Tracktion 4 is reality - JULES DOES IT - 2 Videos on Youtube!!!!!

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

frankvg wrote:
mfkne wrote:Perhaps they told us a bit too soon? :)
Told us? YOU told us. And who told you?
Jules and Woody posted those videos via Dave Christenson, the third man behind the scenes. I found them this morning at YouTube, 15 minutes after they were posted...
Lost in Music...

GaryG wrote:As for the "cleanup", it could simply be Jules taking the code back and reviewing the features added by the other team (Loud?), multicore,
:hihi:

I think T3 has dual core support but that's it IIRC. So yes better multiprocessor support (4+) would be definitely welcome. :)

So you guys like Tracktion a lot. Care to elaborate on why?

I like Studio One 2.5 quite a lot, mainly for it's simplicity. Any comparisons that can be made?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I have S1 and it is simple to use but not as simple as Tracktion. What I like about Tracktion is it gives you the tools you need when you need them but they don't get in the way when you don't. So the interface actually educates you about how to use it, this is post Don Norman style interface design at its finest, it provides you with the visual affordances to learn how to master it, built into the interface and ergonomics rather than depending too much on reading the manual.

Plus Tracktion is THE KvR host - it's our baby, it was born and raised here. There's an emotional connection that goes way beyond software.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I should demo then!

I've referred to the manual very few times for S1
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:So you guys like Tracktion a lot. Care to elaborate on why?

I like Studio One 2.5 quite a lot, mainly for it's simplicity. Any comparisons that can be made?
aMUSEd is spot on with his thoughts on Tracktion. Just to elaborate further though...

For me...

1. The interface.

Studio One has a very well thought out interface. It is really easy to use and in some ways may be now where Tracktion might have been had it's development not stopped for so long. The Start > Song > Project Page workflow is pretty slick and IMO does not have a rival that can offer that in such a refined way in one host. Super slick stuff.

Tracktion in a way set the single window ball rolling (not sure if it was the absolute first but certainly one of them). Drag drop here and there with a use of colours that are very creatively used (and are configurable). Those arrows for filters / FX e.t.c are still a great visual way to work. It is so simple yet so helpful.

The info line is a great help as are the pop ups in T. Studio One also has it's own version which IMO is at least as good as T's

Better use of colours and visual indicators in Tracktion in some places. Studio One IMO just has a more refined UI IMO but lacks those colour options that Tracktion uses so well.

2. FX

S1 wins this one hands down. About 30 -40 built in FX that are some of the best in any host IMO. Tracktion has a nice set but IMO not nearly as good as S1.

3. Value for money.

S1 for what you get is pretty good on price. Trackion is cheaper AFAICT but T4?

4. Suppport

PreSonus have been great with support IMO. Jules was absolutely brilliant as well back in the day but the Mackie situation with Tracktion was really bad. Mackie appeared to answer emails and offer hope but support for the product simply evaporated over time. Jules appears to be back at the helm so this will likely be a far better support process with Jules.

5. Ease of use

Trackion is easier to get to grips with initially as the way you are hand held into it was and remains best of breed. Studio One is (considering all that is on offer ) still easy to get going with. S1 is very well laid out and you really cannot go wrong from the Studio One Start page onwards. Tracktion though still just seems still easier to start with.

6. Hardware

Tracktion was shipped with some Mackie units (maybe still is) but PreSonus appear to offer a much broader set of hardware that is tested with S1.

7. Workflow

The big one. Similar to point no.1. As any UI will make of break a host IMO. Again the slick S1 Start > Song > Project workflow is an easy to follow workflow. It just flows really well. Trackion in some ways was the first host with Podium maybe to offer a type of 'Start page' but PreSonus for me have added mastering (Project page) and taken the whole idea of single Window interface further than even Tracktion did.

Trackion and S1 make heavy use of drag and drop. The two way browser in S1 I think is some way ahead of Tracktion now.

Mixing e.t.c...I would prefer S1 for it's metering and the way FX UI's can be used and seen even without opening the UI in the mixer. The T UI does have that lovely visual flow with those arrows.

I would say Tracktion for a super simple workflow that is really fast. Studio One for many more features (mastering e.t.c) and FX that can also offer a slick smooth workflow. They have there similarities but S1 is quite a bit further down the road from where T was. Maybe they do not target the same type of user any more. Time will tell.

You're missing point 8: CPU usage.

As I read S1 has some problems with that depending on configuration, and for some people this is still not fixed.

Imo, there is still a problem with CPU in S1. I am certain I got more mileage in Cubase 6 when I was using it a while ago.

I like what the guy in the second video said though, many daws were trying to emulate the studio environment and for people like me that's really irrelevant now.

I am not old by any standards (26) but even I am amazed, really amazed by how fast and easy everything is on S1, especially now with Melodyne. I feel totally spoiled.

It's nice to see at least 2 Major daws keep pushing this direction, it makes so much sense.

Imo S1 relies on drag and drop a bit too much, I love the simple right click for different tools in Cubase without having to reach for my keyboard, I Can do that in S1 but it's not as elegant. And Sonar seems to have an even more elegant solution with it's auto multi-tool thing.

I'll +1 on the S1 effect selection too, I love the EQ to death.

If Tracktion 4 can deliver an even more intuitive GUI and workflow it will probably be very popular.

We just need forward thinking people who look at what we do, or more importantly we what want to do but don't often because it's too cumbersome, and make it a snap, so you don't even think about it.
Aiynzahev-sounds

I think many people are maybe unaware of just how important Jules has been within VST development :wink:

this is post Don Norman style interface design at its finest
Can you develop what is "Don Norman style interface design" ?

About Tracktion, and JUCE, well I agree with koalaboy and everybody here :D

koalaboy wrote:I think many people are maybe unaware of just how important Jules has been within VST development :wink:
Not just VST, and that would be an understatement, and he is a bloody nice fella too ;)
Duh

Wolfen666 wrote:Can you develop what is "Don Norman style interface design" ?
http://www.jnd.org/

A great man.

Wolfen666 wrote:
this is post Don Norman style interface design at its finest
???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Design ... day_Things

Classic textbook on principles of user centred ergonomic design, Norman was a psychologist who was involved in designing the Mac interface and an advocate of using affordances, constraints and mappings within the design to inform the user about the functions of the interface elements. He argued that if you need to consult a manual to perform basic operations then there is a problem with the design. Tracktion is clearly based on those principles.

koalaboy wrote:
Wolfen666 wrote:Can you develop what is "Don Norman style interface design" ?
http://www.jnd.org/

A great man.
Yeah one of my heroes and a major influence on my own clinical practice.

Very interesting, thanks !

Return to “Tracktion”