Ableton Live 9 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:In my short time:

-the drum packs are all fugged up. They not longer have grouped stuff (like snares neatly all together) and stuff isn't organized like 8 was. Plus because the new "packs" had to be installed, they mess with 8 now.

-we've discussed the indexing issue which isn't critical on my system but it's something they need to address.

-there is some kinda way to install packs that isn't clear, but it's too late for me anyways. But all pack names have disappeared making it impossible to tell if it's "session drums" or "drum machine". Maybe it's a new feature? :hihi:

-the beta board is very difficult for me to navigate. And it seem nobody is there (though obviously that is not the case)

Don't mistake my idiotic bitterness from KNOWING BETTER THAN TO BETA completely sway you though, there are some nice features and it's not crashing....so that is good. But
it does feel like skating on thin ice... not crashing... but shakey at times...

for me, the drums are organization of Live 9 is really nice.

I click on Packs under Places and everything is laid out right there.

granted, that is only for the things I've downloaded with Live 9 Suite, but I like it.

dw

dusted william wrote:for me, the drums are organization of Live 9 is really nice.

I click on Packs under Places and everything is laid out right there.

granted, that is only for the things I've downloaded with Live 9 Suite, but I like it.

dw
What I mean is that now "snares" are no longer together. So session drums for example: Used to be on 8 (actually it's still that way) all the different snare/toms/etc had sub groups. Now, they are just separate tracks. It's not cool!

Again though, don't get me wrong, it's not a dog or anything, I'm just pissed because 8 isn't quite the same and I was REALLY happy with 8 (I can't tell what kit is what under 8 anymore)

I see what you mean.

dw

Y'all are scaring me away from the beta...

I'm looking forward to the new features in Live (though I've already got The Glue, so I'm missing about a $100 value on the upgrade). I've just got this fear of it becoming the DAW equivalent of the Next Soundcloud. Though it doesn't look to be that radical (or that...wrong).

I'm surprised though that, after all this time, there were not significant updates to some of the instruments and effects. Granted, there are so many solid third-party plugs (even free), that this is probably not a deal breaker for anyone, but an enhanced version of Analog, maybe a better Reverb (and Amp)? Doesn't sound like there are changes there (unless I'm missing something).

I know what you mean, but they did improve the compressor, gate, eq8. They also added a convo reverb as an m4l device, and slightly changed operator, changed the center freq and let you modulate fixed freq oscillators and added a new ladder filter. Not sure if there were any other changes beyond that though since thats all I see posted

For me I guess it really depends on how much the suite+m4l upgrade price is. At 100 its probably a no-brainer, anything above that though and I might wait to see what the wigs have in store since apparently they are getting closer, depending on if its a time limited upgrade price

ezelkow1 wrote:I know what you mean, but they did improve the compressor, gate, eq8. They also added a convo reverb as an m4l device, and slightly changed operator, changed the center freq and let you modulate fixed freq oscillators and added a new ladder filter. Not sure if there were any other changes beyond that though since thats all I see posted

For me I guess it really depends on how much the suite+m4l upgrade price is. At 100 its probably a no-brainer, anything above that though and I might wait to see what the wigs have in store since apparently they are getting closer, depending on if its a time limited upgrade price
Forgot about the eq8 updates - that will be a nice addition.

I've got the suite, so if the update price is right the addition of M4L will be nice, but since BitWig has some type of modular system, that may skew me.

I'm going to have to narrow it down - as it is I've got Renoise and am loving how it forces me to work differently.

dusted william wrote:I see what you mean.

dw
Well, it IS a beta so.......

Nobody has responded so far when I posted on the beta forum. I have no idea if it's something they are totally aware of and fixing it. Everytime I log into my account the same questions appear. Is there any activity over there? It's gotta be the hardest site to navigate I've ever seen......I type in questions and it doesn't DO anything :shrug:

by the by, I finally figured out how to navigate the beat forum better. I wonder why the "start" page comes up with all those outdated topics?

I just love how recording audio is now. Either I TOTALLY missed it in 8.4 or this is improved. When a record a clip, it doesn't require going back into the clip and adjusting the time. I admit I'm pretty dopey in this area but now unless I let it go way past that bar, it loops the two bars I recorded. This sure makes recording audio easier.

I'm really happy with the Live 9 update for sure!

Can't wait for Push :D

dw

I see PDC is the hot topic over there too :hihi:

hibidy wrote:I see PDC is the hot topic over there too :hihi:
My main gripe with Live is the way it freezes.

If you do any side chaining, you can't freeze that track.

It drives me crazy.

dw

I still can't seem to get the session automation recording to work right for some things. e.g. every time I record a track using midi cc to control an XY (eg the XY in Grain delay) when I play it back the little "reenable automation" button keeps turning itself on and blocking the playback of the automation. If I try and shut it off the automation plays for maybe a second or two more then turns itself back on again. It's crazy. So now I can record automation at least, but it doesn't play back properly.

hibidy wrote:I just love how recording audio is now. Either I TOTALLY missed it in 8.4 or this is improved. When a record a clip, it doesn't require going back into the clip and adjusting the time. I admit I'm pretty dopey in this area but now unless I let it go way past that bar, it loops the two bars I recorded. This sure makes recording audio easier.
Yes I think it is also linked to the global quantization setting that sits up next to the metronome now, so you can specify if it is 4 or 8 bars etc also..

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”