How have fab filter kept cpu so low on Twin2? Most under rated synth of the decade?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote:.btw... is there something weird with panning in Twin? I remember when I tried it, I could not pan an osc all the way to left or right...
it has a Stereo knob (0-200%) it might be that that was set to less than 100. But I'll check when I have a chance.

BDeep wrote:
pdxindy wrote:.btw... is there something weird with panning in Twin? I remember when I tried it, I could not pan an osc all the way to left or right...
it has a Stereo knob (0-200%) it might be that that was set to less than 100. But I'll check when I have a chance.
oh, yes, that was it... I remember setting it to 0% thinking that would remove any stereo effect after the osc's... maybe it should be -100 to 100

Amen to that. FF Twin is absolutely underrated. True, as another poster said, there is some aliasing, but for a backing synth, it's a powerhouse. Quite a complex architecture, so it'll make pretty much whatever you need for your track.

I wouldn't recommend it for people looking for hard, aggressive sounds, though - it won't do good Skrillex basses or Hardstyle leads, for example. Twin is very smooth and laid-back.

You know, I just had a thought...it'd be very interesting to see Fabfilter do a straight-up digital synth. Take Twin, make it an FM synth instead of VA, add a very limited version of Saturn built in...oh yeah :).
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

I'm using saturn with it all the time.

I stand by what i say, i think there are worse sounding synths that use more cpu.

and that if fab filter decided to build a monster analog, they would do it at much more efficient cpu than anyone else

as far as aliasing, that is taken care of at 96k, and twin at 96k is more efficient than many others at 44.1

explain that :shrug:

I love Twin2.

Yes it sound good. Yes it sounds better at 96KHz. Yes its very efficient. But I mostly love it because of the interface: I can dial in sounds from scratch as part of the creative writing process, without having to "switch sides of my brain" if you see what I mean.

TheoM wrote:I'm using saturn with it all the time.

I stand by what i say, i think there are worse sounding synths that use more cpu.

and that if fab filter decided to build a monster analog, they would do it at much more efficient cpu than anyone else

as far as aliasing, that is taken care of at 96k, and twin at 96k is more efficient than many others at 44.1

explain that :shrug:
it has already been explained. it simply isnt a cpu hungry synth because it doesnt need to be. fabfilters filter technology is almost a decade old at this point and the synth has no oversampling to speak of. add on top of that fabfilters well optimized coding and you have yourself a cpu efficient plugin

no big mystery.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

@midnight wrote:You can test it yourself simply by loading a sawtooth wave, playing the highest notes on the keyboard, with the filter engaged and wide open, and then pitch bend. You will hear a lot of aliasing.
Totally. I actually wrote to Fabfilter about this ages ago and they agreed. It's a really nice synth but I'm still waiting for them to improve its sonics. It's possible it didn't have enough success to warrant urgent development.

I need to get Twin out again and muck around with it.....but Vaz Modular is as old as f**k but still sounds awesome and is WAY older...plus the price has been dropped to £130

Return to “Instruments”