ValhallaVintageVerb 1.7.1. Two new reverb modes (Chaotic Hall, Chaotic Chamber)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaVintageVerb

thermal wrote: I only like the NOW mode on the ambience program so far, most stuff the 80's. Seems NOW and 70's are more like the special effects, 80's sound I think i would use most. It just takes the unwanted 'edge' off. I may change my mind later, that's just initial impressions.
I tend to lean towards the 1970s mode for unobtrusive reverbs, although the 1980s mode gets a lot of use here. For most situations, I don't like hearing the top octave in a reverb, so the bandlimited 1970s modes work for me.
I think there are not many great records that you can hear that extreme high frequency detail of NOW mode, sounds more like a record in 80's :)
I agree with you there! I put in the NOW mode for folks that like really clean reverbs, or folks that like to compare reverbs by noise floor and frequency response. The NOW mode is also useful for getting a clean reverb, where the high frequencies are tamed with the Damping and EQ controls, or via an EQ on a send.

Sean Costello

When's the next update coming? Not that I need it right now..I am just curious. :D Will new Sanctuary mode come with some new presets?

Cimbasso wrote:When's the next update coming? Not that I need it right now..I am just curious. :D Will new Sanctuary mode come with some new presets?
I should have the beta out within the next few days. It was supposed to be done earlier, but non-job stuff intervened.

Sean Costello

actually, i've used that live a bit (using NOW mode with the low/high cut to tame it)... on some sources, the noisy modulation sounds great, on others, it just makes the reverb stick out more. i've been able to get more unobtrusive but spacy reverbs that way, great on vocals & acoustic guitar in sparse arrangements...

I've just sent out the 1.0.1b23 release of ValhallaVintageVerb out to a bunch of people.

Changes since the last beta:

AUTOMUTE. If the output of the plugin exceeds +12 dB, the plugin will mute its outputs. This level measurement is taken *before* the output happens. A few users have reported loud noise bursts, that are generally not repeatable, and that I haven't been able to reproduce on any of my systems (so I haven't been able to track down the cause). The Automute will prevent any noise bursts from reaching your speakers/headphones, and will display a message saying "Internal Overload." I've tested this with various SUPER LOUD input signals, and the plugin will simply mute until the output level drops below +12 dB.

SANCTUARY CHANGES. Sanctuary is the new reverb mode, very loosely inspired by the EMT250. I'd been tinkering with the algorithm since the last beta:
- The early reflections are slightly different. To be precise, the first early reflection from the older beta has been removed, and the reflection gains have been changed. This results in a far more balanced stereo image.
- Converter models. The 1970s and 1980s modes in Sanctuary now have "dynamic bit reduction." This is a way of quantizing the signal to a certain bit depth, while riding the input/output gain levels of the quantization, so that the tail has a natural decay. This was inspired by the gain convertors in the Lexicon 224/224XL, as well as the AMS RMX16 (the unit used to dial in the sound). The 1970s mode has more quantization/noise than the 1980s mode, while the NOW mode is clean.
- Improved fixed lowpass filters in the 1970s and 1980s modes. The new filters have a steeper cutoff, and a bit of wiggle in the passband, to better emulate the elliptic filters used in older hardware.
- The early reflections are fixed for all Size settings, while the late reverb changes according to Size. This allows users to have that EMT-esque initial sound (with Attack set to 0%), while using Size to control the "tightness" of the late reverb decay.

Any existing users of the full version of ValhallaVintageVerb are welcome to test the beta. Just send me an email, or PM me with your email address, and I'll send you the links.

Assuming that this beta works for people, I hope to release this as the official 1.0.1 release in the next few days. At that point, I'll send out update links to all users via MailChimp.

Sean Costello

I think this is it - the early reflections sound even better now, the quantization in Sanctuary/70s mode seems to smoothen things even more.

Hi Sean
I Got the previous Beta but not this one, is there a way to get it?

Cheers
David

Testing the latest Beta with some metal sounds (Alchemistry Metallurgy):

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/v ... -sanctuary

Sampleconstruct wrote:Testing the latest Beta with some metal sounds (Alchemistry Metallurgy):

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/v ... -sanctuary
Very nice!

I am looking for a reverb which can do rich, long reverbs. Top of my list is B2. Can VVV play in the same league quality wise? Haven't had the time to demo it.

(So far i am using Toraverb, Eareverb, Waves TrueVerb and Rverb, and Studio One Verbs)
Last edited by cyphersuit on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finally!

cyphersuit wrote:I am looking for a reverb which can do rich, long reverbs. Top of my list is B2. Can VVV play in the same league quality wise? Haven't had the time to demo it.

(So far i am using Toraverb, Eareverb and Studio One Verbs)
You came to the right place. Now find the time to demo it. You won't be disappointed.

cyphersuit wrote:I am looking for a reverb which can do rich, long reverbs. Top of my list is B2. Can VVV play in the same league quality wise? Haven't had the time to demo it.

(So far i am using Toraverb, Eareverb and Studio One Verbs)
It most definitely can and it can also do much more.

Whether one or another fits your needs better, you have to decide... But you can just as easily ask if B2 can play in the same league as V3...

Coming from a guy who just shelled mad coin for the NI verbs, I still have to say.......for long lush verbage.....it's pretty damn hard to beat VVV. It's a seriously terrific verb , holds it's own to virtually anything.

The demo did get me that. That time out was like "omg, if I didn't have the time out it would be awesome!" :hihi:

hibidy wrote:Coming from a guy who just shelled mad coin for the NI verbs, I still have to say.......for long lush verbage.....it's pretty damn hard to beat VVV. It's a seriously terrific verb , holds it's own to virtually anything.
I like to think of VintageVerb as "playing nice with others." In other words, I'm totally fine if people use some other reverb AND ValhallaVintageVerb. This isn't "Highlander" - there can be more than one.
The demo did get me that. That time out was like "omg, if I didn't have the time out it would be awesome!" :hihi:
[MrBurns]Excellent.[/MrBurns]

Sean Costello

Return to “Effects”