a simple to use step MIDI-Recorder/-Player/-Sequencer - available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

edit: more news at the end of this thread

I am currently experimenting with a simple step-by-step MIDI recorder VST (like in old snths/drum machines): click REC button, hit the notes one by one on your keyboard (click PAUSE button for an empty step), switch REC off, and then pressing a key on the keyboard will play back this sequence (transposed) with the selected speed (host synced).
Sequence is stored as a VST preset, so 128 sequences would be available via program change (sequence length would be limited - maybe 64 steps).

Is this interesting for someone?

Last edited by WOK on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage

sounds like it could be interesting from a performance pov :)

There are currently NO working stand alone VST step sequencer that is easy to use, so you probably would find a nice spot in the market for such a product.

WOK wrote:I am currently experimenting with a simple step-by-step MIDI recorder VST (like in old snths/drum machines): click REC button, hit the notes one by one on your keyboard (click PAUSE button for an empty step), switch REC off, and then pressing a key on the keyboard will play back this sequence (transposed) with the selected speed (host synced).
Sequence is stored as a VST preset, so 128 sequences would be available via program change (sequence length would be limited - maybe 64 steps).

Is this interesting for someone?

The only softsynths with that feature which i know are Xils Lab Synthix and PolyKB II. Would be cool to have this as a FX plugin for use with any synth so a big YES from me. :)

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Will it have a panel where we could mute/unmute on the fly any step, or do we have to change sequences to do that?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Will it have a panel where we could mute/unmute on the fly any step, or do we have to change sequences to do that?
In the sequencer of e.g. Synthix you have to click on the "next" button in the GUI to skip a step.

Here are screenshots of the Synthix and PolyKB II sequencers:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53230726/Synth ... er%201.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53230726/PolyK ... er%201.png

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Looks good, put me down for 1 :)

fmr wrote:Will it have a panel where we could mute/unmute on the fly any step, or do we have to change sequences to do that?
Muting steps AFTER recording would be possible, but then there would have to be 64 buttons on the GUI (or a lower limit for the max. length).
While recording there would be a "NULL" button for empty steps.
ImageImage

WOK wrote:
Muting steps AFTER recording would be possible, but then there would have to be 64 buttons on the GUI (or a lower limit for the max. length).
While recording there would be a "NULL" button for empty steps.
It would be cool if there would be a MIDI Learn for that button so you could enter empty steps from your MIDI controller.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Sounds like a big winner to me. :)

Doc Brown wrote:Sounds like a big winner to me. :)
How much you are willing to pay?  :D
ImageImage

I was waiting for Numerology for PC, but I love step sequencers, so take my money. Don't know how much... I would like 64 step sequencer that can do (basics of) what hardware is supposed to do, because I am unhappy with options out there. As you said, press record, press keys, play it back...

schnapsglas wrote:I was waiting for Numerology for PC, but I love step sequencers, so take my money. Don't know how much... I would like 64 step sequencer that can do (basics of) what hardware is supposed to do, because I am unhappy with options out there. As you said, press record, press keys, play it back...
I was thinking about something simple as this:
http://youtu.be/RQVUSEtAEsk?t=28s
Step record, host synced playback at adjustable speed with transpose function. Maybe 4 selectable sequences per VST preset, swing, all functions controllable with MIDI CC. No fancy note graphics etc.
ImageImage

WOK wrote:
schnapsglas wrote:I was waiting for Numerology for PC, but I love step sequencers, so take my money. Don't know how much... I would like 64 step sequencer that can do (basics of) what hardware is supposed to do, because I am unhappy with options out there. As you said, press record, press keys, play it back...
I was thinking about something simple as this:
http://youtu.be/RQVUSEtAEsk?t=28s
Step record, host synced playback at adjustable speed with transpose function. Maybe 4 selectable sequences per VST preset, swing, all functions controllable with MIDI CC. No fancy note graphics etc.
If it shows 64 notes all at once, I'm in. I don't want to use Geist for such things... that's why. Any step sequencer is welcome for me, as long as it has some visual feedback and is a STEP sequencer, not a sequencer.

WOK wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Sounds like a big winner to me. :)
How much you are willing to pay?  :D
Potentially thousands depending on currency... :P

Return to “Instruments”