MuLab 5 - 7.1 Audio

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm new to MuLab and loving it lots!!!

I'm using MuLab to create audiovisual sessions for "mind machine" type devices. There are several light control protocols, a 2-channel protocol uses a 19.2kHz signal on each channel, a 6-channel protocol using several different high frequencies on each channel and yet another that directly uses audio to drive the lights.

The first two are easy and I have written Mux presets to handle them very nicely. For some purposes I am using MuLab in preference to dedicated AVS software.

The last requires 7.1 audio - it appears to the computer as USB 7.1 Audio device, with two channels providing sound and the other six controlling R/G/B LEDs, left and right.

It can be done by exporting stereo pairs and putting it together in Audacity (not really a practical option as it makes testing and tweaking a painful multistep process) but I have not found a way to do it with MuLab.

Using ASIO4ALL I am able to use 7.1 on my PC's integrated VIA chipset, however the USB device, based on CMedia 106/XEAR 3D uses a proprietary driver that is not known to ASIO4ALL. Generic drivers cannot be used with the device.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Craig

craigtavs@wordpress.com

No worries. Problem solved. After a bit of fiddling and comparing the devices in Control Panel/Device Manager and Sound ASIO4ALL detected the device correctly and it all works beautifully.

Should anyone wish to do similar, assuming the output device is working correctly, it's just a matter of adding additional Audio Outs to the session mux (or any other instrument/effect mux and/or adding additional Masters if many tracks/devices are to be routed to particular channels.

How cool it is to write music and have 3/4 of it rendered in lights!

Cheers,
Craig

craigtavs@wordpress.com

Return to “MUTOOLS”