Link: Venom VB-303 VSTi (Beta release)

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antto wrote:well i don't know whether it should be called beta or not, since it's not payware
to keep it simple, it'll be v1.0
and the following release would be v1.01 or something like that

Thank you bro!!!! just still waiting 4 the best 303 vsti.

is it going to have 64bit version when released?

no, since it's built using the old version of SynthEdit
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

On a random note - no pun intended: Any future projects in the pipeline? Especially those not involving modelling something?

P.S. Ain't got anything against moddeling - to be exact - your dedication to Venom and especially the sequencer is highly admirable - to say the least! But I'm intrigued to see something you made - while left to your owm de(vice)s.

Regards
Andrew

antto wrote:no, since it's built using the old version of SynthEdit
thats a pity :/

Ichad.c wrote:On a random note - no pun intended: Any future projects in the pipeline? Especially those not involving modelling something?

P.S. Ain't got anything against moddeling - to be exact - your dedication to Venom and especially the sequencer is highly admirable - to say the least! But I'm intrigued to see something you made - while left to your owm de(vice)s.

Regards
Andrew
sort of yes
my next project (which is almost built) is a polysynth inspired by the hardware-digital synths like JP-8000 and D-50
not a strict clone
it's also an answer to the question "can you make a whole synth in one SE module" - YES, i did it ;]

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

that looks nice too.
btw: there is a bit of an issue running the beta2 in
multiple instances already. would it not be an idea to
put your vb303 into SE 1.1 for the draft, even if you
build it in (?) 1.017? there'll be a bit of fiddling
around if you use a lot of GUIList, but i think that
gets converted to the new module too.

trouble with multiple instances? in which host?
not that i can do anything
but the current version has no such issues, methinks

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto wrote:no, since it's built using the old version of SynthEdit
Are you considering moving to the 64 bit version once it's released?

i don't think that's very easy to do
i haven't looked at the new sdk, but afaik there are some quite big changes since sdk2
while the audio processing of Venom is essentially simple (osc->filter->vca->dist and envelopes) there are a bit more funky things going on in the sequencer and GUI side

however, i *might* try once again to start coding proper VSTs, either via my own code, or something else - IPlug maybe
which doesn't mean it's gonna be easy to re-create Venom

these things don't happen in a matter of minutes, so i don't want to try to guess the future
i'm very interested in making music, synthesis, the code that stands behind synthesis, but other aspects of coding are not my thing (like using 3rd party libs, OS-related stuff..)

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto wrote: it's also an answer to the question "can you make a whole synth in one SE module" - YES, i did it ;]

:clap:

antto wrote: sort of yes
my next project (which is almost built) is a polysynth inspired by the hardware-digital synths like JP-8000 and D-50
Looks alot like the JP-8000 - will you add some of the "linear" synthesis of the d-50?

OSCA and OSCB are very similar to those on a JP-8000
OSCC is "PCM" and the envelopes are multisegment, that's similar-ish to the D-50
the synth runs on a hardcoded sampling rate, and is resampled to the Host rate in realtime, thus some waveforms have have aliasing and other lofi-ness
i found very nice recordings from a JP-8000, so i managed to aproximate a number of it's oscillator waveforms, but i couldn't find that much about the D-50, so don't expect any kind of emulation here ;]

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto wrote: OSCA and OSCB are very similar to those on a JP-8000
OSCC is "PCM" and the envelopes are multisegment, that's similar-ish to the D-50
the synth runs on a hardcoded sampling rate, and is resampled to the Host rate in realtime, thus some waveforms have have aliasing and other lofi-ness
i found very nice recordings from a JP-8000, so i managed to aproximate a number of it's oscillator waveforms, but i couldn't find that much about the D-50, so don't expect any kind of emulation here ;]
A 1:1 emulation of a D-50 - would actually be illegal - since it's partly based on PCM. What makes the D-50 interisting IMHO is the one-shot transient samples + regular osc - and it sounds actually quite good, also with the D-50 being so old - you can get away with linear interpolation of the PCM easily or maybe even no interpolation at all - real crunch!

Good luck!

Andrew

the multiple instance thing happens sometimes with
Orion; not always though.i get a glitchy opening, and
then it is ok. with two, there can be problems. and as
i told you in the past, another synth featuring the SE
bpm clock can affect the tempo of the vb303 beta.

as for the D series synth, it would be interesting to be able
to add user wavefroms, since this is a bit locked on the LA
synths. you can definitely see a progression in Roland development
starting from them, through the JV series, and the the JPs.
ultimately the PCMs aren't the best feature, and don't go through
the filters, so being able to add any sound you wanted would be a
plus, and the actual original content would not be important and
is similar to many other modules, even to the point of resembling
GM, on the D-110/20/10. i think its point of interest is that it
was the first VA, doesn't attempt to be 'analogue' although it uses
similar parameters; you get more twisted sounds and the filter gets
distorted. does stuff you look for on more recent VA.

i hope you will implement the keyboard bias parameters ;)

mztk wrote: and don't go through the filters
That's a good thing for transient PCM samples, not so good for looped waveforms. Maybe having a routing choice would be good - since this is not an emulation :wink:

Thought of a name for it yet?

Return to “Modular Synthesis”