What if I actually like your patch named "cheesy lead"??? Guess I'm cheesy

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm going through patches, trying out a synth that's new to me, and I see one called "cheesy lead." But it sounds !@%#!@#% great!

Might as well name it "THIS PATCH IS JUST FOR GAGS" or something. Followed by the next patches, named "This one will make your music appeal to 50-year-olds" and "You have no taste". Heaven forbid we should actually think "there's a classic sound with a great timbre" and make use of it somehow.

Anyway, I'm off to complete my first patch bank, entitled "Sounds pretty idiotic really, times were different then".
Last edited by maruchan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

maruchan wrote:Might as well name it "THIS PATCH IS JUST FOR GAGS" or something. Followed by the next patches, named "This one will make your music appeal to 50-year-olds" and "You have no taste". Heaven forbid we should actually think "there's a classic sound with a great timbre" and make use of it somehow.

Anyway, I'm off to complete my first patch bank, entitled "Sounds pretty idiotic really, times were different then".
:?:
[Insert Signature Here]

Zeta?

:lol: so.much.win.
..what goes around comes around..

Yep....everybody should name their patches Lead 001,Lead 002,Lead 003 and Bass 001, Bass 002 and so on....much better.......(sarcasm)....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Actually A.N.A. does it pretty well...they just come out and say "Hoover", "TB-303", etc. and only a few patches called "10 Years Ago" :)

I love cheesy sounds. However, my family gets tired of space age bachelor pad lounge. I spared them this Christmas.
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

maruchan wrote:Actually A.N.A. does it pretty well...they just come out and say "Hoover", "TB-303", etc. and only a few patches called "10 Years Ago" :)
That's fine when you've only got a couple dozen patches but when it gets up to 10,000 like Synth 1 you start to run out of descriptive names.....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I do like it though when sound designers do it similar to this in their banks "LD blblabla" "BS yaddayadda" "PAD hoitytoity", "FX whatnot", you get the idea, so you see at a glance which sound is in which category.

Hmmm... Me likes cheese....

We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

For goodness sakes, don't download u-he's Triple Cheese...you won't like that one at all! So many cheesy names...

:D

"Cheesy" is actually a descriptive musical term that a lot of experienced musicians will instantly recognize. It's hard to characterize, but it usually means a bit thin, vibrato-ey, possibly old fashioned or a bit out-moded.

Vox and Farfisa electronic combo organs are famous for their "cheesy" sound. But that doesn't mean they can't do THIS...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xr22b_ ... t-up_music

You will also run across a lot of fake organ patches called some variation of Hammond Cheese. (Get it?) I think the DX-7 came with one built in.

Return to “Instruments”