Is there any reason to use Reason anymore?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

there is no cable.

vurt wrote:there is no cable.
I have taught you all I can teach you.

Go out into the world.

Reason is a beautiful piece of software and a wonder to stare at -- but I don't own/use it for the following reasons:

1. I'm happy to be "in the box" but I don't want my "box to be in box" or my "box to be in a box that is the only box"

2. I want to have the freedom of being able to use any and all third party plugins and/or effects as I see fit

3. I do not want my DAW to be an "instrument", especially if it's at the cost of excluding the above points, I want my DAW to be a HOST.

This is why I like S1, it's a DAW first and foremost w/ an emphasis on Host/Workflow and not Instruments and "integrated instrumenty" stuff like Reason, or even Ableton for that matter.

S1 supports pretty much every plugin standard and even "rewire" for Ableton etc, so it fits the "Mothership" requirement perfectly.

S1's also cross-platform, which as a current Mac user that doesn't want his "hardware box to dictate the software box", is important to me since I might switch OS's or want to collaborate with non-Mac users etc. (read: sorry Logic)

P.S. If there is ever a need for an example of excessive over-the-top Skeumorphic wank in all it's glory, look no further than Reason :)

P.P.S. I'm not trying to hijack this thread and turn it into a S1 love-fest, I'm only using it as an example to make my point(s).

8)

I kind of see it as "should I play my trumpet anymore now that I've bought a flute?"

Why worry about how it all fits together or if it's been around a long time, or if it's different from some other piece of software?

Surely the only thing that matters is if you can make music with it? If you can then question answered.

to the OP, what exactly would like Reason to do? if a song is in you how does Reason stop you from writing it? just curious?

to be honest i think the music will sound the same whatever DAW is used. the DAW does not change the music making abilities. it is just a conduit for ones thoughts.

I've been a Reason user since version 1.0, but I've never considered it my main DAW. The strength of Reason has always been the flexible routing possibilities that have enabled me to quickly experiment with soundscapes and build powerful combo patches.

However, when the Props decided to take a step away from electronic music making and instead gain more market shares from customers who want to record instruments/voice into audio files (i.e. Record), I lost some of my respect for them.

Over the years, it has just become worse. In today's marketing videos from Props, there's more of a mass market appeal and IKEA-look-alike slogans than ever before("Everything your music needs today. And tomorrow."). There's little, if any, appeal to nerdy tech stuff. Everything is about instant gratification, if-I-want-something-I-press-a-button-now way of stupidification. The innovation drive that once defined Props seems to be gone.

That's why I'm not using Reason as much anymore: I simply don't believe that Props have anything interesting to deliver anymore, so why should I bother investing in future versions of Reason?

The only software that I have a genuine respect for is Renoise. That software alone is worth 10 times more than all other DAWs on the planet combined.
Last edited by decalogue on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---

I am weaning myself off Reason. Prior to version 6, Reason was a great way to add instruments to my projects done in Live. It was lightweight way to add lots of sounds with an easy to use virtual rack. I was happy enough to use rewire, with Live handling rewire channels better than many other hosts.

However, with version 6 the dongle arrived, an increase use of CPU and RAM, and an additonal screen filled with a mixer that I didn't want to use. Then came 6.5, unsellable REs and a requirement, or at least a desire, to be connected to the internet. It just made no sense for me to continue with Reason so I invested in a few more plugins and sample sets for use solely with Live. And, for the moment at least, Reason remains only on my computer so I can still open older projects.

ive never owned reason, but always loved the idea of a faithful hardware representation, with all the quirks that entails.

the vertical rack is a bit confusing, i'd rather a new version 'broke out' of the rack and had modules connected on an XY space, like audiotool
http://www.audiotool.com/

I dont even mind that its self contained as that can be quite encouraging in terms of making you use what you have creatively, rather than falling into an ever spiralling descent of plugin gear lust and never actually DOING anything. (this is a fault of mine)

however i never actually got round to buying it as i think its incredibly overpriced for what it is.

Synthbuilder wrote:Prior to version 6, Reason was a great way to add instruments to my projects done in Live.
That was your old reason to live. What is your reason to live now?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Is there any reason to use Reason anymore?

This raises other question:

*Are you still able to use Ableton?

*Is Sonar still on the radar?

*Is it worth auditioning Audition?

*Is Tracktion gaining any traction?

:hihi:

Is there any logic in using Logic?

Do pro tools use Pro Tools?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

ive not used reason for many years,
but then...
we're all mad here.

How grim is Reaper?

Is there no end to Nuendo?

My reasons for using Reason: to make music and have fun doing it.

Meffy wrote: My reasons for using Reason: to make music and have fun doing it.
That's reasonable!

I haven't played around with Reason in quite some time, but the approach of being all-in-one always had merit just on stability and potential for low CPU usage. Unfortunately, Propellerheads completely screwed that up by Reason being single-threaded(not sure if that's still the case), and the fact that none of Reason's components were quite awesome enough. There's plenty of things they could've done to create an advantage considering they had complete control over their ecosystem, but they continued to be a "beginners" DAW that you would eventually move on from if you were ever to become famous.

Please disregard if Reason became awesome in the past 5 years and I wasn't paying attention. :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”