What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

RP-Delay feedback

Official support for: robpapen.com

Moderators: Meffy, Concretefx, Rob Papen

KVRist

69 posts since 2 Feb, 2009

Postby UltraSniffy; Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:03 pm RP-Delay feedback

Hi (again),

I'd just like to let you know of some (intentional?) weirdnesses with RP-Delay:

1. The sat distortion algorithm seems overly sensitive, producing very audible saturation on signals as low as -60bd—all the other algorithms can be dialled in, but this is not possible with sat.

2. The UI claims the the feedback switch for the multimode filters in the delay units is a "negative feedback" switch, whereas the manual claims it simply places the filter in the feedback loop (nothing is mentioned of positive or negative feedback).

3. The manual claims the the "on" buttons for each delay line actually turn the delay unit on or off. (Ok, this is minor detail)

4. The filter on the reversers seems to be separate from the actual reverser as the reverser's mix knob only seems to dial in the reversed sound—the filter settings take effect regardless of the mix value.

Last point: I was wondering if in a future update, you could include a time-stretching algorithm (in addition to the tape and "digital" delays). This could allow for some pretty insane effects. Also, any possibility of cross-feedback between both delay units? :P

Last, LAST thing: The manual says in multiple places that RP-Delay can be a killer tape-delay. My question would be which distortion algorithm would you say is most suitable for this kind of sound?

Cheers,
US
KVRAF

3493 posts since 6 Feb, 2003, from UK

Postby Concretefx; Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi there

1) I'll check that, but it is a distortion so it would produce differences.

2) It's negative feedback , we will have to fix that in the manual.

3) We'll have to fix that in the manual

4) I'm not sure what you mean by this, do you want to explain in a bit more detail.

Future expansion, it is something we would like to look into, but I'm not sure what we would add at the moment.

About tape delay effect, personally I would say the saturation is a good effect for tape delays, but I'm not an expert in this, so anyone else have any suggestions.

Cheers

Jon
KVRist

Postby UltraSniffy; Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:49 am

Concretefx wrote:4) I'm not sure what you mean by this, do you want to explain in a bit more detail.

Cheers for answering so fast. What I mean is this:

1. Default mono delay model, sync turned off, feedback turned off, 1a mm-filter set to LP24, 20Hz, rev turned off. If you turn 1a mix from 0w to 0d, you'll hear the sound gradually fade out entirely.
-> the filter is placed (in > filter > mix)

2. Now set 1a mix to 0w and turn on the reverser. Set rev mm-filter to LP24, 20hz (like 1a before it), and try playing with rev mix.
-> the filter is placed (in > mix > filter)

Is this normal behaviour?

While testing this out, I also noticed that in Reverse model, if you want to just use 1rev (without the second unit), the only way to prevent a dry signal from passing through the second unit is to turn 2rev on and set its volume to 0. This is the exact opposite of how the delays work in duel stereo model (if you turn unit 2 off, no dry signal passes through).
KVRist

Postby UltraSniffy; Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:52 am

I can also find no difference between mono delay model and stereo delay model (with stereo turned off). If one model can be converted into the other with a simple mouse click, why include it?

Cheers!
KVRAF

3493 posts since 6 Feb, 2003, from UK

Postby Concretefx; Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:29 am

Hi there

I think I understand, hmm.

About how things work, as always when talking about this, it's difficult to alter things because of backwards compability.

For obvious bugs, we would change things, because everyone would want bugs to be fixed.

About the order, well it shades into how things are done, and so is more difficult. You can't really alter things like that, without it changing how songs sound to people, after they have updated. This would be a bad thing, I think, and RP-Delay has been out a year or two so that could be a large number of people.

So the reverse path & stereo delays, I personally would keep as they are, because changing them would cause more problems than would be fixed.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Jon
KVRist

Postby UltraSniffy; Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:42 am

Good, no problem, I just wanted to make sure that the order was going to stay like that so that I wouldn't run into the issue you describe.

Cheers,
US

Moderators: Meffy, Concretefx, Rob Papen

Return to Rob Papen