Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 vs. Steinberg UR22

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

does someone had maybe experience of both yet? i have the focusrite atm but can still return it and am thinking about the steiberg audio inferace if it gets me some advantages.

any points maybe?

Can't contribute much, but iv'e just ordered the Scarlet and waiting for it to arrive. What are exactly the features you miss on the Scarlet?

ferez21 wrote:Can't contribute much, but iv'e just ordered the Scarlet and waiting for it to arrive. What are exactly the features you miss on the Scarlet?
not really, well maybe the edditional midi connections, nice option!

maybe the case and overall production seems sturdier? the focusrite is ok but the headphones connection is not sturdy and the grey knobs feel cheap.

and maybe the audio quality and drivers are better from steinberg.

I bought a Focusrite Scarlet 18i6 a couple months ago and really enjoy it compared to the Steinberg interface I was using previously. I feel the drivers are written a lot more efficient which passes on better performance for the end user. I'm in Cubase 6.5 and 7.01 for reference.

I wrote an article reviewing the the UR22 here

I don't have any experience with the focusrite scarlett 2i2, so to be fair, the only comparison I can make between it and the UR22 is from what is laid out on paper for both units.

From a features standpoint, the only things that the UR22 has over the 2i2 is midi I/O and up to 192 kHz of recording quality. To some, that's important. To others not so much. If you're already using a usb midi interface, chances are having traditional midi I/O connectors are not all that important to you. As far as 192 kHz of recording quality is concerned, my personal opinion is that I'm indifferent. The 2i2 caps out at 96 kHz which is pretty high to begin with and I personally believe that few people could hear the difference between a 96 kHz and 192 kHz recording. I record at 44.1 kHz and I'm perfectly happy with the quality of my mixes. Apples and oranges.

Outside of this, the only other difference between them are their internal preamps. The UR22 uses the same D-Pre preamps found in Yamaha's MGP series mixers. The 2i2 comes with the same preamps found in their Saffire PRO 40 and Liquid Saffire 56 interfaces. I find that the preamps on the UR22 provide a very clean and uncolored signal... nothing mind blowing but accomplish exactly what they are set out to do. I have no experience with Focusrite preamps but considering they specialize in preamp manufacturing, I can only assume they are very high caliber.

Seeing as how they have the same exact price point, I think it boils down to preference. I'm partial to Steinberg because I use Cubase and the UR22 integrates seamlessly with it. But for anyone with absolutely no point of reference between both interfaces, my suggestion is to demo them both and see which one speaks to you the most.

got the UR22 too now and have to check if it has any differences qualitywise.

anyone knows how i can see to compare them and check their quality?

I only have the Scarlett 2i2 and I am very happy with it as far as a basic interface goes. The plugins that came with it are VERY nice as well. However, one thing that annoys me about this little thing (which is to be expected at this price point) is that it pops and crackles quite a bit when switching from one audio source to the next (exiting my DAW to listen to Windows Media Player). I suppose it is just switching from ASIO to Directsound or WDM drivers or something automatically, but those little clicks pops can be very annoying some times.

Having said that... if you have it using your DAW with ASIO, you cannot simutaneously listen to something else on the internet or Windows Media player. I came from a Saffire Firewire and M-Audio 2496 where I could monitor multiple sources at a time and switch seamlessly, so it has taken some getting used to.

Do I wish I saved for something a little nicer... because it is bottom barrel for entry level, but the ASIO is quite reasonable compared to ASIO4All. I just keep pushing it and pushing it and it automatically adjusts to the latency on its own.

I really just like it as a headphone AMP and a potential Mic Pre for rough ideas or basic percussion recording. The specs are all good, but do not be fooled into thinking it will be Pro... maybe semi Pro, but only if you do everything right with your signal chain.

Could you buy worse... yes, I am sure. These drivers seem stable in Windows 7 64 bit. USB Plug and Play. ;)

Caine123 wrote:got the UR22 too now and have to check if it has any differences qualitywise.

anyone knows how i can see to compare them and check their quality?
Using your ears? :wink:

My UR22 just arrived today and everything seems to work quite fine. The hardware itself is very sturdy; the knobs are firm and the whole thing is quite heavy (which I like)! Installation went without problems and it's stable (unlike the MOTU I used before this!).

One thing that bothers me is that I haven't figured if it's possible for several programs to utilize the interface at the same time. Another is that there's some sound bleeding through even if I have the volume knob turned all the way down. Oh and also something pretty weird: there's a very faint beeping sound audible whenever I move my mouse. :D (not affected by the volume control)

One thing that bothers me is that I haven't figured if it's possible for several programs to utilize the interface at the same time.
Unlike all other interfaces?
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

The Focusrite 2i2 can have several programs access it at the same time. I can run Minihost and Geist standalone at the same time using the 2i2 for both. Haven't put any more to the test.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

The UR22 is the best for me. I haven't heard the others but this interface is all you need. I can tell you this.

mixbro wrote:The UR22 is the best for me. I haven't heard the others but this interface is all you need. I can tell you this.
spamming 3 times the same reply? would think you are from steinberg hahahaha

i have no probs with my focusrite, a great and cheap audio interface! i like the knobs more than on steinberg!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
every one send what they have we will collect it later
i need an audio sample's recorded vocal from you so i can make my diction please help me the noise level and the gain for every audio interface that's will help me a lot and help other people and which the best
Steinberg UR22 \Steinberg UR44\Roland due \Roland Quad\Scarlett 2i4\Native6
thank's a lot for your time my best regard's.Saad Altashany
saad6c1@gmail.com (mailto:saad6c1@gmail.com)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”