Audio Interface Noob

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just bought a Saffire 40 and seem to have a few issues. I'm a total noob to anything OTB so some of these might be really simply solved by the big brains on this forum. hope so!

3 things i'm sure i need help on...
  • I have a signal hitting -3db on the Saffire signal level meters (had to check the manual to see what they were called :( ) but in live it's a lot lower. No idea exactly what right now... too many belgian beers.

i have a dark energy from doepfer (spell check is not helping here) and it's a monophonic synth. it's coming in to live only on the left channel. I'm having to put a utility to on it to get it through both channels.

my blofeld has a stereo out, via an independent left and right. i got them going into input 3 and 4 respectively. but i'm having to try and visually match the levels of the two channels on the afore mentioned signal level meters. that seems just weird. i must be doing something wrong here.
any ideas? help much appreciated!

what driver are you using? if you sending your sound trough win7 (if that's what you're using) the win7 output may affect it.
use ASIO in your DAW.

I have had issues with the sound on focusrite myself, for me it was distortion. changed to m-audio and never had better sound.

hope it helps you in the right direction!
experimental/antimainstreamdude

http://soundcloud.com/grebsok

Make sure you check your mixer panel for the Saffire. I don't use Ableton Live but you probably have your mono channel that the Doepfer is plugged into still panned left and monitoring on a stereo channel in Live? If that's the case pan it center. If it's anything like Cubase there should be some sorta audio connections setup page which will help you route the audio further with the program.

For your Waldorf... If I remember correctly there stuff doesn't have a lot of gain internally. Go look at your Saffire mixer again crank up the volume there.

This is the mixer you should be configuring, btw...
http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/jan09 ... o40_02.jpg

DELETED

solved some of my problems and thought i might detail that out for the next guy who has these issues...

regarding the dark energy being mono, the secret there is to switch the input (for that channel) on ableton's side to mono, which is found in preferences. once i did that the DE came in at a decent volume on both left and right.

still have to solve the3 other issues, so if you have a view, let it be known!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”