Need help in choosing 1 Softynth to learn

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DCAM Synth Squad?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:you have komplete, start there

massive is a good synth to learn on...and what about reaktor...some fantastic synths to learn on that are included in the install, then the user library for when you want to grow some more

save your money till you find out what it is that you aren't getting from komplete, then buy something to fill that gap
+1
I love Zebra, but if you've got Komplete there's enough quality in there to keep you busy. I know all too well the allure of some new synth, but if you won't learn what you've already got what makes you think you'll learn something new?

WhySoLazy? wrote:Hello

I have 200 $ and want to buy new softsynth and learn it "inside-out" .

The two that I thinking about right now are Sylenth1 and Zebra 2 . They both sound great IMO and I hear only good things about this 2 .

I have now Komplete 7 that include many of NI's synths but I think that they are not in the same level as Sylenth1 and Zebra 2 .

My real concern about Sylenth1 is that there wasn't any update since 2010 ( I think it's operating great right now , but my concern is about getting support on future OS's and DAW updates )

Any advice and suggestions for another synths besides this 2 is welcomed

Thanks
If you have Massive in my opinion start there. It is an extremely versatile synth and believe me you will learn a lot from it about good synthesis methods, it's very sensitive to gain staging, has a ton of modulation possibilities which are all very visual and easy to follow, a brilliant sound and the wavetables are like nothing else I've used.

It's filters are also fantastic, each one giving you real usable results and you can carry the learning to other synths because it's got a great variety. Clean, very rough distorted, double notch and band-reject and comb filtering. It's effects are first rate too.

It has PM which is for the most part the same as FM in most synths so you will learn some things about that.

I'd say with Massive most of what you learn centers around core synthesis found in many analog synths and wavetables found in digital synths, so you will really gain an excellent foundation in both words rather than it having exclusive features which you wouldn't be able to apply to other synths.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Edit, double post.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I keep trying synths some I buy most I just demo I'm always coming back to Zebra and Bat Man uses Zebra so it's a no brainer. It should be A choice Between Diva, ACE, Zebra.

Learn Absynth and Massive, because you've got them and they are astounding in terms of sound quality, character and sound design possibilities. Absynth alone could keep you busy for months.

WhySoLazy? wrote:Hello

I have 200 $ and want to buy new softsynth and learn it "inside-out" .

The two that I thinking about right now are Sylenth1 and Zebra 2 . They both sound great IMO and I hear only good things about this 2 .

I have now Komplete 7 that include many of NI's synths but I think that they are not in the same level as Sylenth1 and Zebra 2 .

My real concern about Sylenth1 is that there wasn't any update since 2010 ( I think it's operating great right now , but my concern is about getting support on future OS's and DAW updates )

Any advice and suggestions for another synths besides this 2 is welcomed

Thanks
since you already have Komplete 7 I will say why not save your money? Massive is one of the most powerful synths out there. FM 8 is no slouch either. I own Sylenth and Massive and I find them to be equal in quality. I have played with Zebra but I cannot really wrap my head around it.

Reaktor or Alchemy

bluedad wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:you have komplete, start there

massive is a good synth to learn on...and what about reaktor...some fantastic synths to learn on that are included in the install, then the user library for when you want to grow some more

save your money till you find out what it is that you aren't getting from komplete, then buy something to fill that gap
+1
I love Zebra, but if you've got Komplete there's enough quality in there to keep you busy. I know all too well the allure of some new synth, but if you won't learn what you've already got what makes you think you'll learn something new?
I had other synths before I purchased Zebra. Zebra just clicked for me. It made immediate sense, it has a sound I immediately liked, and so I found myself learning more and more enthusiastic to figure things out.

Someone else may have that experience with a different synth. I have Absynth, FM8 and Massive. They are all fine synths, yet I still ended up taking all 3 off my computer. Some people love one or more of them. I don't happen to. I got them super cheap. I think many people get Komplete because it is such a good deal, but not necessarily because they really like the tools.

Just as a matter of features and capability, one should be able to do anything one wants with Komplete. But that is not the whole story. I also own Kontakt. I took it off my machine as well. I realized I just wasn't using sample libraries and so was not using it.

It took me a while, and some wasted money, to find what I liked and enjoyed working with. So I think one has to be honest with oneself. Am I just being lazy and not learning what I have and so running to the next new thing, or am I genuinely not satisfied with my current tools. I think it takes some exploration to figure these things out.

Learn the freeware Synth1, save the 200$ for the time when you will know what exact payware synth you need.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

ANA, Diva

Use what you have in Komplete (Massive, Absynth, etc.)...

Save your money for Omnisphere. That is the ONE you would want to learn and focus on, IMO.

pdxindy wrote:
WhySoLazy? wrote:
outcastrising wrote:
dune_rave wrote:Zebra!
or Alchemy
+2 on Zebra (many different types of synthesis in one.) if you buy Dark Zebra as well as Zebra 2 you will get Zebra 3 for free. Also Spectrasonics Omnisphere is AMAZING and could very well be a one stop shop for you this would be my "stranded on an island and can have one synth!" The thing with Alchemy and these are my top three synths btw is it lacks FM synthesis for example but man you can mangle your own samples in bad ass ways! All three of these IMHO are my personal faves.
When they are going to release Zebra 3 and should I wait for it or grab the 2.5 version ?

Thanks
It will be a year before Zebra 3 is out... So if you are going for Zebra, get Zebra 2.5 now.

If you also get The Dark Zebra, then you get a free upgrade to Zebra 3 when it comes out... The Dark Zebra has approx 400 additional presets (lots of Dark Knight stuff), but it also has the filters from Diva in it and 3 extra filter types including the Tyrell filter. It also has an extra effects module which is a resonator. I think TDZ is worth it for the features alone.
I agree 1000% It comes out a $20 difference a no brainer IMHO.

Sopranos wrote:Use what you have in Komplete (Massive, Absynth, etc.)...

Save your money for Omnisphere. That is the ONE you would want to learn and focus on, IMO.
And this. :D

If based on the synths i got i had to make a choice for a single one it would be probably Tone2 ElectraX, KV331 Synthmaster 2.5 or Waldorf Largo.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”