Mods pls lock, if that's ok, topic fully answered, but now the trolls are here to drag it out :(

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FEB 24th.. Andy of Cytomic and I are completely cool and have sorted out any differences, but more importantly for everyone, Andy is allowing a very fair transfer system. No NFR's either from what i understand now.

It was only fair to update topic as such, and i'll be buying the glue in about 15 minutes :hyper:

Original post:

Hi everyone.. without demoing 100 plugins maybe you can all point me the right way

The story part:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

it is no longer worth me posting the story, as until they actually draw blood, certain people here will never be satisfied.
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.

have you tried TDR feedback comp??

not exactly a SSL clone but nice sound anyway...
and is free :)

mac 64?

really want the ssl sound as its perfect for the majority of my music

Theo, is there any way to consider purchasing a hardware unit? The SSL bus compressor is actually a pretty straight forward design which isn't that hard to do your own.

There are also numerous fairly cheap variants that you can get. Many of them are from China but don't let that stop you, some of them sound/behave excellently and should be reliable enough.

This way you'd get real hardware and have a good way of selling it later (cash back % depending a lot on the brand and condition you keep it in).

Another option could perhaps be to rent a unit for the cases when you feel you need it.

My personal opinion is that the SSL compressor is quite a bit overrated and is riding a massive hype wave.. but the sound is indeed on countless records so if you are after "that" sound then I guess you don't have a choice.

In the plugin domain I'd take a serious look at what Native Instruments has to offer. Their Solid Mix series is decent in my opinion. It's definitely in the ballpark in my opinion.. and NI allows transfers as far as I know. Besides, didn't you already own the NI komplete bundle? (you probably did.. at least twice at some point :hihi: ).

EDIT: I'm not sure if the Solid Bus compressor from NI is still tied into the Guitar Rig player thing. If it is.. then it's a complete PITA but might still be worth considering. Perhaps they'll make individual plugins at some point.

EDIT2: Another option is to get the SSL bus compressor from.. yeah, you guessed it, from SSL. I have a NFR license for it but haven't used it that much though. Mainly due to the PITA copy protection. Yet another dongle, same system as Reason is using. The WIBU key. You can also run it without the dongle but that means you need to be connected to the net at all times. It sounds nice though. Not sure about their resale / transfer policy though.

Cheers!
bManic
Last edited by bmanic on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Hi bManic.. i can't as majority of music is made in bed on my laptop now with monitors at the end of the bed.. if i am not on pain killers, i pretty much can't walk or move around..

I've been using the imac upstairs lately, but on 80mg of oxycodone :( that's the only way.

Don't want to take that shit that high.

Oh of course, the NI stuff. there is a SSL bus compressor right there with all the features of the glue from memory.. downloading demo now. this could be solved already!

Thanks mate!!

TheoM wrote:Hi bManic.. i can't as majority of music is made in bed on my laptop now with monitors at the end of the bed.. if i am not on pain killers, i pretty much can't walk or move around..

I've been using the imac upstairs lately, but on 80mg of oxycodone :( that's the only way.

Oh of course, the NI stuff. there is a SSL bus compressor right there with all the features of the glue from memory.. downloading demo now. this could be solved already!

Thanks mate!!
Good call. If it does it for you I'd say go with it. I think they will release it apart from Guitar Rig at some point.

I can't honestly think of any other SSL clone with the features you asked for.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

TheoM wrote:mac 64?

theres mac beta demo here,dont know if 64 but you can find yourself:
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-feedback-compressor-2/

another options are:

SSL clones- Waves, Duende,Sonox,PSP Buspressor...

similar sounding options are - Vertigo VCS2,old Kjaerhus GCO in classic mode...
Last edited by kvaca on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh yeah

PSP Buspressor

But you already have Vertigo right? It is kind of similar, limited HP and no mix function though.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I am sorry to hear about all the trouble your going through, Theo. I have had my share of health problems and I can definitely relate to your story :hug:

Have you tried PSP BussPressor?
It is an SSL emulation, it's affordable and it's also x64 (MAC & PC). Needless to say PSP has the best kind of license transfer policy. I just transferred my Easyverb licence to my friend and everything worked out fast. Best of all it was free to transfer the license. I wish all the developers were like this.

