do you think cubase is falling behind?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bludreamsounds wrote:Cubase is a VERY capable daw.
It really is. In all honesty, if you're a happy and productive Cubase user you maybe should just intentionally avoid spending any - serious - time working in what are subjectively much better UI's for any length of time and just be happy and productive... becasue it may (in some cases) actually begin to annoy you. That doesn't mean Cubase sucks though. :)

It's like driving my "now so new SUV" and being really happy with it actually, and it's "paid off" status, ... but going on vacation and renting a new one ... then driving mine again later and starting to notice how it's really not all that great in comparison in some distinct ways. :) It's a variant of the old saying, "What you don't know about can't annoy you."... like if your wife cheating. If you never know she is you might be happily married to her for 50 years with no issues at all. :lol:

Steinberg is acutely aware of those differences and the Cubase 7 mixer re-design was done specifically to address some of those glaring differences between the rather dated "SX" style console model in Cubase 6 and more modern UIs.

They publicly admitted (to their credit) that they didnt finish... becasue they kinda ran out of time. The other part of that plan will probably be more in the arrange screen I think, things like hiding tracks at will and similar.

Regarding the OP issues, could someone give me a quick refresher on sample rate and latency? My current setup is fine, but I find that I'm using more effects than ever, and while I haven't had crashes as a result, the meter seems a bit higher than I recall it used to.

I've got a Kontrol Audio 6, and when I checked, it's set for 196 and it shows a latency of between 6-8 ms. If I go to something like 512, does that increase the latency? What are the tradeoffs, etc?

Thanks
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I think his issues have been resolved. I'll let him fill you in.

hibidy wrote:I think his issues have been resolved. I'll let him fill you in.
I gathered that from his posts. I'm just trying to figure out if MY setup is maximized. Of course, if it ain't broke . . .

cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I've been running Cubase 7 since 7.0.0 without issues on three systems.

2 Windows 7 x64 and one Mac OS X 10.8, importing large projects from Cubase 6 and 6.5 with 120-130 plug-ins instances (VST and VSTi) shown no noticeable difference (well below a 5% on 90% ASIO load).

The systems are properly built and tuned - well, the Windows at lease, the Mac is a standard one, audio cards are RME (and Yamaha / Steinberg for testing).

I read a few pages back that someone is surprised to see that VST2 plug-ins still load ASIO when not in use. This is not going to change, release processing to soften ASIO load is a VST3 specification.

As per "I don't want to contact Steinberg / NI", I think it's wrong - support teams know what to ask, where to look and the common problems users face.

double post - sorry, wrong button

Marcus797 wrote:Soooooo far behind....
Totally. Raiding the 25 year old goody cupboard for new features....

That title is strange.... Cubase may not be the "one" for all people but one thing it isn't is "falling behind." Logic maybe, but not Cubase. :roll:

captain caveman wrote:
Marcus797 wrote:Soooooo far behind....
Totally. Raiding the 25 year old goody cupboard for new features....
lol, do you still have that up and running? I haven't been able to for years. But yeah, a lot of the snazzy stuff hosts are crowing about have been available either in other applications or in dedicated hardware for a long long time.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:lol, do you still have that up and running? I haven't been able to for years. But yeah, a lot of the snazzy stuff hosts are crowing about have been available either in other applications or in dedicated hardware for a long long time.
It runs in Amiga Forever and is freeware these days if you want a play around. I never did have an Amiga but checked out BnP last year after someone on the Reaper forum kept mentioning it. It really was ahead of its time with the plugin functionality (linked to the master track info too).

BERFAB wrote:Regarding the OP issues, could someone give me a quick refresher on sample rate and latency? My current setup is fine, but I find that I'm using more effects than ever, and while I haven't had crashes as a result, the meter seems a bit higher than I recall it used to.

I've got a Kontrol Audio 6, and when I checked, it's set for 196 and it shows a latency of between 6-8 ms. If I go to something like 512, does that increase the latency? What are the tradeoffs, etc?

Thanks
-B
sure, i use 512 then as the cpu load gets higher, i keep raising it up too max 4096. at 4096, you can get a good deal more plugins then at 512.

don't get confused about the cpu/asio meter as it start off quite high especially when played on a midi controller. as cpu load is increased, the meter slows the cpu load rate as you add more cpu load, the meter only increases a small bit till it gets near to peak then starts to show you a true readout.

I came from Logic - to Ableton Live. Ive been looking at Cubase and feeling like its ahead of other DAW at the minute. Maybe Im missing something - but the new mixer with channel strip, metering, chord track, vari audio (multi cahnnel)...it seems ahead of many if not most DAW. The only drawbacks appear that the included plugins are average...the dongle...and maybe it has some drag and drop issues?
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

BERFAB wrote:I love Cubase and have used it since SX2. I faithfully upgrade, and every time I do, I am consistently amazed by the number of added features. It is easily the best gear money I spend all year.

At this point (Cubase 7), I probably really only use about 40% of its features. My primary objective is to write and record music, which it does very well. However, on those occasions when I just sit down and explore it, I'm constantly finding little gems and surprises.
That sounds like me, but I'm still happily at C5.
SJ, you still in Prattville? If so, I need to ride down and have a beer with you.

LawrenceF wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote: the editors already have docking.
No sir, they actually don't. :) The audio editor, the midi editor, the drum editor, the score editor, the logical editor ... those are all "editors", and none of them dock afaik
I think I don't know what docking even is! There's your blissful ignorance, what I don't know doesn't annoy me! :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”