Blarg

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Blarg

Price being too low is a weird argument. Sure, YOU wouldn't bother with silly little prices sub 20 dollars or whatever, but if it's a synth I like and the money gives the synth maker some encouragement or lets them buy themselves something as a form of give-and-take then why the hell not? I find the notion that anything that isn't earth-shatteringly original should be free rather depressing.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Congrats on the release! I just bought my copy, and it really is a very nice synth with some nice wrinkles.

chris_b wrote:
Jbravo wrote:I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding something, but when I use the initial preset, ENV4 automatically controls the amp of OSC1, irrespective of whether it's specified in the modulation matrix. Is this deliberate or a bug?
It's deliberate - there's a mention of it in the Modulation page of the manual. Envelope 4 is hard-wired to the level of all three oscillators.

Admittedly it's not immediately obvious, but there's no point having an envelope solely for controlling amplitude when it can be a useful for modulating other stuff as well. it's a feature inspired by the Ensoniq ESQ-1.
ok thanks for clearing that up. After playing around I decided it was probably intentional 8)
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

I just bought this, too. Really clever and well thought out. It has really large range of sonic possibilities.

The only suggestion I would make is to call the presets something a little more informative than pad 1, pad 2 etc. When people demo a synth it helps to get a sense of what the dev thinks it can do.

I have already made several of my own patches that I am pretty happy with, and I am not really the great from scratch normally. I might wind up using this at least as much, if not more, as some of the more well known synths I have, because lets me create my own sound pretty easily.

Props to the dev.

Congrats to the dev!
Nice sounds, lots of good ideas in the design.
Recommended

ravasb wrote:The only suggestion I would make is to call the presets something a little more informative than pad 1, pad 2 etc.
It could have been worse - originally the presets were just called Sound 01, Sound 02, etc.

I had a go at naming the presets, but ended up with daft sounding stuff like Derp Bass and Lolwut. Not particularly evocative.

I don't know why it is, but I've always had a problem not just with naming things but with words in general - sometimes just a simple forum post takes me ages because I end up repeatedly editing stuff when it doesn't look right.
contralogic | YouTube | Twitter | Google+

chris_b wrote:
ravasb wrote:The only suggestion I would make is to call the presets something a little more informative than pad 1, pad 2 etc.
It could have been worse - originally the presets were just called Sound 01, Sound 02, etc.

I had a go at naming the presets, but ended up with daft sounding stuff like Derp Bass and Lolwut. Not particularly evocative.

I don't know why it is, but I've always had a problem not just with naming things but with words in general - sometimes just a simple forum post takes me ages because I end up repeatedly editing stuff when it doesn't look right.
numbers are fine! How do you accurately describe/name synthesiser sounds? It's like dancing about architecture (to paraphrase Zappa)
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

Eh, don't sweat the naesayers. For what it's worth, it looks like a well laid out synth, and what really matters in the end, is, does it inspire people to make music? Does it have good sound? Is it useful in your music making process or workflow

I mean, sure, it might not be Dune, or Zebra, or Diva, but if it does what it does well, or has certain features that are particularly good, and the sound is decent, then it's a decent synth. IMO, if someone can't deal with a 600ms gap in the sound, to bother demoing and seeing how it sounds and works...well...that's just being petty. :P I hope this does well, and encourages you to keep developing. :)

Oh, and FWIW, I really liked RPS-1, and thought that was quite well done. I like the idea of having probability based values that change or morph the sequence over time.

Edit: Okay, I downloaded the demo and played with some of the presets. My initial impressions are yeah, I think this is worth the $10 it's going for right now. I think it's got a pretty good sound going for it, and that it's capable of some neat stuff. As for the sound itself, my inital impression is that it is punchy, but a bit on the bright side. Not necessarily thin sounding, but very crisp, and like I said, it's got kind of a punch to it. I think this could be good for cutting through a mix. Or, playing with the EQ, you could probably dial it back a little for more subtle uses.

So yeah, I think this is a pretty good sounding and very useable synth. The layout is also easy to read (at least in Reaper on my monitor, which is 1440x900) The 600ms is noticeable when it hits, but the 15s between dropouts is fine for seeing how the synth sounds in general. I think $10 to $20 is a reasonable asking price for the work effort and quality of sound.

I think the sound is on par with Mausynth, but with a more traditional layout and different capabilities. And I really like Mausynth.
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | YouTube | Blackjack Rose | Studio Gear List
Primary Instruments: Roland VR-730, Deepmind 12 | Other Instruments: Nord Lead 2X, Roland JD-Xi

Thanks for checking it out!

As for the "bright" sound that you mentioned - I think that's maybe more of a aspect of the presets and not an inherent characteristic of the synth?

But on that point: most of the raw waveforms are produced additively by combining 256 harmonics by default - the number of constituent harmonics can be reduced at the oscillator stage rather than addressing any excessive brightness further down the signal path with filtering or EQing.
contralogic | YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Funny, we were having that discussion about SE synths in another thread... Blarg is definitively a good one :)
It reminds me a lot of Flexoid, with fewer features (still more than enough, though) and a different skin.
I like the modulation matrix :)

It is a bit dark after a while, FL-like, maybe white letters would have been easier to read than those darker ones.
Controls are not double-clickable to set them to default values or zero (I know I am spoiled :D ).
No noise wave forms?
No panning as an LFO target?

Ah, found noise hidden in oscillator type D :)

I like the fact that you programmed presets that can actually be used, at least as a base for one's own creations :) Nor did you set the volume too loud like so many others do :)

Bought too
Not only for Blarg, but as a thank you for all your great contributions :D

Totolitoto wrote:Bought too
I bought Feldspar years and years ago, long before it went freeware, and I still use it in many of my tracks these days! Best 10 bucks I ever spent! Thanks, Chris 8)

~Brendan
[Insert Signature Here]

Feldspar is still nice despite its age :) What I like about it for instance is that its envelopes are more or less retriggered when hitting the same key twice. On the new synth that doesn't seem to be the case, which kind of ruins some pads with certain filter and amp attack-release configurations.

bailees7irish wrote:
Totolitoto wrote:Bought too
I bought Feldspar years and years ago, long before it went freeware, and I still use it in many of my tracks these days! Best 10 bucks I ever spent! Thanks, Chris 8)

~Brendan
Haha yeah me too. It was one of the first synths I purchased :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Was playing around with the formant stuff in Blarg, reminds me of some Brazilian music of the 80s, and of Stevie Wonder's that girl :)

https://app.box.com/s/rhb0j7l9z7qgnv20zcm1
No external effects, except reverb because the built-in one is not good.

No idea which synth SW used for the refrain, if any, but it sounds similar...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eagQKwVendA

I hope the developer switches to normal PayPal payments one day so that I can finally buy his plugin. I don't feel like filling in all my personal data in the order form of that intermediary company I have never heard of :P

Return to “Instruments”