Sound goes in and out of tune: speaker problem?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a pair of second-hand Jamo speakers connected to my laptop and synthesizer.

Lately the sound coming out of those speakers (mp3/wav files played on the laptop, or me playing on the synth) has been sounding weird. For eg, when I listen to a piano piece, it sounds as if the piano is going weirdly in and out of tune.

Can this be explained?

ALL piano pieces or just one particular one? all songs you listen to out of the speakers?

I know for a fact that if your room doesn't have any sound treatment, lowish frequency sounds (bottom three octaves on the piano) can seemingly change their pitch when you change your position in the room. This can be very small changes, like moving your head a couple inches. Sound waves are funny sometimes. (actually sound waves stay pretty much the same, it's rooms that are funny sometimes!)

It's not just one particular piece. Yeah, my room doesn't have any sound treatment. I guess that must be it.

I don't believe it to be room or acoustic problem at all.

A friend of mine very proudly wanted to play some music over a bluetooth device to a hifi unit and this sounded really unstable and shaky signal. Sounded almost like a magnetic tape recorder with poor battery.

We found that power saving options made it not deliver properly.

Overall there are many things inside a laptop that can be affected by power saving options. Different chips can run half speed and going in and out of power saving might make it be out of tune - kind of.

1. if on battery - set it to power adapter.
2. look what power saving options there are.
You can usually go into many individuall chips and functions in laptop and set how it's to behave.
3. Anything usb - if taking too much power all together(usually 0.5A allowed) should be considered total on all connections for laptop. Use usb hubs with external power.
4. it may be a faulty device - going in and out of power saving even with power adapter.

A few things I think might be involved...

All right, thanks.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”