industrial pink floyd cover - set the controls

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi all.

would love some feedback on my cover of the pink floyd classic set the controls for the heart of the sun. its an old school dirty industrial take on it.

enjoy

http://soundcloud.com/chaoswyrm/set-the ... -the-heart
ImageImageImage

Very enjoyable. I liked the Kraftwerk-style vocoder and in places it felt like early Orb. It had a mildy chaotic feel that gave the track a lot of energy relative to the original (which I probably haven't listened to for 25 years). Something for the weekend, I think.

Good work :)

Nice job on this. Sonically this resembles Front Line Assembly from the "Caustic Grip" era.

I would suggest lowering the drums and possibly shortening it a little.

the vocoder thing is cool but i would have liked it a little more up in places and the drums just a hair down. but outside of that, this totally works for me conceptually. i quite like the original but I think this is a really good and original sounding cover. drums/percussion is suitably heavy and punchy and i like the contrasting synth sounds you're using from section to section. good job! :)

seismic1 wrote:in places it felt like early Orb.
definitely! which in my book i no bad thing!!
if im honest i wasnt expecting anything much from this (huge fan of the original so you had something to live up to :hihi: ) but im so glad i gave it the chance, as this is a really good interpretation, you have definitely put your own mark in there but also stayed true to te original.
the drums as debs said do overtake it a little here and there, but hey, thats industrial for you :D

a "hearty" well done!

I like this! :tu:
An original take on a classic song - it's a bold step but it really works well. I found the vocoder hard to understand in places, but that's also true of the lyrics in the original :)

thanks for the comments everyone, they are much appreciated.

i agree...my mixing and mastering leaves a bit to be desired. tbh though as vurt put it "... but hey, thats industrial for you" is kind of my approach. i def. dont want it to sound polished and perfect. since though a few of you have commented on some of the levels...i will go back and take another look at those.

and just a side note...this track is far more inspired by the live at pompeii version as opposed to the original original one.

thanks again everyone for taking the time to listen and comment.
ImageImageImage

very enjoyable. :love:
"It dreamed itself along"

chaosWyrM wrote:.... live at pompeii........
I saw that at the cinema :shock:

chaosWyrM wrote: i agree...my mixing and mastering leaves a bit to be desired. tbh though as vurt put it "... but hey, thats industrial for you" is kind of my approach. i def. dont want it to sound polished and perfect. since though a few of you have commented on some of the levels...i will go back and take another look at those.
I think you're diminishing the track with this approach. In my opinion, the drums are obliterating the other sounds and there's too much reverb or echo on everything. The early industrial music of the late 70s was pretty lo-fi but by the mid 80s mixes were often quite polished even if the music was aggressive. The sequencing and sounds on your track are much closer to 80s industrial rather than the 70s.

For example, check out this track "Iceolate" by FLA which has a much faster tempo than your track but has some similar drum sounds. See how well mixed this is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnHgpw0Irxg

yeah frantzm, i agree there were plenty of industrial bands using a cleaner sound at that time. but that was mostly the club oriented stuff, which isnt what im shooting for. im going for the other end of the spectrum...dive, wumpscut, laibach, neubauten...that side of things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qrU5Wx3-pU

im not trying to emulate that kind of sound...im just going for that "feel". i certainly appreciate your comment and will look into how to make things clearer without loosing the dirtiness im going for. i definitely dont want one sound to "obliterate" the others...ill have to see what i can do to correct that. firstly ill need to listen to it on a few more systems as it sounds clear here, in my car, and on my phone. lol, all my own things so...i need to listen on other peoples systems.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:im going for the other end of the spectrum...dive, wumpscut, laibach, neubauten...that side of things.
Yes, I'm familiar with all of those bands. I especially like The Klinik, with Dirk Ivens of Dive, and, of course, Neubauten. I totally understand how difficult it is to improve a mix. I have been fiddling around with the mix of my last song for the last 2 weekends attempting to improve it. I'm just pointing out that I think your track is quite good but could be even better with a clearer mix.

yeah i totally understand. im new to making music and im very very new at trying to mix/master it. its quite difficult and i find it harder than making the music in the first place. plodding through is the only way to learn though...so ill keep at it.

again...i appreciate the input...thnx.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Music Cafe”