What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Microtuning in Kubik

Official support for: concretefx.com

Moderators: topaz, Concretefx

sdv
KVRian

544 posts since 15 Sep, 2003

Postby sdv; Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:23 pm Microtuning in Kubik

Any chance of this happening; importing .tun / .scl files??

I really prefer using microtuning on synths which have 'preview bars'; z3ta and absynth have this capability (as well as metasynth where the whole pallete is a preview bar).

What I like to do is record the sound of playing the preview bar as it aloows for more of the subtle nature of the scale.
KVRAF

3493 posts since 6 Feb, 2003, from UK

Postby Concretefx; Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:43 am

Hi there

I'm not sure , maybe . Does any one now and good documentations at the .tun system ?

Cheers

Jon
R.I.P.

5472 posts since 7 Sep, 2003, from Santa Clara, CA, USA

Postby tconrardy; Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:31 pm

well..I think it comes from the SCALA software system

http://www.xs4all.nl/~huygensf/scala/

Maybe the docs there will help

But, Microtonaility for Kubik would be VERY Cool!
sdv
KVRian

Postby sdv; Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:59 pm

Concretefx wrote:Hi there

I'm not sure , maybe . Does any one know any good documentations at the .tun system ?

Jon

Well, Paul of zynaddsubfx here at KVR has open-sourced his VST and it includes microtuning via Scala so perhaps there is some library/code from this project which is useful;
http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/

Maybe post a question to the Zynaddsubfx forum as well??

Oh, I also just thought about TobyBear's microtonal support VSTi, I should give that a try as well.

There has to be a library of how to do this as there are so many synths these days with this feature. Might be a good idea to learn about this Jon and try it out on your old time users before putting it in any new RPFX synths. ;)

In my mind I like to think this would take the Kubik sound even further "out there" (like it does in Metasynth, oh man... you have no idea), but I wonder if the tuning makes that much of a difference in wave-morphing synths??
KVRist

77 posts since 30 Oct, 2002, from Vancouver, B.C.

Postby 833-45; Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:17 am

Just wanted to add my voice for this feature -- I would love to see support for Scala's microtuning files in Kubik. Currently I use Tobybear's midi-plug, but native support would be great.
--------- ------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - - -
k.m.krebs \ 833-45 : 833-45.net
--------- ------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - - -
KVRist

322 posts since 18 Mar, 2006

Postby tamahome; Wed May 10, 2006 9:09 pm

I just happened to find this post. The .tun file format is really simple. It's a text file with midi note = cents assignments, first in integer, then in floating point. Changing the map frequency or the central midi note will affect the cents. This is what 12 equal temperament looks like, map frequency 261.6256 hz, central midi note 60 (C):

Code: Select all
[Tuning]
note 0=0
note 1=100
note 2=200
note 125=12500
note 126=12600
note 127=12700

[Exact Tuning]
note 0= 0.000000
note 1= 100.000000
note 2= 200.000000
note 125= 12500.000000
note 126= 12600.000000
note 127= 12700.000000

It doesn't seem like you can unmap any keys?
KVRist

34 posts since 26 Jul, 2004

Postby GraphMaN_USA; Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:14 pm

sdv
KVRian

Postby sdv; Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:49 pm

GraphMaN_USA wrote:http://www.tobybear.de/d_tuning.html
has a Delphi CLASS for microtuning.
http://tobybear.phreque.com/files/tuning.zip

I think development on Kubik is over with but how I'd love (in theory as I don't know how it would actually sound) for the K to go micro. There's a fella who recently put out a 1000 wavetables (created in Metasynth)library for Abynth... I'd like for him to offer those in Kubik format as well.

Such a fine synth and it's too bad more won't be done with it. :(
"Music is directly tied to the technology of a culture."
KVRAF

Postby Concretefx; Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:11 am

That sounds very interesting about absynth stuff , hmm . Tuning is something that I would like (it is something that we would like to add into Blue for instance) , so I'll see what happens

Cheers

JOn
sdv
KVRian

Postby sdv; Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:28 am

Concretefx wrote:That sounds very interesting about absynth stuff , hmm .

Here's the link to the Absynth wavetables:
http://www.galbanum.com/products/architecture-ni/
"Music is directly tied to the technology of a culture."
KVRist

163 posts since 24 Sep, 2007

Postby terriandralph; Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:55 am

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering since Blade has microtuning if now Kubik might have a better chance of being microtunable.
KVRAF

Postby Concretefx; Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:23 am

Possibly , I do have micro-tuning code now, but to be honest I'm snowed under with Rob's stuff, so I'm not sure when I would be able to get around to changing anything in Kubik.

Cheers

Jon
KVRist

163 posts since 24 Sep, 2007

Postby terriandralph; Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:13 am

Wow thanks Jon for the super quick response :D

I am always on the lookout for microtunable instruments, and I found out that the Waldorf Microwave was microtunable. However, it has been a long time since I have used hardware, and I'm still debating if I really want to go back down that road again (although I really do love the sound of the Microwave.) At any rate, I did some looking on KVR and Kubik came up quite frequently as a vst option for the Microwave. So I decided to download the demo and check things out for myself. The thing is that I've really gotten to like the sound of Kubik for what it is (aside from its comparison to the Microwave.) Also, I am coming up with sounds I have not been able to create with other vsts (although in truth this might be due to how easy it is for me to tweak the presets in Kubik to my liking as opposed to other vsts.) Many thanks for designing a quality instrument.

I am really hoping you can find the time to do the microtuning for Kubik. Otherwise, I'll probably do the next best thing and purchase Kubik so I can sample the sounds and run it through Kontakt or something like that.

Again, thanks for your prompt response.

Moderators: topaz, Concretefx

Return to ConcreteFX