Official Tracktion 4 launch

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Only just heard the news - bloody hell! There's not much in the software world that can make me grin like an idiot, but this is one of them.

Welcome back, Jules and team!!

tenshin111 wrote:
headquest wrote:Successfully logged in and upgrades all present and correct, BUT...

Ouch - Windows XP not listed at all.

Looks like the end of the party for me then :-(
The world has moved on since Windows XP, really. It's an 11-years old OS which in IT world is like a century. More and more software developers are dropping support for XP and rightly so. Is it really that difficult to upgrade?
Seriously?? :lol:

Reality Check: until yesterday Tracktion was assumed to be "abandonware", but Windows XP is still (according to very recent surveys) used by a significant percentage of computer based musicians.

As for other developers dropping support, my next major software purchase will be the Ableton Live 9 Suite, which is being released on Windows XP as always. And why ever not?

AVID released Sibelius 7 without XP support last year, and have had to back track and release it for XP because of the huge backlash.

My other software - Reason and Audition - all still support XP with their latest recent updates.

In terms of me upgrading to Windows 8, sure when I get a new computer that is what I will get. But "if it ain't broke, no need to fix it", and my current system is still steaming ahead with big productions.

Here's a track that I released on Soundcloud this week, made in Live 8 on Windows XP - an OS that is still very much current! Hope you can appreciate the scale of the production as you listen ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/keyquest-music/to-build-a-city

tenshin111 wrote:
headquest wrote:Successfully logged in and upgrades all present and correct, BUT...

The world has moved on since Windows XP, really. It's an 11-years old OS which in IT world is like a century. More and more software developers are dropping support for XP and rightly so. Is it really that difficult to upgrade?
Yes -XP is 11 years old. However, many people use it as it is stable and does what they need. Furthermore, there is a cost associated with upgrading from XP to Win7 or Win 8 - this may in itself make it difficult to upgrade for some ...

Goseba wrote:I hope we can change our user name away from our email address (unable to at present) because it displays when you visit the forum. I would rather just have Goseba show.
oh that's an essential. thanks for the warning!

Jafo wrote:Hmm, am I the only person who's required to login before I can get the demo?
Yes it is extremely strange, but what is more strange is that you don't even know how much the software costs unless you have a user account, even as a first time tracktion buyer.

I can't imagine lots of newbies will be happy creating an account to simply find out the price of tracktion. this is the first time i have ever seen this on a website. very strange

TheoM wrote:
Jafo wrote:Hmm, am I the only person who's required to login before I can get the demo?
Yes it is extremely strange, but what is more strange is that you don't even know how much the software costs unless you have a user account, even as a first time tracktion buyer.

I can't imagine lots of newbies will be happy creating an account to simply find out the price of tracktion. this is the first time i have ever seen this on a website. very strange
Nah, not strange at all. It's, uh... strategic. It's a subtle way to get prospective users accustomed to the Tracktion workflow: Input on the Left - Output on the Right. Now if we could create a new account using bendy arrows it'll be perfect. That or it's a bug. :D
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

I'm a bit worried cause neither is snow leopard. That i did not expect, especially when lion + sucks for audio in comparison, particularly with logic 9. (apparently 10.8.3 is going to fix things, but we will see)

T4 is installed on my old PC Under XP, and it's all right...

pquenin wrote:

T4 is installed on my old PC Under XP, and it's all right...
So if I download the existing demo and install.... it should be okay?

To be clear - it works but isn't yet fully beta tested?

If so I'm happy to install it and give any beta feedback necessary, if it helps?

Thanks for the info :-)

TheoM wrote:I'm a bit worried cause neither is snow leopard. That i did not expect, especially when lion + sucks for audio in comparison, particularly with logic 9. (apparently 10.8.3 is going to fix things, but we will see)
As I noted on my post on the previous page, I'm running the Mac demo on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 just fine (as far as I've tested).

Unfortunately, the authorisation bug has struck me also. I'm waiting for Woody to sort it out.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

TheoM wrote:

It says the price on the front page in the moving main panel.

That being said there are several sites that do require you to register to see prices and it is annoying, as is requiring people to put a product in their basket to see the price.

Would be nice if you didn't have to login to get the demo though as I can't login, the login process is borked.

Spitfire31 wrote:
TheoM wrote:I'm a bit worried cause neither is snow leopard. That i did not expect, especially when lion + sucks for audio in comparison, particularly with logic 9. (apparently 10.8.3 is going to fix things, but we will see)
As I noted on my post on the previous page, I'm running the Mac demo on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 just fine (as far as I've tested).

Unfortunately, the authorisation bug has struck me also. I'm waiting for Woody to sort it out.

/Joachim
Just to confirm, the demo seems to run ok on Snow Leopard for me, too. (Alas, the authorisation bug is also present :( )

Ok yep SL here too.

Been playing with it since my last message. Crashed scanning some plugins otherwise ok.

Man as much as i adore tracktion, loading and playing with it shows how much it really *has* aged. It needs a feature/bugfix quick smart. I've already located some serious bugs, just compiling them to write them in a topic here.

Anyway as it stands, i hope the guys are serious about listening to us, cause as much as i love it, i am just so comfortable with logic finally, and T4 would really need to get it's act together for me to consider changing.

Why would i? well i like ultra fast load and 12mb installers. I like indi devs. But more than anything, i like the fact that we get zero feedback from apple re logic, and i feel this will be totally different with T4. But yeah, in it's current state, it's not something i could seriously even consider as replacing logic.

No Paypal option :(
Amazon: why not use an alternative

TheoM wrote: Man as much as i adore tracktion, loading and playing with it shows how much it really *has* aged. It needs a feature/bugfix quick smart. I've already located some serious bugs, just compiling them to write them in a topic here.

Anyway as it stands, i hope the guys are serious about listening to us, cause as much as i love it, i am just so comfortable with logic finally, and T4 would really need to get it's act together for me to consider changing.

Why would i? well i like ultra fast load and 12mb installers. I like indi devs. But more than anything, i like the fact that we get zero feedback from apple re logic, and i feel this will be totally different with T4. But yeah, in it's current state, it's not something i could seriously even consider as replacing logic.
Fair points, for sure.

Also playing with T4 demo reminds me why I didn't upgrade from 2 to 3...

Something went a bit odd with the UI in version 3: some of the buttons and fonts are tiny (for example in the loop browser section) while others are over-sized (for example in the Transport section). And the classic input widgets were replaced with dull, less intuitive ones that need to be armed instead of just dragged into place.

In many respects playing with this is deeply nostalgic, but also shows how much Ableton Live has developed in the intervening years, and how much I have developed as a musician and producer since back then.

The great news is that T4 lives, and Jules is back. I think they have a great start point with Tracktion, but now a lot of catching up to do in order to make up for half a decade's lost time.

Return to “Tracktion”