Bitcrushing for loudness???

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"a higher loudness level can be achieved through limiting, an art Noisia has mastered to perfection. They will put distortion/bitcrushing on frequencies between 4kHz and 16kHz and therefore have a crystal clear sound that will not harm your ears. Transients, though, will clearly be percieved." - Camo and Krooked

any comments?

Plenty comments here ;-)

Thinking about it: they'd first split it in half with a cross-over, and then apply bitcrushing on the +4kHz part only, then maybe filter out the +16kHz content that produces (which I cannot hear anymore anyway). You'd have to try it how that turns out.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I'm going to go test this now and will let you know what I find!

I highly doubt that ear damage wouldn't occur though!

that's my thesis!

anomandaris1 wrote:distortion/bitcrushing on frequencies between 4kHz and 16kHz and therefore have a crystal clear sound
:?

-Kim.

Alas, now they've changed the meaning of "crystal" and "clear." Or maybe they mean that bitcrushing has the sound of breaking crystals underfoot, which is absolutely correct.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

I fail to see how bitcrushing can help to increase your loudness. Distortion, yes of course, that will bring your peaks down, but bitcrushing?

Bitcrushing acts on the dynamics of your signal and basically quantizes its dynamic range. It depends on the algorithm and if things get rounded up or down, but some do get screaming loud without peaking. So you could use it as a loudness effect.

check out this one for example: http://www.ineardisplay.com/freebies/

That's a total favourite of mine and it gets really loud. You can also restrict the frequency range by filtering. It lacks a dry/wet knob though.

It is probably a technique for increasing the density of the treble, which would increase the perceived loudness.

I just tried it and all it really did was add some noise at the top of the spectrum and if cranked hard cut everything but the loudest transients.

Return to “Production Techniques”