alternative like dr rex? **FOUND** GEIST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you're already happy with UVIWorkstation preview,
you'll get the same thing in MOTU MachFive plus the editing and creation of your own sliced loops.
http://www.motu.com/products/software/m ... l#loop-lab
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Hi otristan, i am not sure with the player if it is reading the exact original slice points though, but it previews to tempo ok.. is it slicing or using stretch? i am not sure..

so my question is, before i investigate mach five, does it read the loop's ORIGINAL slice points as sliced by the creator in recycle.

TheoM wrote:Hi otristan, i am not sure with the player if it is reading the exact original slice points though, but it previews to tempo ok.. is it slicing or using stretch? i am not sure..

so my question is, before i investigate mach five, does it read the loop's ORIGINAL slice points as sliced by the creator in recycle.
M5 read the original slices information from the REX file using the REX shared library. (same thing for UVIWorkstation FWIW)
You can as well auto detect or manually edit those if required.

M5 features a sliced based time stretch oscillator which is the default one when reading REX files or other sample with slices informations (ACID and Apple loops)
It features as well two other time stretch oscillators: one Low CPU and a very high quality one.

Hope this clarify things.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

Cheers.. i will look into it and watch some videos i can find. Thanks for the tip.

Tested geist lite.. about 200 loops so far, hit rate is 30 - 40% good. Dr Rex 100%

Geist just plays things in the wrong order often, totally misses slices,

this is simply with autoload and autoplay selected which previews (attempts to) the loop to tempo with project. And then once loaded too.

I can see once it's loaded i can tweak it to maybe get the pattern the way it was intended.. but unless i load dr rex every time how will i know LOL that whatever i hear in geist, any time, is correct?

Can't find the lite to full upgrade discount anywhere.

Also, i couldn't find a way to midi drag and drop.. which is sad.. and please let me know if i have missed it or if it's a full version thing?.. sad because the rest of geist is killer and can do anything the DR could do and then some.. has all the reverse, individual pitch, etc etc i could ever want. Lastly, i couldn't find a way to click on a slice in the waveform display itself and audition it. Anyone?

Geist Lite also crashed on me after a couple of instances, removing them then reloading (i wanted to clear all memory)

It's a real shame it's accuracy is so poor, cause the lite version (if it does have midi drag and drop) is all i would ever need.

UVI workstation definitely previews *everything* flawlessly, exactly like dr rex, amazing. Not one fault so far. BUT it can't do ANYTHING with it once it's there, besides change the overall pitch (with terrible quality, warbles), turn it into a time stretch file, or drop the audio file into your host sequencer. Hmmmm. I sincerely hope Mach5 is alot better in this regard.

would motu bpm be of any use to me? never thought of that

TheoM wrote:would motu bpm be of any use to me? never thought of that
BPM do not feature slice algorithm editing so you won't gain anything on this aspect compared to UVIWorkstation.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

Ok.. and since there is no demo, what CAN mach5 do with rex?

I've tried a few 3rd party loops with Geist, even loaded wav and rex versions and it seems to be spot on with the slicing and the timing, odd loops sound a bit off on some of the hits but it definitely slices all the transients. Drag and drop should just be click on the pattern and drag to host. Audition slice should just be click on the upper waveform display. :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

TheoM wrote:Tested geist lite.. about 200 loops so far, hit rate is 30 - 40% good. Dr Rex 100%

That is so piss poor... Since you tested this far, you may as well ask on the Geist forum just to see if there is some workflow or configuration or update to address that.

TheoM wrote:Ok.. and since there is no demo, what CAN mach5 do with rex?
The Slice oscillator itself allows you to create/edit markers, adjust ADSR for each slices(only one setting for all slices though), adjust pitch/speed, DnD MIDI file, map to keyboard slices

Once mapped then this just like any other sample set in M5, so you can easily apply all the sound design facilities of M5 for each slices independently : filter, FX, modulation, playback direction, use timestretch/pitchshift algorithm, layer with other sample or synth.

This is not a "loop station" so you won't get immediate result like a dedicated plugin but I'm pretty sure you can achieved what you can do with any other dedicated plugins and more.

If you have special needs, just ask, I will be able to tell you if you can achieve those.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

musikmachine wrote:I've tried a few 3rd party loops with Geist, even loaded wav and rex versions and it seems to be spot on with the slicing and the timing, odd loops sound a bit off on some of the hits but it definitely slices all the transients. Drag and drop should just be click on the pattern and drag to host. Audition slice should just be click on the upper waveform display. :)
Slicing all the transients is not what i am looking for.. reading the original slice points of the rex files is.

the audition slice doesn't work here by clicking :( That was the very first thing i tried to do.

It makes sense now, that's why the drum loops seemed ok but not the riffs or bass

Guys I am bumping this as i can currently get Geist brand new for $99 and that is MUCh cheaper than going with Mach 5,
so i want to know if any geist gurus here, before the sale runs out, can tell me if i am doing anything wrong where Geist doesn't red the rex files at the original slice points properly.

Ok here's the deal. I've promised Fxpansion to spend $200 on products to make up for the RE refund and two free transfers worth $100, so that's around $180 value, but i want to spend 200 to be completely and utterly fair and square with them
obviously i want to spend it on stuff i WILL use, and the first 100 has already been covered with synth squad the other day.

The thing is Fxpansion NEVER asked for this, ok, all my doing, but i have given them my absolute word that i am going to do this to clear the air (long story) and no matter what, even if i am dying, never ask for a transfer.

So this $200 will be for stuff i am with for life, and i don't want to buy the wrong thing.

So simply, i can't get geist lite to read the original rex loop points,. You can see it fumbling trying to play the loop, and skipping around playing things our of order.

If i import a rex file into logic, or using the free UVI player, they are 100% correct in playback, so

1) either i am doing it wrong

2) it's not an intended feature of geist

3) It's a bug in geist.

I really hope it's number 1) as this would be so useful for my REx files for all the OTHER functions it does, if i can only get it to play them back correctly. It would actually replace DR Rex for me!

So please help whilst sale is on!

Cheers!

Theo do you have a copy of Ableton live on hand? Did you know it has a built in slice to midi track function?
:borg:

So does logic as explained on a page somewhere here. I use it all the time and it works extremely accurately. Still, geist is very fast to remix with with one click, but more importantly, logic is very slow at previewing loops. It sometimes takes a couple of bars each loop you click before it starts. It always does them spot on, but it's slow to "get it".

I do have live full actually, non suite version but the next one up from the lite, so all the features.

Live previews rex files very fast, true, i guess it was more about doing stuff in logic as much as possible wherever possible, but, live is a great tool.

Hmmmm.. maybe geist isn;t the answer. I'll have a good look at maul. PS before anyone recommends Tremor, i currently have the demo installed and whilst it is a breeze to use and i really like the sequencer compared to say rob papen punch or microtonic, I just can't get the sort of sounds out of it that i like. :shrug:

Totally confused about this.. i liked the clap.. but honestly that was it.. went through every preset of every drum so far, and i am really lost as to where the love comes from, particularly with the cymbals, toms, and kick drums. So i spent another couple horus tweaking just the kick drum every way i could think of, and it was just not to my liking. In fact, i think i honestly prefer waldorff attack, and punch. Actually waldorf attack + RP punch's sound engines, in tremor's sequencer/gui would be a flawless synth drum plugin! Oh, if someone simply want's cool "sounds", not supposed to actually represent particular drums, then tremor could be cool. I just said it first before it was recommended here as the other i should buy to make up the $$ :)

Return to “Instruments”