What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  
KVRist

136 posts since 2 Mar, 2009, from Oxford, England

Postby linuxdsp; Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:34 am

Yes, that can be added in a future update. I'm reluctant to do any non-essential updates so soon after the initial release. For every small change there is a lot of re-testing and extra work involved around making a new release (and I'm still hoping there will be enough interest in this product first in order to justify that).
KVRist

56 posts since 28 Apr, 2011, from NY State, USA

Postby Ricardus; Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Cool. I noticed this one remembers its last state. Is that true of all of your JACK apps?
KVRist

Postby linuxdsp; Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 pm

All the JACK versions 'should' save their state (they also have basic support for JACK session, although there seem to be multiple session management mechanisms in competition at the moment and no stable API which is unfortunate)

If you run multiple instances, you will notice they get called e.g. FC70, FC70-01, FC70-02 etc and the state will be saved relative to the instance number, so everything should come back just how you had it even if you are running several instances (I wanted them to work just like real outboard hardware - where the controls will be in the same positions you left them, the last time you used them...)

There is a known bug which affected state saving in some earlier versions, dependent on system configuration and JACK version / fork (IIRC it happens with JACK2 but not JACK1) but this has been fixed in current and new releases e.g. the FC70.
KVRist

Postby Ricardus; Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Yup. Cool.

Any rough idea when the mono version will be available?
KVRist

Postby linuxdsp; Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:56 am

All I can say at the present time is that when we do release the mono version it will be free to users of the stereo version, so, in the meantime there's no reason for people not to try the stereo limiter plugin.
KVRist

Postby Ricardus; Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Just FYI, the web site for the FC70 says "The download contains mono and stereo versions in JACK, LV2 and linuxVST (32 and 64Bit) format."

The mono ones aren't out yet, so maybe you should fix that.
KVRer

11 posts since 11 Jan, 2005

Postby Smurf43; Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:39 pm

You know, I can not wait for you folks to tackle an 1176. :love:

This demo sounds great, and "feels" as good as the Bomb Factory & Nomad plugs I have used.

And now with Ardour 3 out, Mixbus to "soon" update, and AV Linux close to releasing 6.01, it is looking to be a most excellent time in the studio in the near future! :!: :wink: :D 8)
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits - Albert Einstein.
KVRist

Postby Ricardus; Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:36 am

Yeah. I'd love an 1176 myself!
KVRist

Postby Ricardus; Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:19 am

I have been mixing a poorly recorded rock opera for a client for the past 8 days, and his drums really needed some life. I squeezed the CRAP out of them with this, and they sound SO much better.

AWESOME plugin.

Can't wait for the mono version. I have been assigning the stereo version to mono tracks because I can in A3, but the mono version would save cycles (considering how many instances I am running).
KVRer

1 post since 2 Apr, 2013, from Cambridgeshire, UK

Postby anahata; Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:55 am

Just started using using it on a regular basis.
I'm confused about the action of the "linked" switch position. Settings of gain and threshold still seem to apply separately to each channel. For a predictable response on my master stereo bus, should I keep the L and R controls (especially threshold) manually in step?

I've even tried downloading the original 670 manual to find an answer, but of course it's not documented because the "linked" position is a retrofit, not part of Fairchild's original.

Also is there a resource anywhere on the web that hints on when, why and how to use the different timing settings, especially the "automatic release" positions 5 and 6? These seem to be a universally useful way to set high levels of compression with maximum transparency. I'd imagine pos 6 is a good "set and forget" position for a broadcast limiter, for example.
Signature blocked until 5 posts made
KVRist

Postby linuxdsp; Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:20 pm

@anahata: The 'linked' position links the side-chain control signals together - ensuring that the gain reduction is the same for both sides (so in linked mode the VU meters should always read the same as each other, whereas you may notice a difference for the L / R or Lat / Vert depending upon settings / audio content).
You get something like a 'loudest wins' configuration where the larger of the two gain reductions (if they were separate channels) is applied to both channels simultaneously.
Changing the Input Gains will affect the left / right balance - even in linked mode, as will the thresholds etc. You should try to keep the control settings identical between the two channels in linked mode.

(On some emulations, the GUI controls can be linked too, so they always track, but the feeling with this was that the way the controls behave on the original, as much as the 'sound' lead to new ways of approaching familiar tasks, which is as much a part of the real hardware as the sound. So it was decided not to implement this)

@Ricardus: Glad you like it - a mono version will be released.. eventually (there's more to it than just tweaking the DSP - imagine trying to create a mono version of the real thing by physically sawing the stereo one in half - it wouldn't likely be a success, and in the same way, the software has to be re-engineered a little too, and the GUI etc)
KVRist

Postby linuxdsp; Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:28 pm

@anahata: Regarding the time constants, it's really a case of experimenting - see what works best, but as a basic guide, the first two settings are fast attack and release, good for kick drum, percussion etc. Three and Four are progressively longer release times, good for smoothing out vocals etc (though you may find the faster settings preferable if the sound 'pumps' due to the longer release time) and the last two settings are program dependent release, so there is a two stage release, in simple terms, a reasonably fast release back to the 'average' level and then a much slower release from the average. Various rumours abound as to how the time constants on the original were derived (and the accuracy of the quoted times) - it seems they were (at least in part) discovered by experimenting with different program material.. so there aren't any defined 'rules' as to what to use when.
KVRian

707 posts since 2 Jan, 2012, from Alberta, Canada

Postby Brother Charles; Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:30 pm

This pluggie rocks! I'm really looking forward to reviewing the Windows copy of it that I have. EXCELLENT value vs. price ratio. This one is right up in the same upper shelf as its EQ cousin, OverTone PTC-2A.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook
KVRist

Postby Ricardus; Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:13 pm

I am excited to use the FC70 after the MBC2B in a mastering, this week.

I would normally use your multiband comp first, and then use Fons's DPL1 limiter to knock a few extra dB off. I am interested to see the FC70 in action as the final limiter. Should be cool.
KVRer

1 post since 3 Apr, 2014

Postby jj77; Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:03 pm Re: linuxDSP FC70 Fairchild 670 Limiter plugin now available

Hi, just wanted to ask if there was still a mono version of this planned?
PreviousNext

Moderator: linuxdsp

Return to linuxDSP