Work In Progress

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Everyone seems to demo their fave synths these days, so I thought it about time I put something together myself and take you for a tour through Yoshimi.

Currently this in nearly 8 minutes long. I'll probably either shorten the first part, or cut it in half and stick the second part on the end, otherwise it gets a bit monotonous even though it does spin through quite a few sounds.

Mostly, I'm recording backing tracks, then improvising on top of them. There is a lot of tidying up to do, and there is more I want to add to give the best representation I can - I've only actually used 24 voice patches.

All comments and suggestions are welcome, as this is very much a moving target. When I make changes I'll overwrite the original file to save my web space, and I'll bookmark this entry so I can just bump it when I make any significant improvements.

Ride With Yoshimi

Ride With Yoshimi ogg version

P.S.
If anyone is interested I guess I could list the voice patches in the order they appear.
Last edited by folderol on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I thoroughly enjoyed the wide open atmosphere of those synth parts. It was difficult to completely enjoy though as the embedded player is stuttering badly for me :(

I'll try and grab a listen later on my other machine!

Sounds nice man!

OK. I hate your nice sounds of a perfect and gentle world.
But, do you know, you have a big talent, I like your way when you compose.
Cool.

Nice ! Very gentle sounding and soft.
I used to think the peculiar timbre of your compositions was due to the use of ZynAddSubFX, but now I know it's just your own touch :-)

Nicely done

Cheers

I agree the sounds are very subtle but also there is a variation here. Very very interesting specially for an open source synth.

Thank you everyone for your comments. Version 2 is now up.

@geof
Did you get a clean listen in the end?

@Daniel
I know you don't like the synth sounds, but it is the only way I can work. I can't afford an orchestra, and even if I could I'd die of old age before I could score anything significant!

Well now, I carried on working on this last night (a bit obsessive I guess) resulting in my being late for work this morning! Fortunately there was little to do and I actually got to leave early so could spend even more time on my music this evening :)

I've done some general balancing, and corrected a few glaring timing errors - without sucking the humanity out of it. Also, specifically, I've improved the percussion at the end of the first part, and in the third part. However, most of the work has been on the fourth part which is now longer and introduces more instruments. We're up to 27 now - not all at once :o

I still haven't decided what to to with the first part. Unfortunately(?) the melody lines interleave and it would be quite difficult to seperate them now without an obvious break.

I'm wondering if the problem a couple of people have encountered is due to the fact I've gone from working at 44.1k to 48k. I use LAME to encode in VBR mp3 so I don't know if that combination messes with some decoders. In any case, I've now put up an ogg file as well as the mp3.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Nice and warm sounds, makes me think of spring. Mixed and arranged well too... great demo!

Same for me! (the thinking of spring part..)

Were you running Yoshimi on linux?
I'm putting together a website with some stuff about ZynAddSubFX/Yoshimi. If you have any patches or works I can link to, let me know!

My website is here: http://amsynth.com

(I hear the "far reed" sound in there--love it!!)

brian
Tired of Windows? Linux offers hundreds of good distros. For more info:
DistroWatch
Some good synths for linux: www.linuxsynths.com

That is a very good collection of sounds which you have assembled here, folderol, and the melodies are light and pleasant. I listened last last night and again today after you uploaded v2. I think it has moved along nicely. I'm picking up that springtime thing as well, but I think you had a springtime piece at about the same time last year iirc.

Good work :)

OT
tehlord wrote:It was difficult to completely enjoy though as the embedded player is stuttering badly for me :(
Which OS/browser are you using? I have been seeing problems with Chrome on Win7 for the last 10 days or so. I submitted a bug report. I'm seeing problems with mp3 playback and maybe YouTube videos too. SoundCloud player seems ok. This is not a bandwidth-related problem, or a problem with any particular mp3 hosting site. I've had this problem on any mp3 I try to stream. It's something to do with the browser itself. Tab switching often sets it off, but I suspect there is a conflict of content on some pages that is also causing problems. Of course, if you aren't using Chrome, then the problem may be unrelated.

Well another extremely long session, but I think Yoshimi's ride is complete now with version 3. I did in fact shorten the first part - hopefully without losing anything, and filled the space with some new goodies. I've also done a bit more with the finale.

I wasn't consciously thinking of spring, but yes I can now hear that in the music :o

@brandc
Yoshimi is only built for Linux. When Cal forked it from ZynAddSubFX one of the first things he did was to strip out the Windows code to remove complexity.

I'm rather proud of the fact that my main sound bank collection is distributed with both Zyn. and Yoshi. :) The very latest version is at:
http://www.musically.me.uk/Collection.zip

The new development bank is at:
http://www.musically.me.uk/Continued.zip

Very original names as you can tell :P

I have been known to sit here with a silly grin on my face when I hear music that uses my patches.

As well as a few tunes dotted around various sites I have my own website:
http://www.musically.me.uk

What, no pink robots? I opened this thread expecting some sort of Flaming Lips tribute.

Nice sounds, like fluffy clouds floating by.

Winstontaneous wrote:What, no pink robots? I opened this thread expecting some sort of Flaming Lips tribute.

Indirectly it is a tribute, both to Cal (RIP) who forked Zyn. and to Flaming Lips. See here.

Glad you like the music.

folderol wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:What, no pink robots? I opened this thread expecting some sort of Flaming Lips tribute.

Indirectly it is a tribute, both to Cal (RIP) who forked Zyn. and to Flaming Lips. See here.

Glad you like the music.
I see. Judging by "Come, hear angel horns and devil trombones! You are invited!" I take it the dev puts no restrictions on the type of music that can be made with it...I checked out Zyn years ago and was struck by the peculiar license! :o

I was thinking the same thing, but you beat me to it.

Return to “Music Cafe”