MUX 5 Vst Keeps Crashing (Fixed)

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I'm using Reaper 4.32 32bit and FL Studio 10.09, with the same problem in each.

For some reason, after about 10 minutes of using MUX, the text in all the menus and on the modules is replaced with different text which reads:

{Graphics}/Common.

MUX then completely crashes soon after. I haven't narrowed down any particular repeatable way to make this happen, it just seems to happen no matter what after a little while. I'm not sure if it's happened just using the MUX modules exclusively, because I generally load vst's, so I'll investigate further on that one.

Has anyone else experienced this problem at all?

Cheers!
Last edited by Satch1 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Are you using the latest version of MUX Vst i.e. MUX 5.0.39? You can check that via the main options menu (top-right of main editor window) -> About MUX.

Some more questions in order to narrow this down: Are you using multiple instances of the MUX? How many cpu cores does your computer have?

Yes I've got the latest version. :wink:

By the way I've just tested to see if it crashes whilst using only MUX modules, and it didn't. It seems to be a vst issue. I'll check some more later. Thanks.

mutools wrote:Some more questions in order to narrow this down: Are you using multiple instances of the MUX? How many cpu cores does your computer have?
Just one instance of MUX, and quadcore CPU.

Satch1 wrote:Yes I've got the latest version. :wink:

By the way I've just tested to see if it crashes whilst using only MUX modules, and it didn't. It seems to be a vst issue. I'll check some more later. Thanks.
Ok, if you have any more pieces of the puzzle please let me know, and i'll further check whether there is something wrong on MUX side. Thanks.

Will do, thanks. :wink:

Hello, I've done some more testing to try and solve the puzzle. Here's what I've found. It's still not crashed whilst using only MUX modules. The way I always make it crash is by loading MUX as an effect and inserting a vst into it before the mixer strip, then run some audio through it whilst playing about with the effect. Sometimes it crashes within a minute, but sometimes it takes much longer. I've tried it with Fxpansion Maul, u-he Uhbik-G, Valhalla VRoom and Ubermod, so far, and MUX crashed everytime.
By the way, I've only been using Reaper today. I'll check it with FL Studio again in a bit, but I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen.

I've also discovered some more misbehaviour whilst playing about. MUX isn't responding to left mouse clicks very well in the editor. Double clicking modules rarely has the desired effect, and sometimes it takes many more clicks before the GUI opens for a module. This happens whether it's a vst or MUX modules.

Also, there's problems with using drop down menu's of vst's inside of MUX. For instance, it quite often takes more than one click to choose the desired entry in a drop down menu in any u-he plugin. The menu's in Valhalla plugins though, are completely inaccessable. As soon as you let go of the mouse button, the menu closes.

Ok, that's all I've got for you for now. I'll keep testing further and see what I find. :wink:

Satch1 wrote:Hello, I've done some more testing to try and solve the puzzle. Here's what I've found. It's still not crashed whilst using only MUX modules. The way I always make it crash is by loading MUX as an effect and inserting a vst into it before the mixer strip, then run some audio through it whilst playing about with the effect. Sometimes it crashes within a minute, but sometimes it takes much longer. I've tried it with Fxpansion Maul, u-he Uhbik-G, Valhalla VRoom and Ubermod, so far, and MUX crashed everytime.
By the way, I've only been using Reaper today. I'll check it with FL Studio again in a bit, but I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen.
I'll do some extra tests on my side. Will get back on this.
I've also discovered some more misbehaviour whilst playing about. MUX isn't responding to left mouse clicks very well in the editor. Double clicking modules rarely has the desired effect, and sometimes it takes many more clicks before the GUI opens for a module. This happens whether it's a vst or MUX modules.
Could it be that you're double-clicking more slowly? If that's the case you can increase the doubleclick detect time, see http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/common ... ences.html
Also, there's problems with using drop down menu's of vst's inside of MUX. For instance, it quite often takes more than one click to choose the desired entry in a drop down menu in any u-he plugin. The menu's in Valhalla plugins though, are completely inaccessable. As soon as you let go of the mouse button, the menu closes.

