine on the Win7 drivers?

i got a roland quad capture also, i use it live and i like the usb bus power in emergencies when the power goes out. im good for a half hour at least and by then its usually long fixed.

ground switch is nice too.

Kaine wrote:
Albert.VST wrote: But both lack Win 8 drivers, and are reported to be slow on developping.
Alternatives?
That's what I hope to find out before purchasing one of them.

Albert.VST wrote:
Kaine wrote:
Alternatives?
That's what I hope to find out before purchasing one of them.
:dog:

Yeah, sorry, I should have realised that.

The NI did last time I tried it. Not tried any of the C series m-audios on it yet althrogh I suspect it does, maybe consult the Maudio forum on that one?

Komplete Audio 6 runs great here with Windows 8 64bit.

Maybe the new Steinberg UR22, expected in shop early Februari, could be an alternative
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/au ... /ur22.html

Yeah, just posted on gz, i'll ask you guys too, I have to decide between the NI KA6 and this new UR22, both look awesome, and I'm using a traktor audio 2 with headphones at the moment which serves me well and I really like that NI drivers are not locked when the DAW is open, so I can watch youtube videos or do other audio stuff without having to close Live, which is really nice.
Do any of you guys own a steinberg interface? If so, would you let me know if this is possible with their drivers? (not having to close the DAW in order to watch a youtube video, or use winamp, etc.) I'm on windows.

What do you guys recommend? I've narrowed to these 2, NI KA6 and UR22.

Not sure about the new Steinberg, but UR28m and UR824 were pretty buggy last time I checked. Good sound, but not so good drivers.

On the other side, I upgraded to KA6 from M-Audio Fast Track Pro (which was awful) few months ago since and it's really an awesome interface, worth 2 or 3 times more imo. Sound is clear, detailed and drivers are rock-solid, fantastic. I'm on oldish AMD quad-come and run 14 GB orchestral template with some intense reverbs and fx, and KA6 allows me to run it all in real time on 256 buffer size, which is amazing. Headphone amp also has more than enough power unless you have 300+ Ω cans or if you simply listen at extremely loud levels. I honestly think that there isn't no interface to touch KA6 in terms of sound, build quality and drivers until RME Babyface (tried it, great little soundcard), which cost much more than 3 as much and doesn't sound 3 times better for sure.

And they also gave me Guitar Rig Pro for free. :!:

I'm currently looking at Scarlett 6i8, Audiobox 44vsl and KA 6. I just sold my Scarlett 2i2 which worked very, very good on my system so obviously I'm leaning towards the bigger brother. The only thing that's holding me back is that almost all features can only be reached in the control panel. The KA6 on the other hand has all controls on the hardware itself. It's also powered by the USB which can be both an advantage (truly mobile) and also the opposite - I have read that the interface might not provide enough juice for all condenser mics. The 44vsl seems to be somewhere between the two but is limited in that the two first inputs are mic/instrument only. If I'm thinking work flow it seems the KA 6 is the right one. The less I need to use software to control a unit the better IMO.

A very basic but so far really nice one for ~$105 US is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

While it is quite limited on its inputs and outputs, it seems to have great drivers and good dynamic range as well as very decent preamps. It also comes with some mixing VSTs which are really great. :)

KungKrille wrote:The KA6 on the other hand has all controls on the hardware itself...
...If I'm thinking work flow it seems the KA 6 is the right one. The less I need to use software to control a unit the better IMO.
Don't know if it might affect your workflow, but keep in mind, like mentioned in an earlier post, that the Komplete Audio 6 itself can only directly monitor inputs 1+2 (=the inputs on the front).

For monitoring input 3+4 you need to use, for instance, a DAW.

solger wrote:
KungKrille wrote:The KA6 on the other hand has all controls on the hardware itself...
...If I'm thinking work flow it seems the KA 6 is the right one. The less I need to use software to control a unit the better IMO.
Don't know if it might affect your workflow, but keep in mind, like mentioned in an earlier post, that the Komplete Audio 6 itself can only directly monitor inputs 1+2 (=the inputs on the front).

For monitoring input 3+4 you need to use, for instance, a DAW.
Yeah, I have read that. As I wrote in another post I'm planning to use a RE-301 with my host (Ableton Live) as described here. I don't think I need direct monitoring for this but you never know. I haven't decided yet and have also been thinking about 2 in/4 out cards as those should be enough for my needs. I wouldn't be able to play hardware synths and be connected to the RE-301 at the same time though.

When I upgraded my PC at the beginning of last year, I also replaced my Tascam US-122 with a KA6.

Great bang for the buck IMHO. Installing the Tascam required a lot of gymnastics. When I tried to UPGRADE the Tascam to their latest comparable model, I had to ultimately send it back. Bad firmware and other issues.

In contrast, the KA6 was just plug 'n' play. Easy. Everything just works.

Never a problem with my powered mic, or guitar DI, it has always worked reliably.

I do have USB 3.0 on the PC, but I didn't know that the KA6 was 3.0 ready, so I've always used a 2.0 port. If I use 3.0 will I get any noticeable benefits? Lower latency, perhaps?

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”