What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Idea: ZynAddSubFx Wiki

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net

Moderator: paulnasca

KVRist

36 posts since 9 Nov, 2012

Postby [ZynAddSubFx]Johannes; Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:23 am

Hey,

I have tons of instruments I'd like to present. Really, a shame that they are hidden on my HDD :) On the other hand, I really miss professional sounds. My idea was to make a wiki, instead of just uploading the songs. Some reasons/ideas for a wiki:

• A detailed description:
    • What steps did you use to get this sound from the default preset?
    • What do each of the steps do?
    • What optional effects might be applied to this sound?
  • References: In which genres/songs can I find this sound?
  • A one click player for testing the sound (starts zynaddsubfx)
  • A one click player to start an LMMS demo (or maybe a WAV file)
  • Social aspects
    • like-button
    • favorite-button
    • feedback possibility
    • (donate button)

I thinks this could increase productivity with Zyn a lot. Does someone agree? I could make one on my own, but I think it should actually be hosted "official"...

Kind regards,
Johannes

PS.: Sorry if that should already exist :D I found nothing...
KVRist

199 posts since 21 Oct, 2008, from USA

Postby fundamental; Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:43 am

There used to be an instance running on sf.net when Harald Hvaal was active.
I did not see much usage of it overall and something on the sf site made it horrifically slow (my guess is between mysql performance or php execution speed).
Oh, and there was spam EVERYWHERE.

The demoboard of patches does strike me as an interesting idea overall.
I personally don't care much for the social/wiki aspects, but that could be attributed to taste and some past experience.

PS Don't forget to get me that C++ patch before spreading yourself too thin :p
ZynAddSubFX developer
KVRAF

2337 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:50 am

How about creating a manual to ZynAdd on that Wiki then? I'm pretty sure many people are literally overwhelmed (like me) when they open ZynAdd for the first time, and can't figure out how to get a damn tone out of it. It's just that complex that it desperately needs a good manual imo, the one on the dev's website is just not good enough as it doesn't really cover much of the synth's capabilities, and it's pretty much an engineers work to handle it.
KVRist

36 posts since 9 Nov, 2012

Postby [ZynAddSubFx]Johannes; Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:54 am

fundamental wrote:I personally don't care much for the social/wiki aspects, but that could be attributed to taste and some past experience.
I also don't see the social aspects that useful, though they could help finding the "best" sounds. (btw: The exams currently rob my weekend :( but in the next weeks I'll have way more time for C++)

chk071 wrote:It's just that complex that it desperately needs a good manual imo, the one on the dev's website is just not good enough as it doesn't really cover much of the synth's capabilities, and it's pretty much an engineers work to handle it.
A wiki does not need to be restricted to some example sounds. I agree, a general manual would be awesome. However, my post was more about the problem of closed source in music. There's a cool song, and you want to get exactly that sound with Zyn. But even if you know where to find what in Zyn, it seems hard to know how to create that sound you like...
KVRAF

2337 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:00 am

You're right. There could be more tutorials on how to create specific sounds for sure.
KVRist

112 posts since 16 Jul, 2012, from Vail, AZ

Postby ishkabbible; Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:57 am

Are y'all implying that there is some other way to patch Zyn besides "poke at it till ya like it"? :hihi:
KVRAF

4235 posts since 5 Aug, 2006, from UK - Here!

Postby folderol; Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:46 am

ishkabbible wrote:Are y'all implying that there is some other way to patch Zyn besides "poke at it till ya like it"? :hihi:

... and more to the point, when you hear something that sounds good, save it immediately!!
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)
KVRist

Postby ishkabbible; Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:01 pm

folderol wrote:
ishkabbible wrote:Are y'all implying that there is some other way to patch Zyn besides "poke at it till ya like it"? :hihi:

... and more to the point, when you hear something that sounds good, save it immediately!!

Precisely why I haven't just zipped up all my patches and posted them - I have hundreds of those intermediate results and serendipitous discoveries scattered throughout my collection, and I need to either filter them out or at least give them more meaningful names.
KVRer

1 post since 16 Oct, 2013

Postby nmoden; Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:04 pm

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.

[ZynAddSubFx]Johannes wrote:My idea was to make a wiki, instead of just uploading the songs.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/zynaddsubfx_manual (http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/zynaddsubfx_manual)

the linuxaudio wiki has an updated manual for zynaddsubfx and would probably be very receptive to hosting any wiki-relevant information for zyn. It similarly already has pages with links to different sample libraries, so I imagine that presets would be equally valuable to them.
KVRist

Postby ishkabbible; Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:16 pm

nmoden wrote:and would probably be very receptive to hosting any wiki-relevant information for zyn.

I would be happy to contribute what I have learned about ZASF to the manual, but it isn't clear how one goes about becoming an editor, or if they even allow us winders folk to play in their sandbox 8)
KVRist

199 posts since 21 Oct, 2008, from USA

Postby fundamental; Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:51 am

I'd still prefer stuff to get into the documentation shipped in git for general docs, but you're free to do whatever you want.
If you send in a patch for a section of the git docs and I should be able to merge it in after doing a quick english/correctness check.
ZynAddSubFX developer

Moderator: paulnasca

Return to ZynAddSubFX