Roland 808 Hardware Clones?(Resolved)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I cannot afford, nor want a real TR-808(maintenance etc) but I want a hardware equivalent soundwise. Cheaper is better but not the most important factor...

Narrowed down the options to

Novation Drum Station, Drum Station V2 or D Station.(Secondhand market)

AcidLab Miami

Tempest??!! - I've heard an awesome 808 sound coming from this - but is that 808 kit tweakable like the real deal or static presets, I've only just learnt Tempest is a hybrid, Analog Drum Synth and Sample player.

Quasimidi 309 - one for sale in Marketplace on KVR, good option?

Arturia Spark/Le Hardware - now dismissing this now as the 808 isn't that close on this unit/software. Great product otherwise...

Anything else I've missed?

Please no software only equivalents(D16 etc, got them)! :wink: Also if the machine does full 808 and goes above and beyond that(i.e. 909/Linn Drum or actual synthesize from scratch etc), then that is a real bonus!
Last edited by breakmixer on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

that looks more like a 303 clone? :?

breakmixer wrote:
that looks more like a 303 clone? :?
I got all excited thinking that the 808 was being done xoxbox sylee - that would be getting bought!
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm

Here is the interface.
I know you said no soft,
but I thought I'd mention this-
I'd love one

D'oh!
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Quasimidi 309....shameless post for one I have for sale in the market place.

Includes 808 sounds amongst others.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

nix808 wrote:http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm

Here is the interface.
I know you said no soft,
but I thought I'd mention this-
I'd love one
That's fine, but not what I'm after myself after checking it out, I do all sequencing within my daw!

I was hoping it was a dedicated controller for Nepheton actually! That would be interesting!

Goseba wrote:Quasimidi 309....shameless post for one I have for sale in the market place.

I know an artist who uses one for Electro Funk music, it sounds 808ish but modern on his tunes, I'd wrote this off as I thought it couldn't nail 808, just get in a similar ball park,

Can it nail 808, including Rim, Clap and COWBELL!? :wink:

So I was showing interest in this a little...

breakmixer wrote:
Goseba wrote:Quasimidi 309....shameless post for one I have for sale in the market place.

I know an artist who uses one for Electro Funk music, it sounds 808ish but modern on his tunes, I'd wrote this off as I thought it couldn't nail 808, just get in a similar ball park,

Those 808 samples are included.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

this video is what made me put it on the list - It's a nice drum machine - doesn't perfectly nail the sound but good enough really as a great alternative.

Goseba wrote:
breakmixer wrote:

Those 808 samples are included.
Oh, so it has an 808 mode where samples are used also for them sounds?

How close are kick and snare?

breakmixer wrote:Novation Drum Station, Drum Station V2 or D Station.(Secondhand market)

AcidLab Miami

Tempest??!! - I've heard an awesome 808 sound coming from this - but is that 808 kit tweakable like the real deal or static presets, I've only just learnt Tempest is a hybrid, Analog Drum Synth and Sample player.

Arturia Spark Hardware
Of this list, I'd say the Tempest or Spark. I'd go Spark, myself.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”