What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Moving Data Folder screws up third party libraries

Official support for: camelaudio.com

Moderator: Camel Audio Mods

krankyone
KVRist

116 posts since 12 Oct, 2006

Postby krankyone; Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:45 pm Moving Data Folder screws up third party libraries

So I bought Light Space. Nice.

I had my samples on a different disk from the Alchemy folder with presets etc. I used a symbolic link (mac) for the samples folder and everything worked up til now.

So I run the installer and it asks me where I want to put the data and I point to the disk where my samples are. My mistake.

I eventually got presets in the right place but the samples extracted but never went where I wanted. They kept going to the default location.

So I decided to move the Data folder (Alchemy 1.5). I moved everything from the Alchemy folder in Application support into the folder where the sample folder was. Alchemy let me use this as the data folder.

Great! Light Space now works, so do all of my other camel audio libraries.

Now all of my third party libraries can't find their samples. Even though the path shown in the error looks like the right path.

Why is this so complicated?
Last edited by krankyone on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krankyone
KVRist

116 posts since 12 Oct, 2006

Postby krankyone; Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:25 pm

This gets funnier by the minute. It dawns on me that now all of the samples are at least in the right place, but the presets are confused. Since this used to work, I moved all the non sample data back to the default location in Application Support and went back to using my symbolic link for the samples, just like before, right?

So I go to move my data folder back using "Move Data Folder" since I guess that this just sets a path in a prefs file somewhere. I select the default folder and I get an error message that says it's not a valid data folder! Geez guys, it's the default location! Can it be more valid than that?

Anyway, despite the cryptic error message, it stopped looking at my other disk for stuff, went back to using the default path, and now everything works. I could have manually unrared the samples, but Col got tricky and didn't create a separate folder for Light Space, he merged them in with his other biolabs stuff, and since I also have his first library, I would have manually done each subfolder copying one at a time. Pain in the ass no matter which path I take.

I spent 15 years as a software developer.
I love you guys.
But I've never seen anyone make something so complicated in an effort to make it simple. It's just a bad design.

PS Light Space is sweet!
ugo
KVRAF

5461 posts since 6 Jan, 2003, from Leesburg VA, USA

Postby ugo; Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:00 am

We're very sorry to hear you've had problems with your installation. Unfortunately there have been some installer bugs related to having data files in an alternate location on a Mac and we have been working to resolve them. The next official update should fix this, and you will likely find that the next public beta (coming soon) will work better for you. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. We realize it can be frustrating to spend time sorting through installation problems instead of being able to spend the time making music.

Moderator: Camel Audio Mods

Return to Camel Audio