Critical Mass (ElectroProg - Seismic Despair)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

10 hours to record in July 2010, the Jan/February 2013 Edit/Remix/Master took a staggering 33 hours, and was beset by software and personal problems. After various setbacks, I can move on. Lots of different reverbs and delays on here.

EDIT:20200911 removed mp3 link

on SoundCloud

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/critical-mass

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.3/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7beta

polyIblit
EnergyXT Synthesizer
NI Pro-53
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Drumatic 3
CM SR-202
Lounge Lizard EP-4
EVM Ultrasonique
Synth1
Valhalla Shimmer
IK CSR
EnergyXT Delay
Reflex FREE
FerricTDS
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 10

EDIT:20200411

Remixed in 2020 - mainly EQ tweaks with some minor levelling changed, I found an unsettlingly loud single kick and fixed that. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Pro-53 could be made to work on my latest machine. I added Satin to the master bus, and mastered in T-Racks 5.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/crit ... ks5-master

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.3/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7/Mastered in T-Racks 5

PolyIblit
EnergyXT Synthesizer
NI Pro-53
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Drumatic 3
Drumatic 4
CM SR-202
Lounge Lizard EP-4
EVM Ultrasonique
Synth1
Valhalla Shimmer
IK CSR
EnergyXT Delay
Reflex FREE
Satin
T-Racks VC-670
T-Racks Equal
T-Racks Quad Comp
T-Racks SaturatorX
T-Racks Stealth Limiter

DR - 9
Last edited by seismic1 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

fwiw, the effort payed off. This is brilliant stuff, man.
The rhythmic frenzy that chugs on until the slow middle part, and then the powerful chords.
Really beautiful, seismic!

Mariosprt wrote:fwiw, the effort payed off. This is brilliant stuff, man.
The rhythmic frenzy that chugs on until the slow middle part, and then the powerful chords.
Really beautiful, seismic!
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Mario. Glad you liked it :)

The slow middle part was only added to the track 2 weeks ago. Before that, the track was entirely upbeat, but I felt it could use a sedative.

That middle section is beautiful!

(I will post my feedback tomorrow. I'm too tired at the moment. :zzz: )

WOw! Great work, Tim. The production on this is great! I've just picked up Psp's Mixpack2, I'm hoping mine will get better. Sorry to hear about the personal stuff, dude!

echo Frantz, those choirs in the middle were absolutely delicious!
also liked the squirly lead that kept things interesting. clear, crisp percussion sounds tied it all together very nicely. enjoyed the trip :clap:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

FrantzM wrote:That middle section is beautiful!

(I will post my feedback tomorrow. I'm too tired at the moment. :zzz: )
Thanks for the listen/comment, FrantzM :)

The original track had some pretty wild lead synth on it, which I felt was "too much", so I edited a lot of it out and added that slow section. I think it gave the track more "body". Talk to you later.

this sounds great Tim. i think it would be the perfect soundtrack for driving through London at night. all i need to do is learn to drive and move back to London.

neil.

abstractcats wrote:WOw! Great work, Tim. The production on this is great! I've just picked up Psp's Mixpack2, I'm hoping mine will get better. Sorry to hear about the personal stuff, dude!
Thanks for the listen and comments, Scott. Glad you liked it :)

I guess it's taken me about 18 months to become comfortable with the mixing process, and now I've just started to tinker around with mastering parameters etc.

My father recently passed away. That was a sobering and unpleasant time for the family. I think we are all getting to grips with this new reality now. Thanks for your concern.

Really like this one. Heard it before going to bed last night, and gave it another spin now. Soothing sounds and great production. Hard work surely pays off.

Sorry to hear about your father. Its great that one can channel the emotions from such experiences into creative work.

Thumbs up from me!

I enjoyed this track, very complex sounding in some parts. The melodic parts are catchy too.
:borg:

Great track!
I really like the whole idea and how it develops, slows down and builds again. 8)
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

layzer wrote:echo Frantz, those choirs in the middle were absolutely delicious!
also liked the squirly lead that kept things interesting. clear, crisp percussion sounds tied it all together very nicely. enjoyed the trip :clap:
Thanks very much for checking this out, layzer. Glad you liked it :)

Those vox were from EVM Ultrasonique. I've got another track featuring that coming up in about 4 months.

I really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing! I think it's easily my favourite track of yours, a nice gloomy vibe set to a driving beat and propelled by a way cool syncy-lead.

Hope your personal problems worked out okay, or are at least getting better.

Great job! :clap:

Very 'other world'. Spooky too... then it gets scary :scared:

P.S.
Those audio 'squiggles' are rather tasty.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Return to “Music Cafe”