2.1.0 b5 - automation rebuilt

Official support for: tx16wx.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Kontakt automation names can be changed while the instance is running, as well. Sure, you have to change it via script (if so inclined), then resave and reload the instrument, but it works... Just saying.

Thanks for the info :)

I'm guessing it rewrites the vstxml file then. Which still would not work for the TX16Wx (that is not dynamic names, just not wholly hard coded in the plugin).
Afaik, the only host that actually uses getParameterProperties is VSTHost (Herman, you are great!). And even that only reads the parameter properties on first use, which again makes it almost useless for these purposes.
It would be awesome if reaper would start using it though, since automation in general is pretty neat in reaper. And we all love reaper! ;-)
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

elcallio wrote:I'm guessing it rewrites the vstxml file then. Which still would not work for the TX16Wx (that is not dynamic names, just not wholly hard coded in the plugin).
Afaik, the only host that actually uses getParameterProperties is VSTHost [...] And even that only reads the parameter properties on first use, which again makes it almost useless for these purposes.
It's a rather costly operation (besides setting up internal structures for the parameter, VSTHost also integrates informations from a matching .vstxml file/resource at this time), and since there's no method to inform the host about changes to a specific parameter's properties (it's not strictly prohibited, but, as so much in the VST SDK, simply unspecified behavior), the host would permanently have to check for changes.

Regarding an older post in this thread:
elcallio wrote:VST standard sets the param name length to 8 characters. And to make it worse, the callbacks do not even provide a buffer size, thus host implementations cannot even allow for longer names. (Great design steinberg!)
Things are even worse if you look at them from the other side (host development). You wouldn't believe how many PlugIns ignore the limit and copy longer strings into the buffer. Some add a delimiter, some don't. It's great fun to work around that.
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

elcallio wrote:for me the automation lanes in reaper display the correct names.
Yes, seems fine here also now (using the same build). I think my eyes must have gone a bit dyslexic due to tiredness. I'll try the new build later. :)

arakula wrote:
elcallio wrote:I'm guessing it rewrites the vstxml file then. Which still would not work for the TX16Wx (that is not dynamic names, just not wholly hard coded in the plugin).
Afaik, the only host that actually uses getParameterProperties is VSTHost [...] And even that only reads the parameter properties on first use, which again makes it almost useless for these purposes.
It's a rather costly operation (besides setting up internal structures for the parameter, VSTHost also integrates informations from a matching .vstxml file/resource at this time), and since there's no method to inform the host about changes to a specific parameter's properties (it's not strictly prohibited, but, as so much in the VST SDK, simply unspecified behavior), the host would permanently have to check for changes.

Regarding an older post in this thread:
elcallio wrote:VST standard sets the param name length to 8 characters. And to make it worse, the callbacks do not even provide a buffer size, thus host implementations cannot even allow for longer names. (Great design steinberg!)
Things are even worse if you look at them from the other side (host development). You wouldn't believe how many PlugIns ignore the limit and copy longer strings into the buffer. Some add a delimiter, some don't. It's great fun to work around that.
Oh, I agree. And you won't catch me defending too many aspects of the VST interface any day soon. ;-)
Though a reasonable compromise regarding updating param info might be to do what reaper seems to do, i.e. re-check parameter names etc on opening the "parameter window", from which track lane parameters are selected. Then use that in "normal" display.

As for the problem for a host handling buffers, I'd say three memory pages, one guard, one buffer and a last guard page is the only safe way! ;-)
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

EvilDragon wrote:In Kontakt automation names can be changed while the instance is running, as well. Sure, you have to change it via script (if so inclined), then resave and reload the instrument, but it works... Just saying.

Thanks for the info :)
.. or if you just assign a different knob to the parameter (or to another parameter)

PS Non-Reaper hosts use 16 character parameter names too (is this vstxml resource within the dll file?)
Last edited by DarkStar on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

It can be both embedded and as a file next to the DLL itself.
http://www.oifii.org/ns-org/nsd/ar/cp/v ... truct.html
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

While not an issue for me, in Maschine you just see Param 0, Param 0, Param 0 etc .. and then Param 1, param 1, Param 1.. :)

(i use Mux to create custom names so im not affected by this .. and i doubt many will use TX16Wx within Maschine even though there are some benefits - ie random sampleplay)
:hug:

Wave matrix crashed when click to button in the Reaper latest version.

GTC Studio wrote:Wave matrix crashed when click to button in the Reaper latest version.
Sorry, but I cannot see anything like that here. Can you reproduce it, and if so, can you send me the offending bank?
/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Return to “CWITEC”