What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

How loud can a bass be without causing ear damage?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

ToonboyDigital
KVRer
 
11 posts since 22 Jan, 2013, from Exeter, Devon

Postby ToonboyDigital; Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:28 pm

Unless you have Flat response monitors there is no point relying on just listening to the mix! Stereo speakers or standard headphone will dress and excite the sound. Also club limiters In my experience knock out at around -10db on the low end (30-200k) So just keep the sub under that and it wont flap on a bad system.!

Last week I had the joy of a function 1 system in Bristol.! Knowing this, I knew I could get away with the extra couple db so went higher.! truth is you wont be able to tell until you play it live. Then you can tweak it go to a different club and its completely different.!
Toonboy Digital is a music producer from the southwest of England. Starting his music career back in 2007 he is 6 years on and is producing and playing his exclusively diverse and innovative sound of electronic music.
Mike20
KVRian
 
614 posts since 18 Dec, 2010

Postby Mike20; Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:51 am

On the subject of that equal loudness test, does anybody know if this is good or bad?

I didn't bother with 16k+, my headphones roll off the highs quite a bit i always put high hats too loud in them

Image

Cheers!

Mike
Anybody can do anything if they set their mind to it
lfm
KVRAF
 
2808 posts since 22 Jan, 2005, from Sweden

Postby lfm; Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:13 am

Mike20 wrote:On the subject of that equal loudness test, does anybody know if this is good or bad?

I didn't bother with 16k+, my headphones roll off the highs quite a bit i always put high hats too loud in them

Image

Cheers!

Mike


It deviates too much in the high range from Munson curves. On the sound pressure level it should match Munson.

That you would actually have higher sensitivity in the high range than mids - that's just wishful thinking.

You would have to go up in level in low and high end, and mids as a reference.

This is how I interpret the test.
Mike20
KVRian
 
614 posts since 18 Dec, 2010

Postby Mike20; Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 am

lfm wrote:
Mike20 wrote:On the subject of that equal loudness test, does anybody know if this is good or bad?

I didn't bother with 16k+, my headphones roll off the highs quite a bit i always put high hats too loud in them

Image

Cheers!

Mike


It deviates too much in the high range from Munson curves. On the sound pressure level it should match Munson.

That you would actually have higher sensitivity in the high range than mids - that's just wishful thinking.

You would have to go up in level in low and high end, and mids as a reference.

This is how I interpret the test.


Thanks for the reply, that test would actually make some sense surprisingly, i had some problems the year before last with ETD (constant build up of pressure) and stuff, left me with tinnitus, i still have crackling noises in my ear every day and stuff but most of the problems have cleared now

However when i went for a test he said i had some mid range loss which he didn't know would come back or not (whether it was a side effect of the crackling etc.) - i noticed i struggle a bit with 'p' 'm' 'n' sounds, well words that begin with them letters, which are around that range while i can still hear high frequencies crisp

So maybe it makes some sense i'm not sure, i think the higher frequencies are the most important if i'm correct? I'm only 22 years old so it taught me to lower the volume if anything!

Cheers

Mike
Anybody can do anything if they set their mind to it
lfm
KVRAF
 
2808 posts since 22 Jan, 2005, from Sweden

Postby lfm; Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:58 am

Mike20 wrote:Thanks for the reply, that test would actually make some sense surprisingly, i had some problems the year before last with ETD (constant build up of pressure) and stuff, left me with tinnitus, i still have crackling noises in my ear every day and stuff but most of the problems have cleared now

However when i went for a test he said i had some mid range loss which he didn't know would come back or not (whether it was a side effect of the crackling etc.) - i noticed i struggle a bit with 'p' 'm' 'n' sounds, well words that begin with them letters, which are around that range while i can still hear high frequencies crisp

So maybe it makes some sense i'm not sure, i think the higher frequencies are the most important if i'm correct? I'm only 22 years old so it taught me to lower the volume if anything!

Cheers

Mike


You may have distorted hearing in mid range - as you mention. And it would be severe if being that flat.

Start as instructions say - in the middle of the chart for 1kHz, you started rather high up.

And set starting frequency to modest level with colume knob to headphones.

Don't forget that neutral headphones - good for mixing - might be the best alternative. Many cheaper models may have weaknesses boosting highs etc.

Take care of your hearing.

There are earplugs(Bellman is one) that adjust to give flat frequency response even when attenuating 15-25dB. But I guess these might be used to correct your response when doing mixing - just an idea I got now. So you get normal response in your mids as well. These are adjusted and molded to your ears on individual basis.
Last edited by lfm on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
olepro
KVRAF
 
1540 posts since 19 Apr, 2003, from Copenhagen, Denmark

Postby olepro; Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 am

Bass at very high levels and very low frequencies cannot hurt your ears, but it can kill you.
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy
Mike20
KVRian
 
614 posts since 18 Dec, 2010

Postby Mike20; Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:09 am

@lfm, yeah to be honest i have gotten used to my ears now, i did start at 1khz and worked downwards then upwards,

I produce almost everyday for like 15 hours a day as well (below 60db) so maybe that could affect the test i'm not sure..

heres a picture of the frequency response of my headphones

Image

I don't think that means much though, it's just something i've learnt to live with almost, but who knows.. after this crackling noises and shit goes away they might return to normal

Cheers again

Mike
Anybody can do anything if they set their mind to it
ToonboyDigital
KVRer
 
11 posts since 22 Jan, 2013, from Exeter, Devon

Postby ToonboyDigital; Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:20 am

Sorry Wrong thread.!
Last edited by ToonboyDigital on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toonboy Digital is a music producer from the southwest of England. Starting his music career back in 2007 he is 6 years on and is producing and playing his exclusively diverse and innovative sound of electronic music.
lfm
KVRAF
 
2808 posts since 22 Jan, 2005, from Sweden

Postby lfm; Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 am

Mike20 wrote:@lfm, yeah to be honest i have gotten used to my ears now, i did start at 1khz and worked downwards then upwards,


Cheers again

Mike


I meant, top - bottom - in the middle - like instructions say.

You run really high output level from the test - from start.

4-5 steps down from where you start now, maybe is a good spot.

Even with what you said - it does not look natural, the results you got.
Looks like some compression is kicking in.

I test this odd soundcard, more than 10 years ago, Creative Extigy, and even running spdif signal from portastudio into computer they had this going through their circuits that did compression and I don't know what. It really degraded signal and musical content.

So going for 15dB or so lower starting level, I'm thinking that could be avoided if anything like that happends and those high levels you ran.

Good luck, and take care of your hearing.
:)
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Production Techniques