Scarbee did it again! Scarbee Rickenbacker bass for Kontakt!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thomas Hansen Skarbye
Singer, Bass Player & Creative Director, SCARBEE
Websites: www.scarbee.com
MySpace: www.myspace.com/scarbee

Amazing demos! Love your stuff, Thomas. I still remember the first time I loaded up your Black Bass, and knew immediately that it was a real step forward, in terms of playability, scripting, as well as the fantastic tone. It was one of the first instruments that kind of fulfilled the expectations I always had about how it should feel to play a virtual instrument.

Anyway, looks like you did another fantastic job. Keep up the great work, and much success!
Sam

this sounds very cool

Have you considered recording a fingered version of this sample library?

Seeing as Andrea Pettinao (Pettinhouse) complimented on the release of Thomas Scarbye (Scarbee/NI), I think this is an excellent compliment from sound designer to sound designer.

Then again I'm curious.

I know you can't compare a Rickenbacker 4-string with a Yamaha TRB 5-String. But both of these samplesets offer picked playablity (Pettinhouse with a specific preset, the NI release is picked to begin with - else take a look at the other basses).

What does Thomas Scarbye actually think of Andrea Pettinao's bass.

Granted, not as detailed samples, no chord recognition and no flashy GUI. But the major turnoff to me is the shifted playability of the NI creation, while the Pettinhouse creation is instantly there (no pre-delay or something like that needed). Though the Pettinhouse lacks a certain root sound (due to the missing re-amplification), while the NI version comes with tons of GR5 presets, if not built in modules in Kontakt 5.

I currently own a license of DirectBass 2.0 and not yet the NI one. Though it's tempting, then again the pre-delay is a turnoff. And, as audio engineer I do ask myself "do I really need another bass, of one sampleset is just as easy to play and sounds just as good - but I'm just too lazy to put enough time into sound design of the bass itself" (other than a SansAmp BassDI or a totally overdriven SHB-1 by Ignite Amps ran through Line6's GearBox (cabinet).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I just bought this and am downloading now. I'm pretty excited. I was alarmed though when the installer I downloaded told me it was installing a driver. Anybody know what this is about?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:I just bought this and am downloading now. I'm pretty excited. I was alarmed though when the installer I downloaded told me it was installing a driver. Anybody know what this is about?
It seems it was some sort of dvd drive emulator to run the installer through. Seems unnecessary but whatever.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Hi

First of all im known for not listening or studying competitors as I need a clean mind. But from what I know both Pettinhouse and Orangetree makes great work.

About pre-delay - well a picked bass needs this unless you want no scrape and less realistic sound. Thats just reality.
A real player calculates automatically to move hand so the PEAK hits the beat - but still the scrape is ahead.

So dont despair my friend
:)
Thomas Hansen Skarbye

Mr.Scarbee wrote:Hi

First of all im known for not listening or studying competitors as I need a clean mind. But from what I know both Pettinhouse and Orangetree makes great work.

About pre-delay - well a picked bass needs this unless you want no scrape and less realistic sound. Thats just reality.
A real player calculates automatically to move hand so the PEAK hits the beat - but still the scrape is ahead.

So dont despair my friend
:)
Hello again Mr Skarbye,

I am considering buying the Rickenbacker bass, but would you elaborate on this "pre-delay?" Do you mean to say that, for example, if one is to draw midi notes, the notes must be placed a little bit before the desired point so that the bass plays on time?

Hi

No - make midi as normal. But then set a negative pre-delay on TRACK.
Be sure you see value in milli seconds (ms) and not samples. I presume most sequencers have option both to set value to ms AND to set a negative value. Try value -33. This will tell sequencer to start this track 33 ms before the other tracks.

Now please realize that we are not ADDING stuff - its the other producers that REMOVE stuff.
You have option in our Rickenbacker bass to remove part of the scrape - but it will affect the life before and between the notes.
Its up to you whether this matters or not.

Cheers

Thomas
Thomas Hansen Skarbye

Thanks for the response. I'll look for a way to set pre-delay in Cubase then. Will it always be 33 milliseconds, or does it depend on the tempo?

How does the Bass perform during fast passages then? The Native Instruments demos dont showcase many.

On cubase 5, track delay is in ticks. I don't think you can change it.

I have Cubase 6, and the indicator on the left says "pre-delay in milliseconds" when I hover the mouse over it.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to use the Scarbee Rickenbacker to render the following work-in-progress MIDI bassline:

http://db.tt/qeiVwKnN

Hello again. I would like to say that I've purchased the Scarbee Rickenbacker library and I LOVE it. It's far more versatile and realistic than any of the other basses, and it will be my main bass sample library.
Thank you for putting so much effort into making the product as good as it is now. My only MINOR complaint is that the presets from the Normal patch don't appear in the Palm Mute patch, so it'll be a bit more difficult to switch between the patches if I'm using the built in amplifiers and cabinets. Although I'm very fond of the included presets, I normally use Guitar Rig, so I don't have to worry too much.

On another note, I also use the Scarbee Funk Guitarist in many of my tunes, but I really do wish there were an expansion or major update to it. I think that many chords are missing...power chords...some lower note combinations. Also, it would be nice if there were single notes rather than loops.

Also, is it at all possible to program the library so that it plays chords not based on an assigned key switch, but on which three notes are placed in a DAW's key editor? I usually spend most of my time trying to synchronize the loops I create in Kontakt, but oftentimes I drew the notes (in the library) too early or too late. Having notes in a key editor activate chords would be a more intuitive option for me.

Of course, most of the features I've proposed above are more worthy of a Scarbee Funk Guitarist II, but I hope that, perhaps, you'd consider such a library. I would definitely purchase it.

My first Scarbee instrument was the Pre-Bass before the cooperation with NI. I used mostly Trilogy before which i liked but really i was looking for ONE bass that really sounded like a bass, nor for a selection of a thousand sounds that sort of sounds like a bass.
I was just blown away by the realism that is possible. Subsequently of course i got the MM bass (a must for me since i love Chic and the style of Bernard Edwards) and the Jay bass, and now the Rickenbacker as a picked alternative.

So i ended up with 4 distinct basses but they are very unique and remind me more to bass players in bands who switch to different instruments depending on what a song requires.

I should say that my praise also applies to the classic keys collection and funk guitarist.

Generally i wonder what the result would be is Scarbee puts his mind to creating a guitar library. I assume that you are first and foremost a bass player and that might have an impact on the quality of the sampled instruments. But still i wonder.

In any case i hope you will have fund and maybe we will be fortunate enough to see more sampled instruments coming out of your shop!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”