No Linux ??? (from the maker of Juce ???)

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am going to try this now but I am really surprised that there isn't a Linux edition!!!

I am migrating to Linux each time more, mostly it is DAWs that keep the Windows partition but I was really expecting a Linux version given that it is from the maker of Juce.

Anyway I will post comments on the software anyway, later.

Actually, it will probably run in Linux - we just have not tested it yet.... Try the demo and let us know how you get on :)

Many thanks.
Tracktion Software Corporation

Sweet. Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks Guys !!!!

TSC wrote:Actually, it will probably run in Linux - we just have not tested it yet.... Try the demo and let us know how you get on :)

Many thanks.
That is really nice, thank for the info.

This is what I posted on the other thread!
Second impression: fast/lightweight, nice features, nice price, old workflow/interface/jargon but once one is used to it it may be "fast enough" to do stuff, nice modular rack too.

Given the 60$ and some time to get used it may be fine for some cool stuff I cant tell very well yet but seems to have a nice feature set (for the price), but the interface is old and the workflow could use some big improvements too, although you can record stuff very very fast, need more testing, for those used to new stuff it need some digging to get how to do stuff, but it may not be that much slower than newer stuff. The Racks are modular and seems better than many things out there so it is a big plus. No native instruments and not many fx (eg no distortion). The midi editor could get some work too (although no much less features than Reason's but much less that S1).

Anyway given the price and potential upgrades it may have some big potential.
It does give a bad first impression given the old school look/workflow, but maybe it is just me, once one tries it better it get much nicer, still it need improvements and native instruments/drums/fx (even if simple ones) no bundled third party stuff preferably (more copy protection to deal with).

Thanks for the great feedback - we appreciate all the comments - good or bad - they will help us shape a great platform moving forward.

T4 was not about new features - is is about building a strong platform for growth. Please be sure to visit our website and log some feature requests - you will all have a hand in the evolution of this product.

Many thanks,

W.
Tracktion Software Corporation

Linux is a really interesting question, and TBH we've not had chance to think about it yet..

From a technical viewpoint, yes, 99% of the code would run happily in linux. We do use a few 3rd-party libraries that would need to be replaced somehow, so it wouldn't be trivial to port, but is certainly do-able. Is there a business case for us doing it? No idea! But yes, it's certainly one of the many, many things we need to consider!

jules wrote:Linux is a really interesting question, and TBH we've not had chance to think about it yet..

From a technical viewpoint, yes, 99% of the code would run happily in linux. We do use a few 3rd-party libraries that would need to be replaced somehow, so it wouldn't be trivial to port, but is certainly do-able. Is there a business case for us doing it? No idea! But yes, it's certainly one of the many, many things we need to consider!

Thanks for the replay.

Allow me to advocate on Linux side.

1- It would probably be the best DAW on day one (considering that Bitwig haven't released their yet (if ever) and we cant compare, also we don't know their price);

2- There is a big latent Linux interest on DAWs as it is easy to find how-tos wine related to DAWs, but still not good enough, and many thread dedicated to linux;

3- There seems to be a lot of interest in Linux from PC manufacturers as both inexpensive and expensive (fewer) PC manufacturers are emerging each day with linux;

4- There is a lot of devs starting to work for Linux from lightworks (video editor), Unity/uniengine (game engine), Bitwig...

5- Steam! It seems they really had success with the Linux port and are doing steam box pcs with linux too.

6- Advertise Juce.

The bigger problem probably would be plug ins, but if you could had a synth to the native filters + the rack it would be really nice IMO.

Anyway do what is best overall, personally I think Linux would be a good bet, but it is up to you guys :D .

pc999 wrote:
3- There seems to be a lot of interest in Linux from PC manufacturers as both inexpensive and expensive (fewer) PC manufacturers are emerging each day with linux;
Really? I haven't noticed that. Dell was the only serious PC manufacturer that tried to market and sell PCs with Linux but it turned out no one was really interested so they dropped it.

Maybe some local/obscure manufacturers offer such an option but only because it doesn't cost a penny, not because they are interested in Linux itself.

Linux is a niche OS as far as "home" computers are concerned. And it's not changing, especially now with fading PC sales and the general move towards mobile computing.

pc999 wrote:
5- Steam! It seems they really had success with the Linux port and are doing steam box pcs with linux too.
How can you say that Valve had success with Steam on Linux when it's currently in beta only? And it only runs on one distribution (Ubuntu). And Steam Box is just a prototype at this stage. We'll see if they really succeed or not with this idea.

jules wrote:Linux is a really interesting question, and TBH we've not had chance to think about it yet..

A business case? Not really. As much as I love Linux, it has what, 1% of the desktop market, if that?

tenshin111 wrote:
pc999 wrote:
Really? I haven't noticed that. Dell was the only serious PC manufacturer that tried to market and sell PCs with Linux but it turned out no one was really interested so they dropped it.

Maybe some local/obscure manufacturers offer such an option but only because it doesn't cost a penny, not because they are interested in Linux itself.

Linux is a niche OS as far as "home" computers are concerned. And it's not changing, especially now with fading PC sales and the general move towards mobile computing.
Asus is offering too (at least netbooks like PC)

https://www.system76.com/

Severeal smaller PC maker are doing it too.
tenshin111 wrote:
pc999 wrote:
How can you say that Valve had success with Steam on Linux when it's currently in beta only? And it only runs on one distribution (Ubuntu). And Steam Box is just a prototype at this stage. We'll see if they really succeed or not with this idea.
The several Ubuntu systems have more users than Windows 8 (not counting other distros), acording to Steam statics.

I had the idea that the SteamBox is confirmed too.

There certainly is a market and need for serious music making tools in linux.

However, if a full native linux version is not in the cards, then atleast meet us linux users in the halfway and make sure Traction works smoothly with wine. Please. :help: :oops:

Tracktion 4 seems to work good under Ubuntu 12.04 with Wine 1.4.1 here. Haven't tested it extensively, but at least creating a new project, scanning VSTs and loading a VST synth* and playing it works. Audio output via WineASIO to jack 2.

* Amazingly, with Tracktion I can my Terratec Komplexer VST without problems under Wine. I couln't get this to work with other Linux VST hosts like festige or fst (Komplexer would show but produce no audible output). This means I can finally use Komplexer under Linux. Hooray! - That is, if and when I can purchase the upgrade, which currently isn't possible for me because I can't reset my password (see the web site bigs thread) :(

I would like to chime in and say I would love a Linux version of Tracktion as I've moved almost exclusively over to various flavors of Ubuntu lately. I'm gobsmacked about how much faster and more responsive Ubuntu is compared to OSX Mtn Lion and Windows 8 on the same hardware. I've played around with Ardour and it's pretty impressive, but having used Tracktion since T1 I just love Tracktion's interface.

Anyway... thanks for T4!!!!

And +1 for Linux.

I decent DAW available for linux (like T4) would make me completely switch to linux Ubuntu and throw OSX to the bin.

Return to “Tracktion”