What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

2.1.0 b5 - automation rebuilt

Official support for: tx16wx.com

Moderator: elcallio

EvilDragon
KVRAF

10016 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:15 pm

In Kontakt automation names can be changed while the instance is running, as well. Sure, you have to change it via script (if so inclined), then resave and reload the instrument, but it works... Just saying.

Thanks for the info :)
elcallio
KVRian

929 posts since 27 May, 2005, from Stockholm

Postby elcallio; Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm guessing it rewrites the vstxml file then. Which still would not work for the TX16Wx (that is not dynamic names, just not wholly hard coded in the plugin).
Afaik, the only host that actually uses getParameterProperties is VSTHost (Herman, you are great!). And even that only reads the parameter properties on first use, which again makes it almost useless for these purposes.
It would be awesome if reaper would start using it though, since automation in general is pretty neat in reaper. And we all love reaper! ;-)
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/
arakula
KVRAF

1936 posts since 16 Aug, 2004, from Vienna, Austria

Postby arakula; Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:43 pm

elcallio wrote:I'm guessing it rewrites the vstxml file then. Which still would not work for the TX16Wx (that is not dynamic names, just not wholly hard coded in the plugin).
Afaik, the only host that actually uses getParameterProperties is VSTHost [...] And even that only reads the parameter properties on first use, which again makes it almost useless for these purposes.

It's a rather costly operation (besides setting up internal structures for the parameter, VSTHost also integrates informations from a matching .vstxml file/resource at this time), and since there's no method to inform the host about changes to a specific parameter's properties (it's not strictly prohibited, but, as so much in the VST SDK, simply unspecified behavior), the host would permanently have to check for changes.

Regarding an older post in this thread:
elcallio wrote:VST standard sets the param name length to 8 characters. And to make it worse, the callbacks do not even provide a buffer size, thus host implementations cannot even allow for longer names. (Great design steinberg!)

Things are even worse if you look at them from the other side (host development). You wouldn't believe how many PlugIns ignore the limit and copy longer strings into the buffer. Some add a delimiter, some don't. It's great fun to work around that.
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image
IXIX
KVRist

148 posts since 7 Feb, 2007

Postby IXIX; Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:58 am

elcallio wrote:for me the automation lanes in reaper display the correct names.

Yes, seems fine here also now (using the same build). I think my eyes must have gone a bit dyslexic due to tiredness. I'll try the new build later. :)
elcallio
KVRian

Postby elcallio; Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:22 am

arakula wrote:
elcallio wrote:I'm guessing it rewrites the vstxml file then. Which still would not work for the TX16Wx (that is not dynamic names, just not wholly hard coded in the plugin).
Afaik, the only host that actually uses getParameterProperties is VSTHost [...] And even that only reads the parameter properties on first use, which again makes it almost useless for these purposes.

It's a rather costly operation (besides setting up internal structures for the parameter, VSTHost also integrates informations from a matching .vstxml file/resource at this time), and since there's no method to inform the host about changes to a specific parameter's properties (it's not strictly prohibited, but, as so much in the VST SDK, simply unspecified behavior), the host would permanently have to check for changes.

Regarding an older post in this thread:
elcallio wrote:VST standard sets the param name length to 8 characters. And to make it worse, the callbacks do not even provide a buffer size, thus host implementations cannot even allow for longer names. (Great design steinberg!)

Things are even worse if you look at them from the other side (host development). You wouldn't believe how many PlugIns ignore the limit and copy longer strings into the buffer. Some add a delimiter, some don't. It's great fun to work around that.

Oh, I agree. And you won't catch me defending too many aspects of the VST interface any day soon. ;-)
Though a reasonable compromise regarding updating param info might be to do what reaper seems to do, i.e. re-check parameter names etc on opening the "parameter window", from which track lane parameters are selected. Then use that in "normal" display.

As for the problem for a host handling buffers, I'd say three memory pages, one guard, one buffer and a last guard page is the only safe way! ;-)
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
DarkStar
KVRAF

6437 posts since 2 Sep, 2003, from Surrey, UK

Postby DarkStar; Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:10 am

EvilDragon wrote:In Kontakt automation names can be changed while the instance is running, as well. Sure, you have to change it via script (if so inclined), then resave and reload the instrument, but it works... Just saying.

Thanks for the info :)

.. or if you just assign a different knob to the parameter (or to another parameter)

PS Non-Reaper hosts use 16 character parameter names too (is this vstxml resource within the dll file?)
Last edited by DarkStar on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar
Interesting, if true ...
elcallio
KVRian

Postby elcallio; Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 am

TX16Wx Software Sampler:
Crackbaby
KVRAF

2857 posts since 10 Sep, 2003, from Karlskoga, Stockholm, Sweden

Postby Crackbaby; Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:10 am

While not an issue for me, in Maschine you just see Param 0, Param 0, Param 0 etc .. and then Param 1, param 1, Param 1.. :)

(i use Mux to create custom names so im not affected by this .. and i doubt many will use TX16Wx within Maschine even though there are some benefits - ie random sampleplay)
Elektron Machinedrum Mk1 UW, Analog4, Octatrack
Soundcraft EFX12, Alesis 3630, Nanocompressor, Zoom G13, Tapco 3630
Gordon-Smith Gypsy, Yamaha THR10, P-80
M-Audio Delta 24/96 PCI
GTC Studio
KVRer

1 post since 29 May, 2009, from Latvia

Postby GTC Studio; Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Wave matrix crashed when click to button in the Reaper latest version.
elcallio
KVRian

Postby elcallio; Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 pm

GTC Studio wrote:Wave matrix crashed when click to button in the Reaper latest version.

Sorry, but I cannot see anything like that here. Can you reproduce it, and if so, can you send me the offending bank?
/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
Previous

Moderator: elcallio

Return to CWITEC