Too many incomplete songs and projects. What to do?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

too many incomplete....

Simply erase them! But before you do,
setup the trash to be immediately deleted!

deleting is an excellent idea as then there's no evidence that one is repeating oneself -- which is the other chronic 'complaint' parallel to incomplete or partial realizations

look these situations happen and should not be unexpected, one's reach exceeds one's grasp and all that.

my solution has always been to steal from the best (in as much as chord progressions can't be copyrighted)
but copying styles and favorite artists is always good -- There are 2 kinds of people in this regard: those who can actually do that and those who don't sound anything like the person/style they're trying to copy and thus come by being 'original' by a backdoor.
my other solution is to learn to really play an instrument.
(sometimes this actually makes it worse as with a limited skill set one's playing begins to always sound the same), but if one chooses a more difficult instrument, the whole mess is effectively pushed out a few years

music has many aspects; most of which are rewarding and soothing/healing if properly approached. modern electronic tools have given everyone an opportunity to do an awful lot that was unthinkable just a generation ago. enjoy the opportunity. my own sense is we shouldn't get upset about repetition or incomplete realization. why not let it be what it is?

I would make a sound library with all those bits and pieces! Or remix and mix and match parts between songs, it's always very fun!

Try and finish the track using oblique strategies
Does that make me remember something... Hmmmm...

Oh yeah, I got it ! My contribution for the KVR Developer Challenge ! :hihi:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364798

:D

Well, I would suggest you tons of things too, like to stop focus on the sound and more on the song itself in your projects, or to make people create music with you / play your music. But I think the best advice I may give you is to buy the book I quoted a lot in my project (the Frustrated Songwriter's Handbook), which is written especially about your issues.

mix everything down to audio stems, chop em up, drop into a sampler or ableton live, experiment and have fun, with no goals you may happen across things that give you ideas for the future.

rewer wrote:one folder/26 incomplete songs
that seems like a lot to me, a syndrome. then:
rewer wrote: it's really hard to get into the same mood with which I first wrote them.
the real solution is to approach it more as craft, if you really require yourself to have finished some things. I know what you mean about losing the mood, or feeling; but recreating that might be a matter of fully understanding technically why that mood is what it is.

It's good to know when to cut your losses, too.

I think I'm actually going to agree with jan in that last part. I should have cut my loses a long time ago. (as he demos the damn NI reverbs :x )

One at a time ! The only way to go !
Music is the essence of life.

https://www.srvmusicmaker.com/

srv-musikmaker wrote:One at a time ! The only way to go !
doesn't that strangle your creativity? What happens if you have another inspiration during the song you're working on? I guess the truth is it depends on what your goals are. If I wanted to spit out songs on an assembly line that might work for me, but there would be a lot of waste along the way. However I have no desire to be in the business of making music, it's my passion not my profession. I play for many reasons completely unrelated to production and I just go with the flow not forcing which way to go, ime there are many ways to go. With that said it obviously works for you because you have quite a few songs, if I try one at a time while warming up on guitar something will eventually will pop up that distracts me.

There's a line I suppose somewhere between no discipline and disciplining yourself into a corner, I'm sure I'll never know which side of the line I'm on...but what the hell, I'm happy :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote:mix everything down to audio stems, chop em up, drop into a sampler or ableton live, experiment and have fun, with no goals you may happen across things that give you ideas for the future.
I should do that, then send them to you and others outside my genre to chop up and stick in songs ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
vurt wrote:mix everything down to audio stems, chop em up, drop into a sampler or ableton live, experiment and have fun, with no goals you may happen across things that give you ideas for the future.
I should do that, then send them to you and others outside my genre to chop up and stick in songs ;)
:hyper:

anytime my friend!!!!

:D

I'm too busy obsessing and pouting to finish anything :x

i think more people are in this boat then care to admit it including me. for me, its because im not really sure what genre of music i want to write or what music i like. i write music everyday from the time i get up, anywhere from 6-12 and till i get tired around 9:30 pm but don't finish anything. but it does past the time. and being on disability at home most of the time im fine with that.

would love to be able to finish a song but im not holding my breath. i do love buying new music gear and playing around and i mostly as you could call it 'sketch' out ideas. so i hear you dude. for others, it because of writers block, bored with music, hate there own music, think they suck/are wasting there time. but you know what i say, who cares.

if just sketching out ideas passes the time, makes life more easier to bare or any other reason why somebody writes music, who has any damn right to judge there creative output or why they choose to write music.

AstralExistence wrote:...im not really sure what genre of music...
"Genre" is for the marketing guys to assign later. Just do what you want now.

Go where the piece leads you, even if it's into odd or unfamiliar territory...

Like gas, I agree with the sentiment that there are quite a few in this boat.

I'd love to be that guy. The guy who finishes things and does marvelous stuff. But here's a fact: I'm not THAT good and expect f**king miracles.

This irrational view coupled with infuriating hosts (when you look over the history) doom me completely. I don't know how many times I've said to myself "just put something out, let people tell you sucks and then improve". I mean, I can take the heat, doesn't bother me. But I expect more of myself than I'm able to do.

PLUS, as an added bonus, it's actually fun to noodle. There is a certain enjoyment to it.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”