What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Beyond The Ninth Circle - Progressive Metal

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

KVRist
 
143 posts since 3 Oct, 2012, from VA, USA
 

Postby audiosupernova; Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:23 pm Beyond The Ninth Circle - Progressive Metal

Edit: composition complete.

So, new track, once again with Shreddage 2 and Shreddage Bass. This contains the little riff you may have heard in my tutorial stickied at the top of the Impact Soundworks Forum. This is very much WIP, but is good enough to show off. I've got another minute or two of content incoming, but this should give you some killer metal riffs to enjoy. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

http://soundcloud.com/audiosupernova/be ... nth-circle
Last edited by audiosupernova on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
6444 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK
  

Postby seismic1; Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Excellent track. I really like the progressive style you have got here. It is the real deal as far as I'm concerned. I'm really impressed with those sustained lead sounds. Are they achievable with Shreddage 2 out of the box, or have you routed these through amp and cabinet sims too?

Good work :)
KVRist
 
143 posts since 3 Oct, 2012, from VA, USA
 

Postby audiosupernova; Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:22 am

seismic1 wrote:Excellent track. I really like the progressive style you have got here. It is the real deal as far as I'm concerned. I'm really impressed with those sustained lead sounds. Are they achievable with Shreddage 2 out of the box, or have you routed these through amp and cabinet sims too?

Good work :)


Thanks a lot Seismic1, that really means a lot. I joke around with my friend that I'm making music that no one likes, because very few people seem to be into progressive metal. I make the kind of music that I enjoy listening to, and I'm just excited that a few others enjoy it too.

So, everything is running through Amplitube 3 for amplification. Nothing weird going on to get this sound. I have Amplitube in the effects chain, and an EQ to shape the sound, then the Maximus plugin on my master output.


Updated the OP btw, new material...almost 3 minutes of it.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
4269 posts since 5 Aug, 2006, from UK - Here!
  

Postby folderol; Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:40 am

That was really rather tasty. I think I'll go out an wrestle a few bears now :P

What a shame, there don't seem to be any here :D
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)
KVRist
 
143 posts since 3 Oct, 2012, from VA, USA
 

Postby audiosupernova; Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:07 pm

folderol wrote:That was really rather tasty. I think I'll go out an wrestle a few bears now :P

What a shame, there don't seem to be any here :D


Nutritious and delicious! Thanks for the listen, best of luck with that bear ;)
KVRAF
 
10211 posts since 17 Sep, 2004, from Austin, TX
 

Postby runagate; Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:15 pm

I don't often hear metal that's progressive enough for my taste, and I gotta hand it to you - there's some damned nice drum fills in there, and you can syncopate a hell of a lot better than most metalheads. Very nice.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
6444 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK
  

Postby seismic1; Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Those additions are great. I might get myself some Shreddage in a couple of months.

Good work :)
KVRist
 
143 posts since 3 Oct, 2012, from VA, USA
 

Postby audiosupernova; Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:52 pm

runagate wrote:I don't often hear metal that's progressive enough for my taste, and I gotta hand it to you - there's some damned nice drum fills in there, and you can syncopate a hell of a lot better than most metalheads. Very nice.


Hey thanks runagate! 20 years playing piano and 12 years playing drums and all those music theory courses are hopefully paying off ;). I've played in a few live bands in my time as well, and this was simply the natural progression of me desiring more "go it alone." Too much drama in a real band...

These days I write all my songs on the keyboard and with my Roland TD9-KX2 electronic drum set.
KVRAF
 
10211 posts since 17 Sep, 2004, from Austin, TX
 

Postby runagate; Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:06 pm

audiosupernova wrote:
runagate wrote:I don't often hear metal that's progressive enough for my taste, and I gotta hand it to you - there's some damned nice drum fills in there, and you can syncopate a hell of a lot better than most metalheads. Very nice.


Hey thanks runagate! 20 years playing piano and 12 years playing drums and all those music theory courses are hopefully paying off ;). I've played in a few live bands in my time as well, and this was simply the natural progression of me desiring more "go it alone." Too much drama in a real band...

These days I write all my songs on the keyboard and with my Roland TD9-KX2 electronic drum set.


Just to be clear, I was complimenting your lead guitar syncopation; whereas, obviously, the drums rock ;)

That guitar is keyboard-played? Jeez.

I agree with the "go it alone" - my attraction to FL Studio was seeing an incompetent and talentless friend using it, and I though, sweet I can finally stop having to deal with drummers unable to play uneven meters, fluctuating tempos, etc. (and starting beds on fire with underage girls in them and all that you hear about). What have I least learned to do? Sequence drums :(

While gone from KVR and music for the last couple of years I tried to get others to team up with me - even got my favorite guitar player after 11 years of trying - to temper my complete inability to do radically non-normal things every time I make a song - and what would you know? Drama never allowed such things to coalesce in about 12 tries (!?)

So I can appreciate, and am all the more impressed by, your solo and in-the-box efforts here. Kudos.
KVRist
 
143 posts since 3 Oct, 2012, from VA, USA
 

Postby audiosupernova; Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm

runagate wrote:Just to be clear, I was complimenting your lead guitar syncopation; whereas, obviously, the drums rock ;)

That guitar is keyboard-played? Jeez.


Yeah, it's all Impact Soundworks Shreddage 2 VST. I do play guitar, but I'm not very good. This lets me play what I'm "thinking".

I had a band, most recently...about 2 years ago. I think our self proclaimed "leader" was mentally retarded, basically got the entire band to quit. Now the guitarist and myself both have "solo projects" that we collaborate on from time to time. That consists of him recording a song and sending me project files, then I write parts, and send him project files back. It's a good system. :D

Ah...drummers who can't drum...my favorite. Being a drummer...I loved one guitarist I played with who couldn't follow the beat to save his life...that didn't last long. :lol:
User avatar
KVRAF
 
4269 posts since 5 Aug, 2006, from UK - Here!
  

Postby folderol; Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:00 am

More years ago than I care to remember I helped a drummer recovering his chops after a drugs problem.

We'd start out with me playing something quite simple, usually a 12bar, and once he was in the grove and stable I'd just fade out. At first he'd go for a while then get out of sync. stop, swear profusely, then we'd start again. This would go on for about a 2 hour session which was as much as either of us could stand.

As his system cleared of the crap and his strength came back I was able to see what a fantastic player he had been, and was becoming again. By the time we parted company I'd start him with just a few bars, he'd take off, morph to some incredible percussive gymnastics, then tame it down, and give me the nod to come in again so he could just wind down and chill.

P.S.
I'm crap any anything involving percussion :(
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)
KVRist
 
143 posts since 3 Oct, 2012, from VA, USA
 

Postby audiosupernova; Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:20 am

Cleaned up the minor/major/minor transition at 4:25 - 4:40. New copy uploaded.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
4269 posts since 5 Aug, 2006, from UK - Here!
  

Postby folderol; Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:44 am

News at 11:
Bears more at risk than previously thought :D

P.S.
Stuck at home with a cold so trawling all the music sites I can find!
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe