Does this sound dissonant/non-musical to you?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I have a few synth riffs in a song sketch I was working on.. It has two Sylenth patches kind of layered on each other and I think the sounds blend together nicely. But the thing is, the other one is basically a "detuned" chord kind of sound, which means when layered these sounds are dissonant, according to music theory. Now I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this, as I personally like the sound, even though there is that dissonance in it I think it adds a nice kind of droning, melancholic feel to it. Or are my ears just messed up :help: :x
Sound clip: (Featuring the riffs followed by the individual sounds)
https://soundcloud.com/vyboze/hook-24

No. Not my cup of tea, but don't sound dissonant.

Not in a bad way.

I'm fairly sure the kind of dissonance you're talking about can be found in pianos depending on what tuning standards they use.

Are the first few sounds in there all locked to minor thirds? Reminds me a lot of the old 90s rave sounds where a minor third piano stab would be pitched around in the sampler. Can get quite dissonant, but it's a sound which has plenty of cultural heritage so it doesn't sound particularly unusual to most ears.

Thanks for the input!
cron wrote:Are the first few sounds in there all locked to minor thirds? Reminds me a lot of the old 90s rave sounds where a minor third piano stab would be pitched around in the sampler. Can get quite dissonant, but it's a sound which has plenty of cultural heritage so it doesn't sound particularly unusual to most ears.
Have to admit I'm not sure about those minor thirds etc. :) but what you said about cultural heritage makes sense to me. Even though these "sonics" aren't based on western music theory, after these few decades of techno etc. people have got used to it.
I guess one just needs to let their ears decide what sounds good, what doesn't :)

Return to “Music Theory”