BR: Plugin scan nightmare

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

operandx wrote:Plugin scan seems overly sensitive and borks on plugs that T3 had absolutely no problem with. This really needs sorting, after countless restarts I have yet to complete a full scan of my vst folders. nyone else having this problem? :(
the vst scan worked fine with me ( I have got round about 200 plugins), but my AU scan made Tracktion crash.
Lost in Music...

ok, same here, plugin scan crashed at least 7 times and I had to start tracktion always again. the slate plugs do not work except vcc and also none of the soundtoys plugins work (radiator, decapitator,..).

Thanks guys

Couple of important notes re: the plugin scan..

For the next release I'm going to wrap the scan into a child process, which will make things much nicer. Since there seem to be more problems here than I expected, I'll make this my top priority.

As well as scanning folders, the plugin list on the settings page can have individual plugin DLLs drag-and-dropped onto it now, so you can add specific plugins if you need to.

It'd be really helpful if before posting that a plugin is crashing, you could try dragging just that plugin into the list, and see if it loads on its own. Very often a perfectly innocent plugin might crash because of something stupid that the previously-scanned one did, so you may be blaming the wrong one!

..oh, and if any of you are JUCE programmers, T4 now shares the usual JUCE plugin wrapper code. So if you're interested in exploring problems with a particular plugin, you can load it up for debugging in the JUCE plugin host and see what's actually going on.

jules wrote:Thanks guys

Couple of important notes re: the plugin scan..

For the next release I'm going to wrap the scan into a child process, which will make things much nicer. Since there seem to be more problems here than I expected, I'll make this my top priority.

As well as scanning folders, the plugin list on the settings page can have individual plugin DLLs drag-and-dropped onto it now, so you can add specific plugins if you need to.

It'd be really helpful if before posting that a plugin is crashing, you could try dragging just that plugin into the list, and see if it loads on its own. Very often a perfectly innocent plugin might crash because of something stupid that the previously-scanned one did, so you may be blaming the wrong one!

Good to know Jules, really have been tearing my hair out with this.

Great to see you back defibrillating Tracktion back to life :)
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

Hello Jules :-)

Well, about the plug-in loader, T4 has been able to see all my plug-ins at the first try. But the alertwindow was unable to display what was happening in real time. The host looks like it freezes, with its status at 0% during all the process, and then it was finished and ok

I remember I had the same problem with the JUCE demo host...

Hi Jules,

This doesn't appear to work for me on Windows 8 x64, running the v4 demo. Is it a Mac OS or 32-bit function only?

Thanks in advance,
G

Photo_G wrote:Hi Jules,

This doesn't appear to work for me on Windows 8 x64, running the v4 demo. Is it a Mac OS or 32-bit function only?

Thanks in advance,
G
Confirmed as working in Win7 64bit. But, it's not visually apparent. The drag part works, but the drop appears to not occur depending on the sort order of the plugins.

Photo_G, can you try again, but before you do, confirm that the VST sort order is set to something simple, like alphabetical? Then drag 'n drop something either with the letter A or Z, so you can easily see if it's added.

There's no festival of lights and sounds as one would expect when a VST has been accepted into the Tracktion Hall of Filters. A little visual or audio success signal might help.

The fail message is obvious. T still crashes on 'evil' plugins with this DnD method that it crashed on during the infinite scan-in-one process.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

Looks like the plugin scan to update plugins is scanning them all instead of just the new ones. Plus the scan on startup isn't working. It didn't pick up on Diversion when I installed it, which led to me running the scan update which scanned everything.

False alarm on JamStix. I reloaded it and re-scanned, and all is well!

G
Photo_G wrote:I crash on Jamstix 3.5, which is essential for me.

G

Mauvehead wrote:Chokes on Waves AU plugs (a mixed bag of Waveshell 7 and 8 ), anything Togu AU...

I'm on an '11 MBP running OSX 10.7.5...these plugs work fine elsewhere.
Ran through all my Togu stuff no problemo - what op sys?
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Only Absynth4, UVIWorkstationVST and z3ta+ have been deactivated in T4 here.

I compiled the debug build of Plugin Host and here are the results (I am a super-duper-weeny amateur hacker so debugging is beyond me) if they are helpful...

With z3ta+

Code: Select all

Creating VST instance: z3ta+
Critical error detected c0000374
Windows has triggered a breakpoint in Plugin Host.exe.

This may be due to a corruption of the heap, which indicates a bug in Plugin Host.exe or any of the DLLs it has loaded.

This may also be due to the user pressing F12 while Plugin Host.exe has focus.

The output window may have more diagnostic information.
First-chance exception at 0x7710e653 in Plugin Host.exe: 0xC0000374: A heap has been corrupted.
Unhandled exception at 0x7710e653 in Plugin Host.exe: 0xC0000374: A heap has been corrupted.
*** edit: inspired by Integatron's report, I tested with Reaper and although it scanned okay, it crashes Reaper when inserting into a track. ***

With Absynth4

Code: Select all

First-chance exception at 0x11ed68d7 in Plugin Host.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x54831acb.
Unhandled exception at 0x11ed68d7 in Plugin Host.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x54831acb.
(Call stack location is in Absynth4.dll)
*** edit: again, it turns out that this has failed the scan in Reaper and is unavailable. ***

With UVIWorkstationVST (v2.0.3).... I get a "poof" crash. Every time.
*** edit: this IS working in Reaper. ***

I am attempting to add the plugins via DnD. Using latest stable build of Juce, downloaded tonight.

Win 7 x64
Last edited by captain caveman on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

For reference only... z3ta+ is running OK on win xp sp3.
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

@mandolarian: Thanks for the tips, but when I try to drag a plugin to the list in Windows 8 x64, I get the circle-with-a-slash indicating that I can't drag (or drop) here.

G

I believe eventually, if Jules codes an "external" plugin scanner that spits out errors and simply sends a message to the main program that tells it to disable the plugin and continue on with the scan, all of these problems could be solved.

Then we could send the errors and we could progress from there.

In my humble opinion.

RonC

Return to “Tracktion”