Nektar Technology release Panorama P1 and Cubase support

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

Just wanted to let all of you Cubase users know about the latest announcement from Nektar Technology.

Check out the details of the new Cubase implementation which will offer deep integration with Panorama similar to what Reason users are already experiencing. The Cubase implementation is expected in March 2013.

All the best,
Justin Sullivan
Nektar Technology
Last edited by justin3am on Wed May 15, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

I've had my eye on the nektar panorama for a while, and this latest development is promising. Maybe it's a sign of integration with more DAWs to come in future?

Sorry, I can't say. We'll be at the NAMM show, so keep an eye out for more details.

So NAMM is here, and there's some good news from Nektar - they announced the Nektar Panorama P1

I really hope there is tight integration with other DAWs in future. I think Studio One in particular would really benefit from this. Several integrated controllers already exist for most other DAWs (like Logic, Live, Cubase etc.), and though Control Link works great and is easy to set up, there are currently none (or very few) controllers that integrate with S1 out of the box.

For this reason alone, I think it would be a very popular product among S1 users if there was deep integration.

Some demos of our Cubase support and the Panorama P1 from NAMM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMTIoD89TB0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeE4AAW3bnY
This one features your's truly as a nervous wreck.

Uncle E (Jrrshop) suggested that I talk a bit about support for third-party plug-ins and how I'm handling the mapping. I'll discuss that as I have time.

Ultimately, we don't use a plug-in wrapper, we take parameter names and values directly from the host's control surface protocol but we remap all parameters into menus with logical names. We also have a learn function that allows you to create your own multi page plug-in maps that get recalled whenever you call up their corresponding plug-in.

If you guys have any questions, I'll try to answer as I can but things are pretty crazy for us right now. ;)

I really like the look of these things. Any hint of an 88 key version?

tehlord wrote:I really like the look of these things. Any hint of an 88 key version?
No plans at the moment. Currently, I'm making sure that you can use the P1 in conjunction with keyboard controllers. This way, if you have a keyboard you like, you can use P1 for navigation and such and the keyboard will follow your track selection. It already works like this in Reason. I believe Cubase works this way by default.

justin3am wrote:
tehlord wrote:I really like the look of these things. Any hint of an 88 key version?
No plans at the moment. Currently, I'm making sure that you can use the P1 in conjunction with keyboard controllers. This way, if you have a keyboard you like, you can use P1 for navigation and such and the keyboard will follow your track selection. It already works like this in Reason. I believe Cubase works this way by default.

Ok that's fair enough, it's not a deal breaker for me.

I just noticed that the P1 doesn't have the motorised fader, which definitely is a deal breaker for me however :( I was just about to buy a Faderport as it has that channel fader recall. Why was it omitted from the P1?

I'll try and get a hands on with the P6, I really wanted an 88 note keyboard but if it solves several other criteria for me it might still be worth a look.

I just don't know why there's nothing that sits in between something like the Faderport and the MCU/MC Control? The P1 could have been it with a motorised fader!!!!! :x :hihi:

tehlord wrote:
I'll try and get a hands on with the P6, I really wanted an 88 note keyboard but if it solves several other criteria for me it might still be worth a look.
:D

Had my eye on the P4 and the desktop controller for a bit now Geoff. We were talking about getting 1 of each here last night. These look fabulous and as they're geared up for Cubase they're no brainer IMO.

Full support will buy as soon as available.. brilliant concept!

Rob

rob_lee wrote:
tehlord wrote:
:D

Had my eye on the P4 and the desktop controller for a bit now Geoff. We were talking about getting 1 of each here last night. These look fabulous and as they're geared up for Cubase they're no brainer IMO.

Full support will buy as soon as available.. brilliant concept!

Rob
Yeah I agree.

I want to get my hands on one first though. It looks a little plasticky in the videos and I need to put my mind at rest before parting with the cash.

It's not that I don't trust Justin or anything...... :hihi:

Hmmm... this does look pretty good! Hopefully I can test it out in a music shop near me!

timbesamusca wrote:Hmmm... this does look pretty good! Hopefully I can test it out in a music shop near me!

Do it soon and be my guinea pig Big T :hihi:

tehlord wrote:
timbesamusca wrote:Hmmm... this does look pretty good! Hopefully I can test it out in a music shop near me!

Do it soon and be my guinea pig Big T :hihi:
I might even just buy it without trying it myself if I can find some nice video reviews when Cubase support is released! I will let you know when/if I buy one!

Justin, is it also possible to map the encoders above the faders to other functions if you don't want them to control the panning?

I'll almost certainly get one too, it just seems ideal for me and the price is right.

Still, why no motorised fader on the P1?!

i don't use cubase...but the p1 with motorized faders would have definitely been a very good controller in any situation.
but my guess is it would have cost a lot more than 199$ if it had.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”