new synth (Oberheim SEM on steroids) - December, 18.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:Well, regarding the LFO knob it says in your own manual, I quote:
"Center = off (doubleclick)"
I think it would make sense to practice what you preach :D
Sometimes usefull changes are made AFTER the manual is written, and many persons are not reading the manual at all (e.g. asking how to retune the OSCs knobs correctly), EVEN I preach !READ THIS FIRST!   :D
ImageImage

Well, so why is the current double-click position more useful? Why that particular frequency and the triangle wave instead of the square?

In case you are bored, would it be possible to use the double-digit display in the MIDI Channel/Controller section for displaying the semitone values of the VCO frequency knobs while tweaking them? 8 octaves equal 96 semitones, would fit on that double-digit display :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Well, so why is the current double-click position more useful? Why that particular frequency and the triangle wave instead of the square?
These values were choosen after a long period of customer survey
and evaluating parameter ranges of hundreds of classical synths
using the same high mathematics the german politicians are using in their daily work...

In case you are bored, would it be possible to use the double-digit display in the MIDI Channel/Controller section for displaying the semitone values of the VCO frequency knobs while tweaking them? 8 octaves equal 96 semitones, would fit on that double-digit display :)
Mmmh - possible, but the frequency knobs are not incremental ("stepwise")....
Last edited by WOK on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Oh, I see :hihi:

I know, I was just thinking of a solution without using + or - before the number. Another option might be to display simply 1 through 11, which would mean + that number of semitones up from the next lowest double click default. Should be clear then from looking at the knob...

Good night.

if your stuff is S-e it should be in the S-E forum category. if other people "release" S-e they should be using that section.

Otherwise i'll keep asking because i'll forget who makes C++ plugins and who makes S-E plugins.

it might come across as trolling but its not intentional
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

I guess the makers of SE synths can not really be called developers, let alone programmers. I don't know if WOK does any programming or uses just standard modules (most people selling SE synths seem reluctant to answer that question, maybe because with a mere SE synth one can hardly charge beyond a certain price point). Judging from the filter sound I assume the latter. It's a bit like, once you have heard one SE synth, you have heard them all :) No offense :) While the sound quality may not be the greatest, some of those SE synths offer features that real developments lack.

realmarco wrote:if your stuff is S-e it should be in the S-E forum category. if other people "release" S-e they should be using that section.
Otherwise i'll keep asking because i'll forget who makes C++ plugins and who makes S-E plugins.
it might come across as trolling but its not intentional
fluffy_little_something wrote:I guess the makers of SE synths can not really be called developers, let alone programmers. I don't know if WOK does any programming or uses just standard modules (most people selling SE synths seem reluctant to answer that question, maybe because with a mere SE synth one can hardly charge beyond a certain price point). Judging from the filter sound I assume the latter. It's a bit like, once you have heard one SE synth, you have heard them all :) No offense :) While the sound quality may not be the greatest, some of those SE synths offer features that real developments lack.

:roll:

Merry Christmas....     

ImageImage

As I said, no offense, it was just a general remark on my experience with SE synths. Some time ago I was considering getting SE myself and developing my ideal synth. But I decided it was not worth the effort. Since I am no programmer I would have been limited to using other people's finished modules and the sound would never have been extraordinary no matter what.

I must admit that I was a bit disappointed by the 24db filter sound in Uncle Sam, apart from the resonance issue it seems to be one of those shhh filters that looses its sound definition when opening the filter. In my view, the big strength of your synth is in the mid and low frequency ranges.

I was wondering, is there no demo version to download and try? I didn't see any on your site. I guess people might want to try it before they fork out 58 euros :wink:

Merry Christmas to you, too!

fluffy_little_something wrote: I am no programmer I would have been limited to using other people's finished modules and the sound would never have been extraordinary no matter what.
this
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

WOK wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Is it just me or does the 24db filter always sound as if resonance were on, even if it is set to zero?
I had a quick look and in fact there is a mistake with the knob scaling. I will make an update for this (after Christmas :wink: )
I also hear some noise when playing chords at higher octaves, makes me wonder if that plugin uses any oversampling. Speaking of noise, I often hear a slight short noise when pressing a key, even if attack is very long. Changing the release time doesn't seem to change that, either.
Please save a program (.fxp) of this setting and send it to me.
There are some analog noises (specially when "old" is on), but it should not be too audible.
Hello again :)

A month later, have you corrected that issue, yet?

Have you looked into the click issue I mentioned? You had asked me to send you an example patch, but since your synth does not have a patch manager of its own and my DAW saves patches in some other format, I can't send you such a patch. But really, I described the issue precisely, you should be able to reproduce it if you listen closely :) In case anyone else bought Uncle Sam, have you noticed those clicks as well?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Is it just me or does the 24db filter always sound as if resonance were on, even if it is set to zero?
Mails with update download link have been sent!

I often hear a slight short noise when pressing a key, even if attack is very long. Changing the release time doesn't seem to change that, either.
I can not confirm this here.
I need a .fxp preset file (for example saved in Reaper or EnergyXT) or a screen hardcopy of the settings and info which host / samplerate / Windows version.
ImageImage

Received the new version, thanks :)

Will try and find a suitable patch and a way to send it to you...

I was just playing a pad and noticed that unlike with Charlatan and many other synths, Uncle Sam starts envelopes anew when hitting the key again. Very good for pads with slow attack times on filter and amp :) With most synths the envelopes of the key being pressed again just pick up where they were, which can ruin the entire fade-in of a chord.

WOK wrote:
I must have been forgotten :(
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
WOK wrote:
I must have been forgotten :(
If someone who purchased the plugin did not receive an update mail check your spam folder and then write me a note (contact form on homepage).
ImageImage

Return to “Instruments”