Bassdrum Key / David Guetta

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi everybody,

in this video bellow David Guetta referes that he pitches the bassdrum to the key of the track (Min. 1:25).

My question are, how do you get it on logic and with which plugin do you analyse the key?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEfeh0bQ ... r_embedded

Thank you!

well a lot of people can do it by ear after a while. I don't use Logic, but you need a frequency analyzer or EQ that will tell you the pitch/note. Voxengo Curve EQ comes to mind.

does it really matter much or is it not bad if i use g5 instead of c5 for example?

Well it is gonna be really high for a kick, but hey, artistic decisions....

It's not always best to tune your kick drum to your bass, if they are perfectly in key and your kick/sub are playing at the same time you may get phase issues/ cancellation

Something to bare in mind

Mike
Anybody can do anything if they set their mind to it

Mike20 wrote:It's not always best to tune your kick drum to your bass, if they are perfectly in key and your kick/sub are playing at the same time you may get phase issues/ cancellation

Something to bare in mind

Mike
No, if they are perfectly in key and phase they won't have any cancellation issues. If you don't tune your kick, you can end up with all sorts of phasing issues. Its usually best to tune your kick to some degree to minimize any phasing issues. There will always be phasing of some sort if your kick/sub overlap, but if you tune it properly you can normalize the phasing spikes/gaps due to pitch differences instead of having it random and all over the place.

Maybe this helps, I've always made it like that:
I always play the main Melody part (in my case mostly a piano in the Verse)
togheter with the kick drum pitch 1 or 2 octave up. so i can clearly hear, if the key of the kick matches. if it doesn't, I simply pitch it up/down by a few semitones.
After that, i pitch it down to the right octave.

I think it's okay, if you choose a key of the song. If your song is in C, then it's also okay to choose a kick in G for example.

Hope this helps :)
Dios

Just drop the kick into an exs24 and play around with the pitch until you feel it out. If you want to detect the key of the sample kick, izotope iris is a really intuitive sampler that is worth looking into.
https://soundcloud.com/itsjacuzzi/jacuzzi-feud
Hiphop Producer from Honolulu, Hawaii

Keep an eye out for my Trap EP coming this February

Melodyne percussive detection algorithm can also help to tune your kick.

Tune the kick to the root or the fifth.

Is there an easy way to find the key of the kick drum and tune it without having to throw the sound into a sampler? Like a plugin especially for that?

i recommend you do it in some synth because u lost naturalness of that sample of kick..

i got one time very nice drums synthesizer:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/microto ... nic_charge

and if i do what u want to do i use that and u will have 100% in tune kick and u can also make in tune snare and hats or whatever..

but dont forget..

if your song is in for example E not snare will be in E that is if i remmember good eight semitone from kick.. i should verify that.. but next thing what i dont know surely but probably like i read in this post is it true but kick drum maybe shouldnt be in key of song maybe six semitones down but i really dont know and i dont mind.. (i use ni maschine samples and that is prettiest drums i ever heard:) nevermind..) u must figure it somewhere.. but last thing what i remember, i read it from wikihow, kick drum should be in E..

hope help just a little..
trust analog.... (owner of digital)

So changing the pitch on a kick in EXS24 won't mess with the "expression" of the original sound? When changing the pitch on guitars in Melodyne for example, the sound (not just the pitch) changes for the worse - it sounds enclosed.

I wouldn't want to change the key of a kick too much.

Try and find a sample that is of the key your working in, or maybe 2 notes out, then use transposition.

Any more than that and the kick starts to degrade imo

Return to “Production Techniques”