If I didn't have Glue and Vertigo already, BussPressor would be my first pick for this job.(
PSP makes VERY good stuff. BussPressor is no exception IMO. The settings work very different to the Glue, but I was able to make the sound VERY close.

Another choice is to forget the whole "SSL" thing and go for something different.
I recently got myself SKnote DBX165 and I feel it's one of the best compressor plugins for EDM drumbus. I have found that often I prefer it to any of the other plugins I own.
I don't know about Quinto's license transfer policies, but at least the product itself is VERY affordable.
When it comes to masterbus, I haven't heard anything better than Elysia Alpha from Plugin Alliance.

it depends on the music you're making
post some links to stuff you've made lately, that should make for better recommendations!

Hi i will post my new album.. it's still in production.. but thanks for the interest..

it's dance/pop

you get the drift

kvaca wrote:

another options are:

Hi, Kjaerhus win only, and an asshole for an (ex) developer

vertigo i have, and i like it, but on acoustic stuff

Waves is VERY expensive and limited.. being a mercury owner though the next time they have their specials of 40 or 50% off, i'l l; be able to get the ssl bundle for around $270. don't know if it;s worth it?

Sonnox is fabulous, but the worst transfer fees in the business, bar none. I have posted lectures on this before, it's not only the fees, they are very very greedy. I can't buy from those people.

Wil check out PSS< never demoed it in my life. Good call!

Duende sounds horrible, some agree, some don't.

filter303 wrote:I am sorry to hear about all the trouble your going through, Theo. I have had my share of health problems and I can definitely relate to your story :hug:

Have you tried PSP BussPressor?
It is an SSL emulation, it's affordable and it's also x64 (MAC & PC). Needless to say PSP has the best kind of license transfer policy. I just transferred my Easyverb licence to my friend and everything worked out fast. Best of all it was free to transfer the license. I wish all the developers were like this.

If I didn't have Glue and Vertigo already, BussPressor would be my first pick for this job.(
PSP makes VERY good stuff. BussPressor is no exception IMO. The settings work very different to the Glue, but I was able to make the sound VERY close.

Another choice is to forget the whole "SSL" thing and go for something different.
I recently got myself SKnote DBX165 and I feel it's one of the best compressor plugins for EDM drumbus. I have found that often I prefer it to any of the other plugins I own.
I don't know about Quinto's license transfer policies, but at least the product itself is VERY affordable.
When it comes to masterbus, I haven't heard anything better than Elysia Alpha from Plugin Alliance.
Thanks man that is kind of you.. mind you i don't feel happy to read of others' health problems.

I will try buspressor now for sure.. thanks for that mate.. have experience with PSP, extremely friendly company.

Will definitely check out the SKNOTE, quinto and his policies rock! if i don't like it i can return it for full refund, and sellable with zero fees.

He is AWESOME and AWESOME prices.

Elysia alpha i have, and use it or the slate fg-x compressor section if i master for a final touch before limiter.. absolutely agreed.

It's obvious we have similar taste then, so the psp sounds like a good option.. checking now :)

Aiynzahev wrote:
TheoM wrote:Hi bManic.. i can't as majority of music is made in bed on my laptop now with monitors at the end of the bed.. if i am not on pain killers, i pretty much can't walk or move around..

Thanks mate!!
Good call. If it does it for you I'd say go with it. I think they will release it apart from Guitar Rig at some point.

I can't honestly think of any other SSL clone with the features you asked for.
Sami the GR shell does not bother me in the slightest.

So i 'll be demoing that and the PSP.. this could turn out great.

TheoM wrote:
kvaca wrote:

another options are:

Hi, Kjaerhus win only, and an asshole for an (ex) developer

vertigo i have, and i like it, but on acoustic stuff

Waves is VERY expensive and limited.. being a mercury owner though the next time they have their specials of 40 or 50% off, i'l l; be able to get the ssl bundle for around $270. don't know if it;s worth it?

Sonnox is fabulous, but the worst transfer fees in the business, bar none. I have posted lectures on this before, it's not only the fees, they are very very greedy. I can't buy from those people.

Wil check out PSS< never demoed it in my life. Good call!

Duende sounds horrible, some agree, some don't.
Theo,
I personally prefer PSP Buspressor from all SSL clones,but try for yorself and you will see...demo is available here:
http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/dyn ... sspressor/

Return to “Effects”