What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

linuxDSP FC70 Fairchild 670 Limiter plugin now available

Official support for: linuxdsp.co.uk

Moderator: linuxdsp

linuxdsp
KVRist

136 posts since 2 Mar, 2009, from Oxford, England

Postby linuxdsp; Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:53 am linuxDSP FC70 Fairchild 670 Limiter plugin now available

The linuxDSP FC70 vintage limiter plugin for linux audio workstations is now available. Inspired by the classic Fairchild 670, modeled using measured data and schematics from original hardware, the FC70 brings the smooth effortless dynamic control of the original to linux.

Featuring a fully balanced design, as in the original hardware, together with innovative DSP which provides a delay-free feedback topology replicating the original circuitry. More information and free demo available at http://www.linuxdsp.co.uk/download/lv2/download_fc70/index.html
Endor-8o8
KVRian

632 posts since 29 Apr, 2012, from Mos Esley

Postby Endor-8o8; Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:10 am

Hello, will there be any windows version of this one ?
"It is better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep."
linuxdsp
KVRist

Postby linuxdsp; Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:25 am

There will be Windows / Mac versions, but I can't commit to a definite release schedule at the present time.
Endor-8o8
KVRian

632 posts since 29 Apr, 2012, from Mos Esley

Postby Endor-8o8; Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:31 am

Great news! No problem, I wasn't expecting a specific release date, just a confirmation. :)
"It is better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep."
stanlea
KVRAF

4621 posts since 11 Feb, 2005, from Bordeaux France

Postby stanlea; Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:56 am

Wow ! Congrats for this release. Looks nice, I'm eager to hear the sound.
You can't always get what you waaaant...
waltercruz
KVRian

523 posts since 3 Dec, 2011

Postby waltercruz; Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:06 am

Great!
KVR/eSoundz: waltercruz
My soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/waltercruz
Burillo
KVRAF

1644 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:22 am

now if only Linux had something akin to BFD... i'd be all over it!
From Russia with love
Ricardus
KVRist

56 posts since 28 Apr, 2011, from NY State, USA

Postby Ricardus; Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:35 pm

Can't wait to get it.
Ricardus
KVRist

Postby Ricardus; Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:03 am

I know you mentioned making a mono 660 somewhere, recently, but how hard would it be to take this, and just cut it in half? Give me identical compression characteristics to the 670, but just make a mono version?
Burillo
KVRAF

1644 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 am

maybe it's got some complex crosstalk simulation so it might not be that simple. what prohibits you from using this plug with a mono source?
From Russia with love
linuxdsp
KVRist

Postby linuxdsp; Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Yes - there are some things which affect both channels in the stereo emulation, but it is possible to provide a mono version, and that is planned (as a free addition for anyone who has the stereo version) - If you're having trouble using the stereo version in a mono channel, then I guess this is in Ardour2? I think A3 will (finally at long last, and about time etc etc) allow mono / stereo plugin / channel compatibility, which has long been an unnecessary and annoying restriction / failing of an otherwise excellent DAW.
Ricardus
KVRist

Postby Ricardus; Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:00 pm

A3 does, but I don't think Mixbus does, yet. I primarily mix in Mixbus these days.

I look forward to the mono version.
Ricardus
KVRist

Postby Ricardus; Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Another question. Some of the modern 670 clones have added a few new time constants that work better with more modern percussive material. Is this something you would consider? Would be it difficult?
linuxdsp
KVRist

Postby linuxdsp; Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:05 am

Its not difficult to add, what's difficult is how it fits with the current concept of a Fairchild compressor emulation. Either we try to stay true to the original with all its limitations (some of which I would argue should be kept, because, like the original hardware it encourages people to think differently about how they approach various tasks, with all the creative benefits which can come from that) or we make something 'a bit like a Fairchild compressor', but with all kinds of extra tweaks (which some would argue makes it 'just another compressor' - of which there are many)
We could add extra time constants, side-chain filtering, make the 'balance' and 'DC Threshold' presets available on the front panel and all that 'good' stuff but personally, one of the things I see far too often especially with linux audio software is an over-abundance of tweakable settings - to the extent that sometimes you lose the focus on what you are trying to achieve.
I realise that's straying from the original question, but its important to have a concept of just what the product should be. Even adding a stereo 'Linked' mode wasn't a clear-cut decision as this wasn't in the original hardware design, but it was felt that it had become a commonplace addition to original hardware, which, in a modern context would be almost unusable without it. I'm not sure that's the case with the time-constant settings (yet)
Ricardus
KVRist

Postby Ricardus; Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Would it be possible to make the JACK version show the loaded patch name, in the title bar, if it is known? (or somewhere?).

So if you load a preset from disk, it displays the name.

So if I have multiple JACK instances running, I can differentiate between them.
Next

Moderator: linuxdsp

Return to linuxDSP