Ok, that's all I've got for you for now. I'll keep testing further and see what I find. :wink:
I investigated the Valhalla issue some time ago and i had no reason to assume that it would be a MUX problem. Anyway as i don't know everything and i can't see inside a vst plug i proposed the Valhalla dev to cooperate on this in order to sort this out, but he was not interested. Again: I can't look inside a VST, a VST is like a black box to the host.

Ok scratch everything I said about mouse clicking and menu selecting. Because I had been having crashes I was running MUX as a dedicated process inside Reaper to stop it bringing Reaper down with it. Mouse and menu functioning is back to normal when I run it natively. Thanks for the suggestion of the double click detect time anyway... useful to know. :)

Hello Jo, just a small update.

I can confirm that MUX crashes just the same in FL Studio. In Reaper though, there's an option which lets you run a plugin in 'Buggy plugin compatability mode', which seems to stop MUX crashing. I don't know what this mode is doing exactly, but at least (so far anyway) it allows me to use vst's in MUX.

Have you done any tests at your end yet? If so, any findings?

Thanks for the extra info, all bits of info are helpful in finding the problem. I have indeed tried to crash MUX Vst based on your descriptions but so far 'no luck'. Maybe it's VST plugin dependent? Can you please try to find a simple freeware but still good quality (read: stable) VST plugin that can be used to repeat the crash?

Hi Jo, I think I might just have found what the problem is. I use Automap plugins and I had MUX loaded as one and then Automap plugins within MUX. So it seems that Automap plugins within Automap plugins causes some kind of conflict. I did get a crash a couple more times after this discovery, but I think that was because of Fxpansion Maul which seems to have a denormalisation issue, causing massive CPU hits.
Another thing, I found that the free Valhalla FreqEcho plugin doesn't produce any audio when used in MUX. I don't know whether this is a MUX issue but it works fine outside of MUX.
Also I've found that the drop down menu's in Valhalladsp plugs sometimes work fine and sometimes they're broke, like I described previously.

I have an image for you which shows what happens when MUX crashed.

[img][img]http://s18.postimage.org/481mu90rp/MUX_Crash.jpg[/img][/img]

Satch1 wrote:Hi Jo, I think I might just have found what the problem is. I use Automap plugins and I had MUX loaded as one and then Automap plugins within MUX. So it seems that Automap plugins within Automap plugins causes some kind of conflict.
So the picture you included here above, with the strange texts, that only happened when using AutoMap?
I did get a crash a couple more times after this discovery, but I think that was because of Fxpansion Maul which seems to have a denormalisation issue, causing massive CPU hits.
While i was researching your reports i also had a crash with Maul. It was inside Maul code, not inside MuLab/MUX code.
Another thing, I found that the free Valhalla FreqEcho plugin doesn't produce any audio when used in MUX. I don't know whether this is a MUX issue but it works fine outside of MUX.
Are you sure you connected it in a proper way, and that you didn't have mutes somewhere etc. I mean maybe it was a user mistake. (it happens to all of us sometimes)
Also I've found that the drop down menu's in Valhalladsp plugs sometimes work fine and sometimes they're broke, like I described previously.
I had another look at it, in the hope to find a reason, but i didn't find a reason. Again: It's impossible for me to look inside the plugin and check why that popup menu is unexpectedly closed. It should really be researched by the plugin developer. It's much more easy for the plugin dev to put a breakpoint at that popup menu and track why it is closed. I suspect it is something in the JUCE framework. Hopefully one day soon there will be a plugin dev that wants to cooperate on this JUCE plugin popup menu issue so it can be sorted out. That will be best for everyone (host dev + plug dev + users)

Yes the image is when using Automap.

Regarding Valhalla FreqEcho, I just inserted it without changing anything. It stops audio going to the output... disabling it using the yellow button in the MUX plugin window lets the audio pass to the output. I wonder if this is a fault of MUX or FreqEcho, or any other vst's behave this way. Time will tell I suppose.

Return to “MUTOOLS”