Why can't I buy a 96 db hi/lo pass filter?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DaveGamble wrote:Sharper than Butterworth is the optimal Laguerre structure, which is monotonic, and very sharp
isn't that the papoulis-filter, you are refering to - also sometimes called legendre-filter? in my book, laguerre filters are filters that replace unit delays with 1st order allpasses (thereby achieving a warping of the frequency response).
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

TheoM wrote:
kvaca wrote:
TheoM wrote: ....Voxengo...it's a real shame he refuses to make a totally versatile all in one eq, only different ones that all miss necessary features.
off course its easily possible for him to do it that way ,but he apparently wants to sell more products instead of one totally versatile EQ :lol:
...are he is not the only one in this...
well does he even HAVE an eq with 48db filters?
probably not what you want,but Curve eq can be even steeper...fft based :wink:

kvaca wrote:probably not what you want,but Curve eq can be even steeper...fft based :wink:
I don't want to pre-supposed exactly what you're thinking here, but I've noticed what *seems* to be a supposition, at least a couple of times in this thread, that FFT filtering is sharper than other methods. But direct FFT filtering can only be as sharp as the resolution of the FFT, also taking into account the frequency spacing...Like I said, I don't want to "assume", but I'm wondering if people are making the mistake of confusing the characteristics of a single cycle FFT (for which you can zero any harmonics you want, exactly) with overlapped FFTs not locked to a cycle...

??
My audio DSP blog: earlevel.com

kvaca wrote:probably not what you want,but Curve eq can be even steeper...fft based :wink:
Also...I know nothing about Gliss, but for one thing I'd wonder if it's really an FFT-based analyzer with convolution filtering. Even if the convolution is done in the frequency domain (which is highly likely), I still wouldn't call that FFT filtering—but maybe you would, which is why I said I didn't want to make too many assumptions about what you mean...

earlevel wrote:
Also...I know nothing about Gliss, but for one thing I'd wonder if it's really an FFT-based analyzer with convolution filtering. Even if the convolution is done in the frequency domain (which is highly likely), I still wouldn't call that FFT filtering—but maybe you would, which is why I said I didn't want to make too many assumptions about what you mean...
probably you are right if you are talking about curve eq and not gliss eq...is it a typo above?

in any case Voxengo dont have any typical 48 db cut filters Theo is looking for...AFAIK curve eq is more or less freehand so you cannot exactly specify the slope of filter...at least in old version I have :)
Last edited by kvaca on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robin from www.rs-met.com wrote:
DaveGamble wrote:Sharper than Butterworth is the optimal Laguerre structure, which is monotonic, and very sharp
isn't that the papoulis-filter, you are refering to - also sometimes called legendre-filter? in my book, laguerre filters are filters that replace unit delays with 1st order allpasses (thereby achieving a warping of the frequency response).
Absolutely. Very sorry! Typo corrected! (and I've amended my previous post to avoid confusion).

Cheers!

Dave.
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

kvaca wrote:probably you are right if you are talking about curve eq and not gliss eq...is it a typo above?
Yes, sorry, just mixed that in with the references to Gliss in the thread, but I was making my guesses from a quick look at the CurveEQ product page :wink:

http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html -> EngineersFilter
As great as all his other plugins. 32 Bit only though AFAIK.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Rubber filter
and the filter in REaplugs (fft)

both fall straight down

MDynamicEq - up to 120dB/oct, including shelves ;).

Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Betabugs Bugpass
pretty much a vertical cut.
but a bandpass/notch so i guess doesn't count

Return to “Effects”