Diva replaces, well, everything...

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

my only analog is now my FR-777 - if Diva had some 303 guts then it would be close to pushing that off of my desk as well though.

ford442 wrote:my only analog is now my FR-777 - if Diva had some 303 guts then it would be close to pushing that off of my desk as well though.
What do you think of the D16 stuff?
:borg:

i have used Phoscyon since it came out. it is a nice sound. i find ABL a little closer to the original. Lush has moved my SH-101 off of my working area - but, the FR-777 has a unique quality and powerful multi-osc sounds that normal 303 emu's don't cover.

V0RT3X wrote:
I am going to be re-buying all U-HE stuff back soon enough <3
Why ever would you sell in the first place?

pdxindy wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:

I was desperate and needed some money for some urgent bills.

Trust me I regret it.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:

I was desperate and needed some money for some urgent bills.

Trust me I regret it.
Ahhh... yes, that is a painful reason... :(

analoguesamples909 wrote:Im broke so I may sell my Moog Source, as on simple patches (which is all source can do anyway) Diva is very close. Its just a shame that with more filter closed sounds - it sounds a bit muted to me. I find with my analogue stuff even when you have the cutoff closed - there is air in the sound. Ive heard a few people say that also.
Interesting - I've been curious to know how well Diva can emulate the Source.

Do you have any tips for how to tweak Diva to sound most Source-like? Any things (other than the muted sound with a closed filter) to watch out for? How do the ranges for the Source's parameters compare to Diva? (eg, does Diva's filter knob cover a wider range or is it about the same? When you match a sound, are the knobs in similar positions or are there certain knobs that are pretty different and you have to rely on your ears to dial it in?)

Sorry for the barrage of questions, just very curious and it sounds like you've become pretty familiar with the similarities and differences.

Sorry you're broke, too. That's a tough spot to be in, and having to give up a favored synth to pay the bills really sucks. Hope things improve soon.

I don't have a source, but in general Diva's knobs have a larger range. This is most audible in the Cutoff modulation knobs. On normal synths the modulation by envelope goes unipolar between 0 and 5V, so about 5 octaves. Our modulation knob covers almost 11 Octaves and is bipolar, hence 22 Octaves. As a rule of thumb, cutoff modulation depth maps "one way round" of the analogue knob to "12 o'clock till about 3 o'clock" on Diva's filters.

Keyfollow otoh is always perfectly matched, every synth seems to map 100% keyfollow to note frequency tuning. The breakpoint may vary though, in Diva it's either c3 or e3 (can't remember), in some other synths it may be a different note.

Other modulation knobs are either matched (PWM comes to mind) or simply feature a wider range due to bipolar behaviour.

For almost everything else Diva's knobs are quite well matched, say, +/- 10% towards the reference synths we have. Filter tuning and relative oscillator volume were the main areas where we had to compromise.

Oh yes, Glide times and main/VCA volume are of course "u-he", we haven't done anything to match those at all :-)

When the arp is added I'm hoping there'll be arbitrary clock rates as I use arps for chiptune/SID style "chord on one voice" effects a lot :)

If not arbitrary, then the ability to go up to 64th and 128th notes would be useful to get "fast" timings in a range of tempii.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:When the arp is added I'm hoping there'll be arbitrary clock rates as I use arps for chiptune/SID style "chord on one voice" effects a lot :)

If not arbitrary, then the ability to go up to 64th and 128th notes would be useful to get "fast" timings in a range of tempii.
Will think about it ;)

Not Zebra... 8)

DHR53 wrote:Not Zebra... 8)
or Bazille 8)

News From The Sky wrote: Interesting - I've been curious to know how well Diva can emulate the Source.

Do you have any tips for how to tweak Diva to sound most Source-like? Any things (other than the muted sound with a closed filter) to watch out for? How do the ranges for the Source's parameters compare to Diva? (eg, does Diva's filter knob cover a wider range or is it about the same? When you match a sound, are the knobs in similar positions or are there certain knobs that are pretty different and you have to rely on your ears to dial it in?)

Sorry for the barrage of questions, just very curious and it sounds like you've become pretty familiar with the similarities and differences.

Sorry you're broke, too. That's a tough spot to be in, and having to give up a favored synth to pay the bills really sucks. Hope things improve soon.
I have to admit I have not focussed on things like position of settings when comparing my Source - more the sound. One thing I do with Diva is to use the analogue ADSR envelopes - as the Source also has ADSR, and obviously the Source only has 2 Osc. In terms of sound the Source Osc are slightly different - I can get a slightly more 'reedy' pulse out of the Source - but the Diva Osc seem more 'sonorous' which I attribute to the Minimoog oscillators. Its pretty close tho to be honest. I have not compared the sync sounds between them yet. The Source is a simple synth tho so tbh there is not much tweaking that needs to be done to Diva to sound similar. I still find the Diva high end to be a bit shrill compared to the analogue - when you have the filter open. I think slight analogue movement perhaps makes high frequencies slightly more easy to listen to. The low end is strong on Diva tho and comparable with my analogue machine which is impressive - every other VA emulation has very much lacked in this area that Ive tried...

yeah being broke aint great but hey easy come easy go-gotta go with the flow. Its been a pleasure and a bit of a luxury for me to own some vintage synths - and they have gained value. Although tech fees took up a bit of that...

I used to have a Mopho and a Tetra. I made this little demo of "Strobe" with one of the presets on the Tetra for fun a while ago when I was testing it. I just found it again. Although, they're not the same presets, I think that the analog vibe is all there in Diva and the sound could be matched 100%.

www.anthonywebster.com/audio/tetra_strobe.mp3
www.anthonywebster.com/audio/diva_strobe.mp3
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:I used to have a Mopho and a Tetra. I made this little demo of "Strobe" with one of the presets on the Tetra for fun a while ago when I was testing it. I just found it again. Although, they're not the same presets, I think that the analog vibe is all there in Diva and the sound could be matched 100%.

www.anthonywebster.com/audio/tetra_strobe.mp3
www.anthonywebster.com/audio/diva_strobe.mp3
Hey that's cool for a basic mono patch!

Return to “u-he”