Earworms - I get 'em bad

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do you get them?

(For those of you unfamiliar with the name, here's the Wiki article.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm

Today it's Johnny Winter's "Ain't Nothin To Me" - which is easy to deal with, because I can play the CD, listen to it, process it and SCRATCH THAT EARWORM!

That's the only way I've figured out how to deal with them - to listen to the piece. Because if I don't, it's going to loop around and around in my brain. And not the whole song, usually just a fragment.

Sometimes it's kicked off by hearing a brief bit of the music. A lot of times it can be started by even a textual reference or a passing visual reference. (You KVRers are GREAT at posting stuff that starts an earworm. :x .)

One of my very worst earworms is a popular Christmas song by B*rl I*es. Every year I get nailed in a supermarket or a store that's playing it on the and it starts off an earworm that lasts for days, looping endlessly in reassembled fragments. I hate that song.

But what's got to be the worst is when I wake up with one that I can't identify. A couple years back one nailed me and hung on for a week and I did not know what it was. It drove me nuts. Finally, somehow I identified it as Michael Nyman's creaky organ closing credits to the film "Ravenous". I went to Youtube and scratched that sucker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHVXAMVC53M

There is definitely something wrong with my brain.
Last edited by SODDI on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I had Hawkwinds - Lord of Light flying around in my head for the about 2 months at the end of last year. I didn't need the stereo in the car going I just listened to that on repeat inside my brain.

I did not realise they had a name for that phenomena.

The worst one was an ABBA song that was stuck for days. I can't even give you the name because that will start it up all over again.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

I woke up every morning for the best part of three months with 'Surprise! You're Dead' by Faith No More in my head. Had to buy the album on CD in the end (as I had lost my original vinyl copy).

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”