Were you ever turned off by a synth that visually carters to a specific style/genre?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If so, which synth(s) was it and why? Would be interesting to hear some others opinions!

As for me there are some synths that I think sound great and/or have some great features but the developer decided to use a visual design that tries to please a very specific target group. One example of this would be the SubBoomBass. The name itself is already a terrible choice for a synthesizer but the graphic design with it's graffiti labels just turns me off. Generally I prefer to steer away from synths that try to carter especially to one contemporary music style, like Hip Hop or Dance music. It just feels awfully cheap to me if devs do this and then even slam a hipster-looking UI on it.

I agree, and SubBoomBass is a perfect example.
You are currently reading my signature.

sexy :love:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Yeah, SubBoomBass, I'd never even demo it, I hate hip hop and R'n'B... can't help the way I feel :shrug:

I really love Razor for it's "in your face" modern sound, but it seems to lean towards it being "for dub-step" going by most of the pre-sets.

an-electric-heart wrote:Yeah, SubBoomBass, I'd never even demo it, I hate hip hop and R'n'B... can't help the way I feel :shrug:

I really love Razor for it's "in your face" modern sound, but it seems to lean towards it being "for dub-step" going by most of the pre-sets.
I think Dubstep is actually the pinnacle of Electronic music horribly gone wrong. It irks me especially with Reason REs lately. Seems that every second RE developer thinks he must provide some Dubstep wobbling bass demos and patches. :idiot:

layzer wrote:Image
sexy :love:
That's actually original, a trait that I value very much. ;)

lil phatty by moog. i would never consider owning one because of the name.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:lil phatty by moog. i would never consider owning one because of the name.
Or a Metasonix Assblaster. :lol:
EAT - SLEEP - SYNTH
http://soundcloud.com/pocvecem

layzer wrote:lil phatty by moog. i would never consider owning one because of the name.
I think that "KingKorg" (name of the upcoming Korg synth) is even worse which does not mean that the synth is really bad.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

The case frontpanel design looks actually very nice, classy, timeless. But yeah, the name... :dog:

sys2074 wrote:SubBoomBass. The name itself is already a terrible choice for a synthesizer but the graphic design with it's graffiti labels just turns me off.
I think there's a skin for it without the graffiti.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

Not entirely genre- or style-specific, but some people dislike the OhmBoyz GUI embellished with anime-type cartoon characters. For those users, OhmForce also provide a more quotidian GUI.

OK, so not really a genre per se, but I'm turned off by synths like Poly Ana that try too hard to look "vintage", but just end up looking tacky/cartoonish instead.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

I'm trying hard to like Steinberg's Hypnotic Dance VST rompler.

But I find that it is more or less only useful if you are doing hypnotic dance in the hardstyle or hard trance generes :roll:

Return to “Instruments”