DSI Prophet 12

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or not. HD MIDI has been discussed since 2006. No moves since then. I don't think it's gonna take off just yet.
V0RT3X wrote:*Alesis* I hope your thinking about bringing back the A6 now..
Not gonna happen. Most of people who worked on A6 were laid off, IIRC.

EvilDragon wrote:Or not. HD MIDI has been discussed since 2006. No moves since then. I don't think it's gonna take off just yet.
To quote John Cleese: "It's not dead, it's just restin'"
NAMM News wrote: At the 2013 NAMM Show, being held Jan 24-27 in Anaheim, California, the MIDI Manufacturers Association plans to meet and review a proposed High Definition MIDI Protocol:

Members of the HD Protocol Working Group will provide a private demonstration of prototype hardware and software using a working draft of the HD Protocol Specification.

Various devices will be connected via wired and wireless Ethernet, to demonstrate the plug-and-play connection and session management capabilities built into the HD Protocol, as well as features such as higher resolution controls, more throughput, and MIDI device compatibility.

The purpose of the demonstration is to encourage more companies to participate in completing the HD Protocol Specification.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

They are demoing prototype devices that use MIDI HD. At the rate they are progressing, we will be able to buy flying cars before we can buy synths with MIDI HD. :cry:

12 Voices but... only two part multi-timbral ?

Would have thought at least 4 parts multi-timbral :roll:

I think 2 is perfectly fine when you consider it's 4 osc/voice.

EvilDragon wrote:I think 2 is perfectly fine when you consider it's 4 osc/voice.
Yes, a bit of a compromise is fine, given 4-OSC per voice.

I already have the P-12, and the Little Korg MS-20 on my To-Buy list for 2013 :)

Muziksculp wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:I think 2 is perfectly fine when you consider it's 4 osc/voice.
Yes, a bit of a compromise is fine, given 4-OSC per voice.

I already have the P-12, and the Little Korg MS-20 on my To-Buy list for 2013 :)
I've been working on a 5U modular over the last few months. I've pre-ordered the sub phatty. I'm seriously considering this right behind the phatty. In fact I would say 92% certain I'll get the P12 this summer (availability dependent of course)

The fact that I can then get a 20 for next to nothing and a SEM (although a bit pricey) is amazing to me. What a great time for keyboards.

But, I'm surprised at the tepid response to this guy. This is basically the analogue path version of a workstation. 12 voices, 4 OSC per voice + 4 LFOs per voice, 4 delays etc...? That's insane.

There's also 4 envelopes per voice and a sub oscillator per voice - so 5 osc/voice. 60 osc unison! O_O

EvilDragon wrote:There's also 4 envelopes per voice and a sub oscillator per voice - so 5 osc/voice. 60 osc unison! O_O
exactly, this is a hybrid wet dream. I'm not exactly sure what people want when this is considered a yawn.

EvilDragon wrote: so 5 osc/voice. 60 osc unison! O_O
right, one of my first comments on GS was the concrete drilling potential the unison mode would have. If/When I get my hands on one, that will be my first patch 8)

Heck, I'm definitely excited about the P12!!! It's the kind of synth people used to dream about! My reality is that it's a little out of my reach atm. So maybe next year. Hopefully, this will be around for a little while!
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Sequent wrote:Heck, I'm definitely excited about the P12!!! It's the kind of synth people used to dream about! My reality is that it's a little out of my reach atm. So maybe next year. Hopefully, this will be around for a little while!
Talking with my Sweetwater rep ... Most likely won't be available until June at the earliest, regardless of the April/May DS was saying ... VERY long wait list ... They will most likely be difficult to get for awhile. Best start bribing your reps now if you actually want one.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Sequent wrote:Heck, I'm definitely excited about the P12!!! It's the kind of synth people used to dream about! My reality is that it's a little out of my reach atm. So maybe next year. Hopefully, this will be around for a little while!
Talking with my Sweetwater rep ... Most likely won't be available until June at the earliest, regardless of the April/May DS was saying ... VERY long wait list ... They will most likely be difficult to get for awhile. Best start bribing your reps now if you actually want one.
Well, I said maybe next year... as in 2014. So, I'm not going to worry about it for now. :)
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

The poster of the vid almost makes it sound like the P12 does PPG-style wavetable scanning. I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into what's being said - maybe it's just the "wave sequencing" type thing the Evolvers do.

So we now have a synth with four digital oscillators, presumably with all the Prophet VS waveforms on board like the Evolvers. Isn't that almost begging for a joystick and a vector envelope for oscillator mix, complete with some classic Prophet VS patch recreations in the presets? Granted, I think Dave has said before that he's not interested in revisiting the past, but it does almost feel like a missed opportunity to roll out something which is not only a new instrument in its own right but could also be a viable (and more powerful) replacement for a classic. Could've called it the Prophet V12, LOL.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

It doesn't have Prophet VS waveforms inside (as reported by Chris from DSI on Gearslutz).

Wavetables in Prophet 12 only crossfade between 3 waveforms.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”