What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

SilverBox planned UI changes

Official support for: spectralhead.com

Moderator: scoofy

KVRist

196 posts since 25 Dec, 2004, from Hungary

Postby scoofy; Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:41 am SilverBox planned UI changes

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a few changes in the next SilverBox updates. Some of these involve the user interface.

First of all, I'd like to simplify it a little by removing ...

1) the HIGHPASS option, and instead use an automatic setting based on the distortion amount.

2) the QUALITY option, and instead use an automatic setting based on the distortion amount, giving minimum aliasing. This option is only there to save a little CPU anyways.

3) the VCF tune knob. It's a bad idea anyways, inspired by a hidden tuning trim pot inside the 303. Sooner or later I'd like to replace it with a 'cutoff range extension' switch (or two, each for lower and upper end).

4) the keyboard image in the skin, to fix that old, annyoing "stuck keyboard image" skinning problem. Apparently, this was a SynthEdit-related bug that I never managed to fix, and was waiting for a new SynthEdit version (which basically still haven't really arrived yet, so I stopped waiting for it). Instead, the keyboard image will be part of the background, so anyone wanting to create a custom skin can change it with the background. Sounds like a good fix for this issue.

I was reluctant to do these changes without discussing them with my past and possible future users, so feel free to share your opinion.

Also, what is your preferred communication channel nowadays? This forum, a mailing list, facebook... What is your preference?

Peter
KVRist

Postby scoofy; Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:52 am

Also please post any other requests that you would like to see in future SilverBox versions.

The following have been requested already, and will be implemented sooner or later:

- keyboard scales
- multiple patterns
- undo
- shuffle
- Mac version

Anything else that you want or miss?

I also plan to add the following in a later version some time in the future ("SilverBox 2"):

- adjustable gate length
- unison osc
- reso boost switch
- decay length switch
- zero envmod switch
- pattern import/export
- a sample loader oscillator?

Any other wishes? I'd really like keep this version also minimalistic and simple, so keep the number of UI elements as few as possible.

Peter
KVRer

4 posts since 14 Jul, 2007

Postby slyd; Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:53 am

64bit i hope?
KVRAF

4286 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Postby Sendy; Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:13 am

I'd rather retain control over the highpass and quality settings. I find the right setting here can polish the sound up a bit, but the best setting often depends on the context of your track, so automatic settings seem a bit clumsy to me. I usually have the quality on high and wouldn't ever lower it.

Personally I'd love to see an envelope invert switch for the filter, but I think I suggested this before and it was no-noed. Still, I think either that or an attack setting would be great for the highpass mode, where the filter closes *upward* not downward.

Sample oscillator would be great, but how about a pulsewidth mode?

Multiple patterns would be hugely welcome, saves having to load several instances :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp!
KVRist

390 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Mexico City

Postby paveloso; Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:23 am

Make it 64-bit, please! :)
KVRist

Postby scoofy; Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:39 am

Sendy wrote:I'd rather retain control over the highpass and quality settings. I find the right setting here can polish the sound up a bit, but the best setting often depends on the context of your track, so automatic settings seem a bit clumsy to me.

You're right, this would mean less control. My plan is to make the highpass setting auto-adapt, so when you add more overdrive, it will automatically "polish the sound up a bit". We'll see how well that works - if many people would miss it, I'll keep that feature. Nowadays I'm aiming for a more minimalistic interface (in the spirit of the 303).

Sendy wrote:I usually have the quality on high and wouldn't ever lower it.

Exactly. CPUs are fast today, no need to use 'CPU saving' mode any more.

Sendy wrote:Personally I'd love to see an envelope invert switch for the filter, but I think I suggested this before and it was no-noed. Still, I think either that or an attack setting would be great for the highpass mode, where the filter closes *upward* not downward.

I'll add an option to extend the cutoff range at least an octave deeper. This will improve the highpass mode a lot.

I think there's going to be a hidden 'advanced settings' panel in SilverBox2, where you can apply mods and special settings. I could add an 'envelope invert' switch there. I'll test how it sounds.

Sendy wrote:Sample oscillator would be great, but how about a pulsewidth mode?

The 303 pulse wave is very special, having a specifiec, varying pulse width for each note. Changing that would result in losing the 303 character.
KVRian

979 posts since 3 Jul, 2009

Postby sonicpowa; Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:59 am

scoofy wrote:I think there's going to be a hidden 'advanced settings' panel in SilverBox2, where you can apply mods and special settings.
Excellent!
Sample osc sounds interesting too.
KVRian

640 posts since 7 Jun, 2007

Postby xalama qo; Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:19 am

Great to hear some new development on the horizon!
I like the idea of keeping the main UI very simple, but having an advanced settings panel, similar to the 'tweak' panel in u-he ACE.
Might be nice to see polyphony/chord sequencing, PWM, sub-osc etc as under the hood options...but that might be losing focus a bit!
Things in the current version that could be improved IMO are:
- the size of the randomize amount knobs, too small.
- clearer labeling of what the randomize controls do in the global section (after a break from using Silverbox i always have to re-familiarize myself with what does what there)
- the Filter type and Drive selector dials work backwards...well, not really, but after mousing the other synth controls these always seem backward. I'd prefer to be able to click directly on the text to be able to select filter and drive types.
My 2c. :)
All the best with future updates!
KVRAF

2224 posts since 29 Aug, 2001, from peninsulae italica

Postby waiting man; Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:22 am

midi drag and drop from silverbox's sequencer to host would be hot, specially if shuffle is added.
KVRAF

2921 posts since 22 Jul, 2006, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby nix808; Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:52 am

Hey Peter,
I think I sold this,
but was just looking at the skin I made and thought I want to run it,
so I bought it again.
I fully intend to update my skin if u update the plug.
Cheers, Nick
I think there is 64-bit in SE now?
I found the files for Psy Kick,
if u would like me to work on the skin for that too.
I would like it in my plug line-up,
but I can't live with the skin as is

edit-so yeah, it would be well cool if the SB update is skinnable
edit2-It would be great to have randomise slide on bar change
KVRAF

5930 posts since 25 Sep, 2003, from right here, as you can see ...

Postby brok landers; Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:42 am

scoofy wrote:Also please post any other requests that you would like to see in future SilverBox versions.

The following have been requested already, and will be implemented sooner or later:

- keyboard scales
- multiple patterns
- undo
- shuffle
- Mac version
>snip<

are you going fully c++?
yes, yes, yes... thanks for considering this. i wrote you an email ages ago, that this was the only thing i missed on silverbox.
reg, the brok
-gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man-

Moderator: scoofy

Return to Spectralhead Audio